Check-in at the hotel went smoothly and we were fortunate to get an exterior room (odds) vs. the evens that have windows overlooking the pool area. Apparently I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn in quite some time as I was extremely disappointed that there was not a free continental breakfast. Had I realized this at the time of booking, I would have selected a different hotel chain. I was not willing to pay $10.95 for what was a free breakfast elsewhere.
We stayed for four nights. Each day we would return back to the hotel after a long day out only to find that none of our room keys would work. Yes, for 4 nights, we had to go to the main desk and have them rekeyed. We did not keep them next to cell phones – one was kept in the car, one was in a purse, one in a front pocket and one in a back pocket and not in contact with cell phones if you are thinking we deactivated them somehow.
There was no mini fridge which meant we had to keep the ice bucket full for our daughter’s medication that was to be refrigerated. The bathroom light for the last two days of our stay wouldn’t turn on all the way and for the final morning, was completely dark. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and there was a cricket on the floor in the bathroom. When gathering dirty clothes to do laundry, there was another black water bug in the clothes.
The sheets were old, very thin and just felt dirty. Our family of five requested 2 extra towels the first night so we could each have a big towel for showering. We keep track and hang our towels in appropriate places so that we can reuse our towels. Housekeeping came in the morning and replenished our towels by taking all 5 and giving us 2. This happened each day. In addition, only on the third day were the beds made. Not a deal breaker, but since they didn’t do it on the previous days, why on the third day? We also had to request a pillowcase on the first night since one pillow did not have one. The pillows are smaller than standard size.
The vending/ice room was ridiculously hot. All throughout the hotel the humidity was high, even in our room with the AC on full blast. I’m thinking it has to do with the pool in the open area of the hotel, but that may also be me used to a drier climate.
We were unable to get one particular light in the room to work. There was also one outlet that did not work.
The only pro that I noticed during our stay was the couches and seating areas around the entrance. We didn’t use them but they did look nice.
Overall, I would not stay at this particular hotel again regardless of the room rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just off I74 at Lincoln Ave, you are a short two mile drive from the heart of the University of Illinois, including Memorial Stadium (home to the Fighting Illini Football) and the University of Illinois State Farm Center. Also near the Wyndham Garden are the quaint downtowns of Urbana and Champaign. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Champaign Urbana Hotel Urbana
- Holiday Inn Urbana
- Urbana Holiday Inn
- Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign IL - Champaign-Urbana