“Great, Unique Place to stay”
Review of Landers House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utica
Landers House
Ranked #1 of 1 Utica B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great, Unique Place to stay”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I planned an impromptu get-away down to Starved Rock to hike and relax. We booked the Caribou Cottage at Lander's House. We arrived late (about 10PM), and a key and welcome note were left for us on the front porch of the main house, which serves as a bed and breakfast. The cottages were around the back of the house. Our cottage was furnished with a giant taxidermied caribou head, as well as antique furniture and saddles. It reminded me of that show Northern Exposure. Fireplace and 2 seater hot tub in the living room area and neat lofted bedroom.
This place was lovely. It was fun and unique. The manager brought breakfast promptly at 10AM on both mornings we were there. She was very pleasant and really cares about improving the reputation of this establishment.
I thought that , for the area, the accomodations were a little pricey, but I think they've got a good thing going here. Very close to three nice state parks. Utica is a pretty sleepy town. Coming in from Chicago, it's a bit of a culture shock, but fun in a main street usa kind of way.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ETAmes

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I was very hesitant to stay at Landers House based off of the past reviews alone. I took the time to call and discuss my concerns with the Property manager-Tara. She was very informative, did a great job at easing my hesitations, appreciated my honesty and took very good care of me. This was for my fiances b-day, we had plans to stay in the area and enjoy the Ottawa Wine and Jazz festival.

We stayed in the La Noche cottage. We were greeted with a very warm welcome, laughs and personally shown to our room. The room was spotless, very clean and super cool!!! My fiance was taken and was emotionally surprised at the accommodations. Now understand, she has been all around the world, traveled to 28+ countries and has stayed every where possible from dirt floor 3rd world countries to the best of the best. She LOVED it!!! There were so many nice touches, from rose petals on the floor, up the stairs to the bed and around the jacuzzi tub, to music playing when we entered the room. The theme is fantastic, representing the decor and colors of Mexico.

There is a fireplace at the end of the bed, which is in an upstairs loft, a large jacuzzi tub downstairs, a water fountain in the wall, fiber optic lights in the ceiling to represent the stars of the Mexican Sky. The bathroom is roomy, there is a small kitchenette area, a great screened in patio where you can sit and enjoy breakfast.

We also had the honor to view one of the other rooms, which was a safari theme and it was just as nice and immaculately clean!!!

Besides general maintenance items on the outside of the grounds, ie: Lights on the walkways since it is very dark at night, fresh coat of paint and touch ups on the buildings themselves, the Rooms were absolutely Perfect! Our breakfast was delivered to our room right on time, which was also very good and filling!!! The fire pits outside of each room are also a very nice touch.

I would highly recommend Landers House for a quick getaway, an adventure at Starved Rock, Wine Tasting or just to enjoy the quaintness of the town and lodging.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lil_bru5620
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed September 14, 2010

The Landers House was a great experience. The service was outstanding, allowing me to check in late and having the room set up very nicely for me and my fiance. We stayed in La Noche, it was very romantic and she loved it which is what really matters. Everything was clean and my favorite part was the private firepit outfront of our patio. We brought s'more stuff and had two beautiful nights under the stars, just me and her. I could not asked for a better weekend. The room was everything I had hoped for, a really cool atmosphere and a great experience. It's in a great location, Utica is a small town with lots to do, winery's restaurants, 5 minutes from starved rock. It is not fancy or brand new, but it is simple and a beautiful getaway. Thank you to the people of Landers that made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Engaged910
Minooka
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My husband and I decided on a quick overnight get away...I found Landers House and we made a reservation, arriving that afternoon. Upon arrival...we almost turned around and left...the front yard landscape looked more like they were preparing for Fright Night...but being brave I said, well maybe it's better inside. We were taken to our room, Jungle Room theme and noticed the stained carpet and dusty stairway. Then the room seemed ok, huge tub, electric fire place...romantic enough. Then as we walked through the house I saw the cob webs, the dust, and just superifically cleaned, but looked alittle closer and you'll see very poor housekeeping. I wouldn't eat there if they did serve breakfast...slept well, but there was not a mattress pad, but a new looking mattress...I woke with bed bugs bites on my ankles...so I guess these reviews are pretty close to the truth...next time I'll plan ahead and stay at the Starved Rock Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cjwilson00
LandersHouse, Manager at Landers House, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Sorry for the delay in response. Landers House is currently under NEW management and employs all new staff members. In response to this review, all areas of concern have been addressed. Our new management team continues to strive to better serve our guests and their needs. Please contact our team @ landershouse@comcast.net or call 1-815-667-5170 to further discuss this matter.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I should've know something was wrong when they asked me to pay for the lodging the minute I walked through the door. The main house was ok looking, but when we were walked over to our 'suite' next door, I realized the website had decieved me. The second I walked into the house I was slapped in the face by the smell of mold and mildew. Immediately I was thinking this is not happening! Our 'suite' was clean and orderly, but the bathroom appeared to be in the middle of being renovated and the tub/shower was horrible. One of the knobs was broken and the curtain didn't wrap all the way around, allowing water to spray and splatter all over the place. The lawn furniture was covered in bird crap as well. The location was great, but the only time we saw the employees of the B&B was at the bar or when they were trying to get us to buy tickets to their "Branson style" show down the street, which in my opinion should've been free, after the financial robbery for the room. When I complained to the employee at the end, he looked confused and almost embarrassed to even work there. Quite honestly, I would've rather paid that kind of money to stay in the Tee Pee in the parking lot down the street! Would never go back there and would never recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank michellelynette34

chicago
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I still can't believe how bad our experience at the Landers house was. When we first got there, we were greeted by a teenager ready and waiting with our credit card slip to prepay. When we got to the cottage, I was appalled. The place had spiderwebs all over and had obviously not been cleaned in the last 6 months. On top of that we were paying $250 per night! There was even spiders in the shower! There wasn't even someone available on staff during the day for questions or to help with tips on the area. Save your money and go to the parks as a day trip or stay at the park lodge. This place markets itself as luxury accomodations when its really a ripoff and dirtier than a sleazy motel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chitraveler32

Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at Landers House twice - once in the cottage La Noche and once in the Serengeti cottage. My favorite was La Noche - though both were lovely. La Noche had fiber optic lights in the ceiling that was painted like the night sky - so it looked like twinkling stars. It was beautiful. Each cottage had it's own 2 person jacuzzi and 2 person shower, along with fireplace and upstairs sleeping loft. We were brought breakfast, juice and coffee in the morings. The food and service we received was wonderful. The best thing about Landers House was the attention to detail - every little nook had something in it to draw your eye.

The cost was a bit pricey for the cottages, but it was worth it for amazing the time that we had. There are 2 state parks close by that we went to. We also went horseback riding and rented jet-skis on the Illinois river. The only things I would say could be better would be some new mattresses (ours were very uncomfortable and sqeaky anytime you moved) and to replace the vcr's in the rooms with dvd players. Everything else would have been difficult to improve upon.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Silverchairchick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Best Western Oglesby Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area

Been to Landers House? Share your experiences!