“Good budget hotel”

Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

This is one of those hotels where all the rooms have a window looking onto the atrium. My room was basic but clean and had everything I needed. Front desk was friendly and helpful. The gym is pathetic, a couple of machines, no weights. Overall a good room for a budget price.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear BoltonYankee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at our property as we truly appreciate you sharing your experience. I am glad to hear that your room had everything that you needed. On your next visit, please be sure to ask the front desk for a room facing the outside of the hotel if you prefer and our staff will be happy to accommodate you. Thank you again for your business and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

You would think that the front desk clerk, being the first employee you meet and your first impression, would have some people skills. Not here, none. Not a hint of a smile. Not a welcome feeling at all. Acted as if she was doing us a favor by checking us in. When I asked for a local food menu she seemed upset that she had to find one. The evening shift was also rude and unfriendly. They seemed quite understaffed all around. The only nice person was the bartender. She was awesome. Everybody else was rude and slow. The rooms were not to great either. My lamp had a burn hole in it. The room was on ground level next to the pool. I felt like anybody could see me. Not to noisy while I was there because there were not many people there but I see how it could be. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Kyle F,

I would like to first truly apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. Please know that the service you experienced at our front desk is not by any means a reflection of the kind of service we aim to provide. I can assure you that I will address these concerns with the appropriate departments and they will be rectified. Again, I am extremely sorry that this took place but I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Though I understand your hesitancy, I hope that you can provide us with another opportunity to make this right.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Room-wise, this is a pretty basic Holiday Inn, it does the job. I was there for the Champaign Urbana marathon, and the staff was super enthusiastic, really helpful and friendly. Really great, and I wouldn't want this review to reflect on them, this is a corporate issue.

I have no idea why, but this hotel has pillows that are about 12" by 12" and feel as though they're stuffed with leftover laundry lint. (Yes, these are the pillows on the bed, not throw pillows). I honestly have never had a night's sleep ruined by any pillow, until this. (I also don't think I'm overly sensitive, in the morning I saw a good number of people carrying their own pillows).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear illlap,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. I sincerely apologize that our pillows were less than satisfactory and that it impacted your stay negatively. I can understand your frustration as they are imperative in ensuring a good night's rest. Please know that I will share your comments with our Management team and we will rectify this situation. I do also want to thank you for your feedback regarding our staff. It is extremely important to our team to not only meet but exceed your expectations especially on a special weekend such as the Illinois Marathon! We truly appreciate your business and hope to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed 2 weeks here. The location is perfect for campus and interstate both. Great atmosphere for the price. Felt very safe. Noise level was minimum despite the hotel being sold out. Staff very accommodating. Rooms clean and nice. Pool kept warm enough to enjoy. Will try and stay here anytime I am in Champaign.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear GuitarWaterGirl,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your extended stay at our property! We appreciate your business and are happy to hear that you had an overall fantastic stay. We do hope that if you return to the Champaign/Urbana area, that you choose to be our guest again. Thank you.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Urbana hotel on business in early February 2014. I have stayed at this property a number of times due to business meetings in the area. I have usually found the hotel property to be average at best in the common areas/grounds but the rooms and front desk service are usually quite fine. On this trip, again, the front desk check in process went very smoothly, the clerk was professional and friendly, greeted me as a loyalty member and had me checked in within minutes, putting me on the "executive level", which I found included a couch and seating area vs the normal rooms of a bed and desk only. The room was clean and looked fine, although it was very hot, which I had to fix by completely shutting down the heat. The bed was as comfortable as most Holiday Inn beds and I found no weird stains or questionable marks on the sheets or bedding (this is not always the case at some Holiday Inns I have stayed at). The bathroom was fine and had the requisite toiletries and towels. Television worked well and had a decent selection of channels. The hotel wasn't fully booked so it was a quiet stay.
SO far so good...then it came to the breakfast at the hotel's cafe. I have eaten here before and it was fine, about the level of a better free breakfast at some other properties, even though they charge $10.95 for the buffet (only offering) if you don't have a free breakfast coupon.

My issue was with the breakfast service in the cafe. I was with a business group and had a coupon for the breakfast buffet. No one approached us as we sat down to eat to tell us about the buffet, provide juice/coffee , etc as has been done in the past at this property. So, I walked over to the buffet to get my food. At that point, a hostess/wait person, approached me and asked if I had my coupon or it would be $10.95. This was done very abruptly and with a very uncaring attitude, bordering on rude. I provided my coupon, she took it and returned to sit at the hostess stand, without any further service or words. I got my food (which I will comment on in a minute) and found no orange juice in the pitcher on the service table. I called over to her and asked if there was more juice; it took me about 1 minute to even get her attention and then when I did ask her, she sighed, looked very "bothered" and got up, took the pitcher from me and filled it. She returned and put the pitcher on the table, even though I had a glass ready to be filled in my hand. I returned to the table to eat and no one ever approached us, to offer water/coffee/juice or to even ask if everything was ok..in other words, there was NO service provided. As for the food selection, it was fairly poor for those of us eating healthy. The offerings were waffles, eggs, and bacon. There were boxes of cereal and some muffins. There was no bread at all provided, and when I had been at this property before, fruit and yogurt were offered..not so on this stay. Coffee was not on the service table and never offered to our group. Finally, we had dirty dishes on the table as members of our group left and some others came and no one approached to clean up the table. All in all, the horrible breakfast service really tainted the overall stay.

