“Great hotel near campus”

Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Chicago, IL
“Great hotel near campus”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is the best hotel near campus. It has free breakfast, comfortable rooms and beds and is always clean.
The staff are always very nice and take good care of you. Eventhough it is near campus, I have always slept well and never had a problem with noise from other guests.
I've stayed here a few times including two Unofficials (Unofficial St. Patrick's Day), so having no issues with noise is impressive as us more mature alumni tend to stay here.
I've never stayed here for a football game weekend since it is booked or out of my price range, but I tend to try to stay here any other time I come to campus to visit friends.

During my recent stay, I even got to use the pool and hot tub. Usually I am so busy with campus activities, I never get to enjoy the hotel. The pool was large and great for doing a few strokes. However, the hot tub was not hot. The water was lukewarm. That needs to be fixed.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor then you don't need to use the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed May 2, 2012

It seemed like they recently updated their rooms. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, and the rooms seemed even nicer than the last time I had stayed there. It is also very conveniently located to campus and just about anywhere one would need to go to in Champaign-Urbana. It wasn't the cheapest rate, but I went during the Illinois marathon so given the location and availability of parking, there is no reason to complain.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
oxford
Reviewed April 13, 2012

In contrast to another review, our room was very quiet and there were lots of guests at the hotel. We had a lovely room (I love how Hampton Inns launder/change not just the sheets but those great white comforters for every guest!). The breakfast was one of the nicest we have had at any Hampton Inn. Next door is a Perkins if you arrive late and need dinner.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed April 8, 2012

It's strange that no other hotel chain has a hotel anywhere near campus or downtown champaign or Urbana. So I chose this on location only. But it was surprisingly great. Very clean, nice pool, free coffee & tea at all times and a very extensive free breakfast. The workers were all very nice.

The only downside was that housekeeping never once came to my room. It wasn't a major issue for me but was a little strange. I had to ask for more shampoo at the front desk which worked just as well. They have a do not disturb sign but no "service my room" sign so maybe that's it?

Highly recommended! If I were in another town with a Hampton inn I'd go out of my way to stay there.

• Stayed April 2012
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The hotel was ok from a service and room standpoint. Reception was not very friendly at all, but my housekeeper was pleasant. Rooms are a good size and seem to be remodeled, but you can still tell it is an older hotel in many areas. That is why I say it is over-priced. When I called to make a reservation, I mentioned that I had found a cheaper room elsewhere, but she sold me on the idea that this hotel was brand new… IT’S NOT! Again, it wasn’t terrible, but not at all what I would expect from a Hampton Inn charging these prices.

What REALLY ruined my stay was the noise. I booked the hotel because it was “new” and right next to the hospital where my mother was having surgery. BIG mistake! I didn’t realize it was across the street from a University! There must have been some kind of Fraternity party going on down the hall and I did not sleep for more than 2 hours. My multiple complaints were either ignored or they are so used to this, they don’t care. Either way, it was unacceptable.

My mother will be having follow up visits to the hospital and I would not stay here again. There are other options nearby.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Comfortable room. Airy comfortable breakfast area. In the downtown area near the campus. Have stayed here before and will again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VanVlietTraveler
Bay Area
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I was very impressed with this hotel's decor and location.

The staff is extremely friendly; I've had several items shipped here for business. Newspaper at your door every morning, complimentary breakfast is well stocked and attended. Great meeting areas in the lobby for business, chatting with friends, or if you don't feel like working from your rooms. Coffee or tea are available 24/7 near the front desk at no cost.

Two tiny things that can be improved are:
- have a working hot tub
- have Bravo tv channel (personal preference!)

However, after a long drive from O'Hare, I always look forward to checking in and settling down in their welcoming property.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana
La Quinta Inn Champaign
La Quinta Inn Champaign
#6 of 25 in Champaign
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)

Been to Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana? Share your experiences!