“I love this campground!”

Hickory Hollow Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utica
Hickory Hollow Campground
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“I love this campground!”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I read reviews and was hesitant but I am so glad I decided to try this campground out! This is ideal for a nice and relaxing stay. It is very family oriented. We had a great site and will come back for sure! We have stayed at nearly every campground in the area and this is our new favorite. We met a lot of "regulars" who come all summer. If you want to camp here, reserve early!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lesli A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2010

The absolute worst hospitality AROUND. The owners are very rude. Our family has camped 43 states and have never been treated so badly. We book two RV sites, my brother arrived earlier in the day and pulled his RV in so that our doors would be facing each other. He was approached by one of the owners who told him it was not allowed, that he would have to turn back around since no one is allowed to drive on the grass and cause ruts. I am sorry, but it has not rain in Illinois in weeks and there was no grass just HARD dry dirt? We arrived later in the dark. Our children put up a tent, filled it with their air mattresses, sleeping bags, clothes etc., and just then "Security" told us that they had to take it down. We protested to the owner, since the site right across from us had done the same exact thing. We were told to take it down in the dark, and that the other campers would be doing the same. SAD TO SAY, THEIR TENT WAS STILL UP IN THE MORNING:( The owners would not allow us to move it to another site, nor wait for sun light. Only offered for us to reset it up in the tent area 1/4 mile away, where they had just 2 sites left. That area is like "Woodstock", poke and hope - park and carry. They only alllow you to burn their firewood, at $4.50 a bundle of 7 pieces... What a rip off - I would not stay at this camp ground again if it were free.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank mmmwoj

Travelers are raving about these Utica hotels

Midlothian, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I am honestly suprised to see all the bad reviews of this campground!! My husband and I have been to this camprground twice and the only problem we had was when we came here and 2008 and it was only because my husband was under the age of 21 at the time. They were weary about letting us stay because they didn't want underage drinking, but we assured them that we would behave ourselves and we stayed for two nights without any further problems. This year I was absolutely impressed from the time I made our reservations until the time we left! When I called to reserve our site we went through the normal "what kind of trailer do you have, what kind of hook-ups do you need" stuff, then they asked if there was a certain place we'd like to be, and I told them near the bathrooms, and the lady on the phone said no problem. Then she asked how many people, and I told her 2 adults, 1 child, and she said she had a campsite open that was right across from the park and a few sites away from the bathrooms. I let her know that was perfect, and we finished up the reservation process. At the campground, the ladies that greeted and checked us in were very sweet, we had no problem finding our campsite, and it was exactly as the lady on the phone described it. And from there, the rest of our stay went smoothly, even the one night we were at our neighbors' site drinking around the fire until 11 p.m. I was nervous that night because I read reviews of people getting kicked out and threatened for being out past curfew, but we didn't get any complaints, any "stalkers", no nothing! So other than the friendly staff we experienced, the campsites are spacious and well kept, the bathrooms were very neat, I didn't see a single bug in there. A couple of minor inconvienences was the bathroom on the west side of the campground did not have airconditioning, so on 90 degree days it's a bit uncomforable to stay in there for more than 5 minutes. Another was the pool, it was clean, but capacity wise, it could be a bit bigger. There is quite a number of people who like to hang out in the pool throughout the day so it gets a bit cramped, but after a day of hiking it did the job of cooling us down nonetheless. Overall, we had a great time, and I'd suggest trying this campground out for yourselves, since, despite the bad reviews I've read, my family and I have had a great time staying here....TWICE!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank mrsjackster10
Bartlett, IL
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We decided to stay at Hickory Hollow Campground for our first family camping trip. Friday storms rolled in so we had to cancel last minute knowing our tent would not withstand the high winds & downpour. We called Saturday morning to see if we could still stay that evening and I was informed that I would be charged for both nights. The website does clearly state that no refunds due to weather will be given so I accepted this. The campground was very neat & clean, bathrooms were clean, the pool (although a little small) was very clean as well. It was a very nice campground. Our only complaint was the proximity to the highway. From our tent we could hear trucks all night long and it did keep waking us up. I would recommend this campground if you can get a site further in or you have an RV.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hammond
Reviewed August 3, 2010

DO NOT GIVE HICKORY HOLLOW CAMPGROUND IN UTICA YOUR BUSINESS!!!!! We were treated with extreme disrespect when we stayed there, and I’ve read several reviews on other web sites with people experiencing the exact same disrespect we did. I seriously doubt any good reviews you see are not written by the campground staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank cciastko
Illinois
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I was kind of skeptical of camping at Hickory Hollow Campground since there was alot of bad reviews. But we booked anyway and boy we were surprised. The campground is very clean and the staff was nice. The campground has a nice clean pool and 2 playgrounds for kids. The staff do drive around on golf carts checking the campground. Which I like since they are making sure nothing bad is taking place. The campground is close to i-80 so you do hear some noises from the expressway. But all in all Hickory Hollow was a great place to camp. We do not have anything bad to say. Hickory Hollow is very close to the state parks

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank giggly711
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 28, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Small Condo during a hiking weekend at Starved Rock. The heat was slow to come on initially. The staff was apologetic and even offered to refund our money and help us find a hotel. We really wanted to have a campfire though, and the location was great - just a few miles up 178 from the parks. Louise wound up driving to Wal-Mart at 10:00 at night to get a space heater for us! They threw in some free firewood for our trouble, and generally tried their hardest to please. By the second night it was nice and cozy and we had a wonderful time around our campfire! A great place to "come home" to after a day of hiking.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank talkingfrog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Peru
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
Best Western Oglesby Inn
Hampton Inn Ottawa Starved Rock Area

Been to Hickory Hollow Campground? Share your experiences!