“Historic Starved Rock Lodge has Great Dining”

Starved Rock Lodge - Main Dining Room
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Utica
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Main Dining Room is located in the heart of Starved Rock Lodge and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Sunday Brunch is a favorite at Starved Rock! In addition to our delicious food, we offer a variety of wines, homemade Artisan ice cream and great desserts. Locals and guests enjoy our restaurant because of its beautiful, historic setting. Reservations are recommended and always appreciated. Holiday Buffets are offered on Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and Easter. Reservations are required for holiday buffets. For reservations, please call: (815) 220-7321
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The lodge is decades old and one can feel the ambience of old with the huge stone fireplace in the main room. The Dining Room has plenty of room, and great servers & staff. The menu is varied and delicious, although foodies may find the menu rather simplistic. We aren't foodies, and we eat there twice a month; and on the Veranda more during the summer. There's a brunch on Sunday mornings that got a great variety of items.

1  Thank MidwesternCrew

Reviewed June 16, 2012

One needs to keep this restaurant in perspective. They are trying to provide food that appeals to a diverse group, often with children in tow or seniors. That said, the food ranges from fair to very good. I have never had a bad meals here and have had some good ones. During our most recent visit I had a steak - a risky choice, sometimes. Yet the steak was cooked just right (medium rare), and the baked potato was very good. My wife had the tilapia, and said she found it to be very nicely done. I had the turkey on a different occasion and found it not to my liking - it was dry and overly seasoned.

NOTE: If you are staying in the lodge or planning to go here during busy times (weekends) be certain to make your reservations early.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are visiting the park or staying in the lodge its a nice, welcoming and reasonably priced place to eat. Just don't expect gourmet food.

1  Thank Bill R
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stopped at this beautiful park to have something to eat. On Sundays there is a huge buffet in the dining room at about $15-16. It looked great, but we were not that hungry to partake, so we went to the terrace area (very lovely setting) and checked out the sandwich menu. I ordered the chicken crouisant sandwich. When I got it, it had been pre-prepared and was wrapped in plastic wrap. It was cold - must have been refrigerated - and it was very soggy! I took the chicken salad out and ate it by itself. The chips that were part of the sandwich special were "grilled" and had a BBQ flavor, which I did not want, but there were no other chip choices. Very disappointed with it all! My husband had the pulled pork sandwich and he said it had been freshly prepared - lucky him. The lodge itself is very historic, but needs some refurbishing. Probably with what most state budgets are, it will not be redone for many years - too bad.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have been to Starved Rock State Park many times. We had never ate in the dinning room. Just on a whim with some time to kill while in the are we decided to have lunch in the dinning room. We were pleasently greated and immediatly seated.To my surprise,nothing was over $10. Our waitress Dorothy was a sweetie. Extremely attentive without being over bearing. The food was delishious and beautifully presented. Everythig was wonderful from start to finish. Except for 1 little complaint. Were were seated next to a table doing a wedding tasting.The cooks and the guests were so loud we had to pause our conversations. I requested to be moved,3xs. Our request was never grated. I made comment to this again,while paying the bill,the woman told me it couldn't be help,frankly they are spending way more than I. I don't care what they are spending,we shouldn't have been seated next to a "private"event. We will deffinatly return,I'll probably request a more secluded table.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

So my family was staying at Grizzly Jack's which has horrible food and crummy atmosphere. We knew Starved Rock lodge had a dining room so we headed there for lunch after our hike. The room was picturesque and the food was really very good. Our table had a chopped salad, a turkey foccacia sandwich, a taco salad, and some really delicious crispy fries. I really was expecting just mediocre banquet quality food. But each of our plates was delicious. Salads and sandwiches were about $7 - $9 apiece which I thought wasn't bad. Food came quickly and the server was very efficient.

We decided to come back for dinner. Same experience - above average food that was average priced and delivered quickly and efficiently. We had red snapper, a turkey and stuffing dinner and a kids spaghetti. It wasn't that much further to go into town to go to a restaurant, but this was a nice change of pace.

1  Thank joCChicago