“Awesome bithday party”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Utica
Bloomington, Illinois
“Awesome bithday party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here. The staff were great. the only suggestions I would present is that the housekeeping take extra care in making sure the room is good to go before a guest check in and the temperature of the water be raised. The kids that I had with me were not able to fully enjoy the water park because it was so cold. We also came at a time where they were doing construction to the amusement park ride so there was very little that we could enjoy. The stay was good...just a few things to consider before booking with Grizzly Jacks again

1 Thank Yakira D
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Sales Coordinator at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay here on Trip Advisor as guest feedback is is very important. I am sorry to hear that the water felt a bit cool. I have already forwarded this information to management and have been advised that a new heating system has just been installed and that the air and water temperatures should consistently stay regulated and warm all year long.

Thank you again for coming to the resort for such a special visit. I am sending my sincerest apologies on behalf of the resort for any inconvenience experienced during your stay and certainly speak for everyone in saying that we hope for the opportunity to welcome you and your family back for another opportunity to truly exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Muscatine, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed in the resort in a family suite. Our room was very nice. The beds were very comfortable. The sofa sleeper is a Queen size. The rooms are a little dark once the sun goes down. We were located close to the water park, which was very convenient. The water park is nice. The air temp was nice and warm. The water could of been a little warmer. The shuttle to the amusement area was very convenient. The children enjoyed the obstacle course.

Room Tip: Being in the lodge is very convenient in the winter.
1 Thank 307Traveler
Wow, thank you very much for taking the time to review of your stay at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort. The dim lighting has been addressed, the improvements are underway and the third floor is already complete! I am so glad to hear that you and your family were comfortable and that the shuttle was helpful.

Thank you for having your family stay with ours!
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had a great deal through Living Social for a two night stay for up to nine people in a vacation villa, which was beautiful. Other than it not having enough silverware (3 forks for 9 people made it very interesting to eat spaghetti!), we didn't have any problems. The waterpark was fun, but the water was VERY cold. There was a LOT of chlorine in it, too. The body slide wasn't operating, so that was kind of a bummer since they only have two slides for bigger kids, and one was not working. Also, bring your own towels if you can. There were no towels when we got there, and when we were ready to dry off, they had run out of towels again, so we had to wait 15 minutes for towels. The amusement park was not very amusing. When I made my reservation, I specifically asked whether the renovations were complete (I had visited back in June), and the agent said they should be. I made my reservation FOUR days before my arrival, and if only TWO rides were operational, I think the agent knew that there was no way the renovations would be done in four days. To make up for it, you get a wristband for unlimited laser tag, ropes course, inflatable bounce house, one kiddie ride, and one spinning ride. We had three tweens (12, 11, and 10), and they did everything except the bounce house and the kiddie ride. We had two 9 year olds, one of whom did everything except the bounce house and the kiddie ride. One 9 year old doesn't like spinning rides, so all he could do was the laser tag and the ropes course. We had a very small 6 year old with us, and she was too tall for the kiddie ride (by a couple of inches), and she was scared of the ropes course, so all she did was laser tag a couple of times. (She didn't want to do the bounce house by herself, and everyone else was too tall.) Needless to say, it wasn't very amusing for the 6 year old and the 9 year old who doesn't like spinning rides. It wasn't that amusing for the adults, either. We brought our own food for the most part since we were staying in the villa, and I also remembered from previous visits that the food wasn't that great. However, on the day we checked out, we couldn't eat lunch in our villa, so we ate at the restaurant in the amusement park, and we were pleasantly surprised. Service was a little slow, but the food was good. I would return, but only because it's really close by. There are better waterparks/indoor amusement parks, but not this close.

Room Tip: The vacation villas are awesome and so are the cabins.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for this thoughtful review of your stay at the resort. Guest feedback is very important to the management team and I will certainly forward the comments to them promptly. I agree, the food at Jack's Place is delicious. My favorite is the pizza! I am also glad to hear that you enjoy the two-story Vacation Villas. They really are a luxurious, yet cozy home away from home.

