“Excellent park and campground”

Starved Rock State Park
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Utica
More attraction details
Owner description: Known for its magnificent rock formations of St. Peter sandstone, this scenic park offers many hiking and horseback riding trails plus fishing and boating along the banks of the Illinois River.
West Allis, Wisconsin, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent park and campground”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

The canyons and waterfalls are beautiful, and considering they're in the flat center of Illinois, are an unexpected find.

Visited August 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fun, outdoor adventure only 90 minutes from Chicago”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Starved Rock is the perfect day trip for an outdoor adventure. This is an Illinois state park that is a true treasure. Because we'd never been there, my boyfriend and I opted to sign up for "hike & lunch" tour, although you can certainly venture the paths independently. Our guide, Kevin was most informative, pointing out poison ivy, beaver activity, Indian history and factiods about nature. The canyons are truly beautiful and breath taking. The hike was four hours.

Other comments:
- the lunch was okay. Simple sandwich, chips, apple, granola bar and water.
- the cost of the hike was $17, which was truly a value.
- there were many people on the paths. I'm assuming because it was Labor Day weekend.
- all types of people- singletons, couples, families...with strollers!

I recommend visiting Starved Rock. I want to go back during the fall colors.

Visited September 2014
4 Thank ChicagoMary62
Minneapolis
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Love it!”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

My first trip to Starved Rock State Park was in mid-April . My siblings, etc gathered to celebrate a 60th birthday. We stayed in the lodge and some were in cabins. It is one of the most beautiful parks I have ever visited. The views of the Mississippi River are stunning. We hiked for hours and then relaxed in the lodge, playing Scrabble, taking in happy hour and warming by the many fireplaces. We had dinner in the bar one night and the food & service were A+. The second night we had a celebratory birthday dinner in the dining room and were blown away by the food. I would never have expected such great cuisine at a State park. From the trails, to the lodge, to the food, to the views....everyone will love this park. AND - Illinois does not require you to buy a pass to visit their State parks, which was such a nice surprise.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank mozartMinneapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best visit ever! ”
Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

I came with my husband, daughter, and niece. It was a beautiful experience, I recommend to dress appropriate for the hikes and drink plenty of water. The scenery was wondering, I never knew illinois had this wonderful place. I am glad that I came with my family. Even though my daughter was in a stroller the whole time, the hike made it a little hard. I would definitely come back but when my daughter is older and ready to walk.

1 Thank jessicasofi
McLeansboro, IL
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun Trolley”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

The day we visited the park, it was raining heavily, so we took a trolley tour. It was a great way to see the park!

Visited August 2014