Room Tip: Attempt to get the Executive Level as an upgrade on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Chgojim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your last stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and I have shared your comments with our Management team. I sincerely apologize for the service you had in our restaurant. We clearly did not meet your expectations and I can assure you that we will use this as an opportunity to work with our staff. We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and we hope to accommodate you in the future to provide another chance to prove this is not a typical experience. Again, thank you for your review.

Kala J. Cesar

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Driving from Chicago to Mississippi after two weeks backpacking in Eastern Europe - weather was bad so we stopped a little early.

The only good part about the hotel is the actual room. The lobby/reception/bar area reminded both my boyfriend and me of a gymnasium. There were leaks in the ceiling because of the rain (the women's restroom was like a waterfall). There was one girl behind the desk who was really sweet and helpful but the others didn't feel quite so welcoming.

We got the room bidding on Priceline. Got it for $61. We were put on the executive floor (not sure how it's different, but thanks!). The room was big, clean, comfortable bed. Bathroom a little dingy but overall, fine.

I would stay here again. But not for anything more than I paid this time. It wasn't great but was adequate. Especially for the price we got.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Melissa L,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our property during your trip home to Mississippi! We appreciate your business and for also taking the time to share your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed our spacious and clean overnight rooms but I do apologize that you had mixed reviews with our front desk staff and the general appearance of our lobby. Please know we will take into consideration your feedback and address these areas that we can. Thank you again for your business and we hope to accommodate you again in the future!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Let's see where do I start? Arrived 2:30PM... told to basically go away and come back in an hour as no room available..OK granted I was a little early but 2:30PM and no rooms ready? Must not be any housekeeping staff hardly at all, in fact during my three days there I cannot recall seeing a single housekeeping staff anywhere. Get checked in , baggage loaded on cart sen to 5th Floor ( Executive floor) get off elevator and greeted by a coffee and pastries table for morning guest that was not cleared yet and had coffee stained linens on it still at 3:30PM. It was still there the next day at 4:30PM after returning to hotel.. where is banquets staff? Anyway get to room on first day and go to room indicated on my check-in envelope and key does not work. Go to find a guest phone so I can have maintenance come let me in or find out what is wrong and ..no phones on any floor. So drag luggage cart back down hall, down elevator and have them re-code the keys. Now back up elevator down hall..key still does not work. I see maintenance coming down the hall and they say "Oh well your trying to get in the wrong room". Excuse me, this thing says 519! No sir you are supposed to be in 534.. well behold... mystery of non-working key resolved. Get settled in go to bed early as it had been 16 hour travel day, wake up and I am in shower at 4:00AM and total power failure. Now granted not their fault. Stumble around in dark using cell phone light to see by, descend 5 flights of stairs and of course I cannot use the breakfast comp they gave me for the key problems. Leave come back after the day and park behind hotel closer to elevator, key failure again at their back door so now have to walk all the way around the hotel to front entrance.Go to get dinner at Grill, take my order only to come back 10 minutes later and tell me they are out of shrimp, they only have a half order available.OK I'll take the half order and they gave it to me with no charge. Who is running the kitchen that they run out of one of the only 12 items that are on the menu... really? Back down for breakfast in sitting area that is probably 30K sq. feet 50 feet high with nothing but a metal roof and glass walls at each end everywhere..its so cold in there that the kitchen staff is wearing sweaters and two minutes after I walk away from the buffet, my food is cold. Staff was polite but you know I don't want to deal with staff who are constantly apologizing for what is going on, I would like to see an adequate staff doing their jobs.Major management concerns here that if they don't fix are going to be their real downfall. On the good side, the room was good, clean and quiet..no complaints there but everything else ruined the experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Kurt B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments of your last visit at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We truly appreciate your feedback as it allows us an opportunity to address your concerns and prevent these issues in the future.

I understand your frustration with your delayed check-in and the incorrect room number being written on your envelope especially after such a long trip to Champaign/Urbana. I am so sorry that unfortunately was not the only difficulty you experienced when returning to the hotel. Also, please know we will address the issues you experienced in our restaurant as well.

I hope that you do provide us with another opportunity to accommodate you in the future and again, we thank you for your review.

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#14 of 25 in Champaign
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Wingate By Wyndham Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#3 of 25 in Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!