Thanks again and I hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to truly exceed your expectations
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

had a great experience with my 2 preschool age boys ( age 3 &4). easy areas in the waterpark for safe play with them and plenty to explore in the waterpark for the Sunday/Monday we were there. They rode the family slide hundreds of times, enjoyed the lazy river and overall swimming experience. we didn't experience the 2 big waterslides ourselves and the families we saw seemed to enjoy the wave pool more.

hotel rooms were spacious (yay) with room to move around and the beds were so comfortable!

The restaurant was just okay, but you can pack your own snacks/food and eat in the hotel room as an alternative. the snack bar at the waterpark was pricey but convenient- limited in options.

the amusement park was a lot less great for them, but they did enjoy the bounce house while we waited for our dinner in the attached restaurant. If you are there in the winter, you definitely want to choose a time when you can maximize the water park. That's the real reason to choose this resort.

Room Tip: bring sandels. As you travel from your room down to the waterpark the carpet is kind of icky for ba...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Sales Coordinator at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
This is grand news! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such thoughtful information here on Trip Advisor. The Enchanted Forest indoor amusement park is in the process of updating the adventure park and we can't wait to reveal all of the updates that are underway. I'm so glad to hear that you and the family were able to escape the winter cold and enjoy some warm, splish-splashen fun at Grand Bear Falls.

Thanks again and we are certainly hoping for the opportunity to welcome you and children back for many future visits!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed in the Villa and it was just like what I had seen in the pictures on their website. It was very spacious and clean. The water park smelled a lot like chlorine though. I'm not sure if this is always the case or it was just the weekend that we stayed, so we didn't enjoy much of the water park. Although the water park wasn't the best part we enjoyed going to Enchanted Forest. It has many games/rides and the kids had lots of fun there. Despite the few problems I encountered, I was satisfied with my stay and I hope to go back soon.

• Stayed January 2014
Wow, thank you for this wonderful review of your recent stay at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort! I completely agree that the Vacation Villas provide a cozy, home away from home retreat. They really are grand. We couldn't be happier that you and you family had a great visit and we can't wait to welcome your back for another stay!

Thanks again!
South Holland, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Beautiful Villa. We stayed in O2. Sleeper sofa had a lousy mattress. Great lay-out for families. Larger than pictured! I understand they had a "bio-issue" in the water park the day before hence the high chlorine content that made our eyes and sinuses irritated. Changing area in pool area could have been much cleaner. We all had fun, though, just expected a little higher quality for the price. We were VERY disappointed that the ALL the rides for the little ones were "shut-down" they had 2 inflatables set up, but the 2 and 4 year old could only go in the bouncy house. They were very sad, and so were this Grammie and Papa. Sounds like they were upgrading/changing the rides? We received a "note" in our check-in package stating all this. AFTER we arrived. An email was sent out telling us about this 24 hours before we arrived. AFTER plans were made. But they did NOT state NO RIDES were to be working. Upon complaining we were given a free, one-night stay in the Villa which is good for a year. We will return, but sincerely hope that improvements will be made for the guests. Grand Bear is not a cheap place to stay, so the amenities should match up to that in my opinion. Overall our family had a nice, relaxing, and fun time. We just expected more. We'll be back. It's only 90 minutes from home and that is appealing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for this thoughtful review of your stay at the resort! I am so happy to hear that you and your family had a nice, relaxing and fun time. It really is a special place to visit. I have noted all of the comments you mentioned and I will forward them to management right away. I am really glad to hear that you will be back and give us the opportunity to truly exceed your expectations.

Thank you for having your family stay with ours!
Streator, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Perfect place to take your child to celebrate their birthday during the cold winter months! My daughter turned 10 this year and has a January birthday. Its so hard for us to find something different every year. With the good rates, Water park & Amusement park Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort was a great option for a fun filled birthday weekend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Sales Coordinator at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your daughters birthday at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort! I am so happy to hear that you and your family found the resort to be a warm, winter escape from the cold. Please tell her that Grizzly Jack and Grand Bear say hello!

Thanks again and hope to welcome you back for many future visits!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Fairfield Inn & Suites Peru
BEST WESTERN Oglesby Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Peru
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru

Been to Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort? Share your experiences!