“Potentially a great value”

Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First, let me say that the positives at this property far outweigh anything that I could see as a negative. Although the Holiday Inn, Champaign/Urbana has some challenges, it is an especially good value stay when booked through Hotwire or one of the discount booking services. My rate was $60 per night for a king room with a sofa.

Pros: Overall, rooms were clean and for the most part, very comfortable. Front desk staff was welcoming and offered me a new room when I reported an unusual vibration noise in my first room. Room décor and functionality was up to date and satisfactory. Great value that more than offset the fact that there was not an inclusive breakfast bar. Convenient to highway and university. Gas station/convenience store next door. Wireless Internet signal was strong but sometimes seemed a bit slow.

Cons: Overwhelming smell of chorine when entering the hotel. The entire lobby smells of this from fountains and pools. As a result, restaurant and bar area are not conducive to hanging out. Coffee and tea service tables in elevator area have stained and dirty tablecloths. The full-length mirror in both rooms I stayed in was fixed to the wall such that one side was 1 inch lower than the opposite side. Looks tacky and unprofessional in an otherwise nice looking space. Room 507 has an annoying vibration noise from equipment on the roof. Room 539 was quiet but appeared a tad bit smaller in space. Common areas sometimes felt a bit dingy. I would have loved to have a fridge in the room but I made do with my ice chest. In both rooms, the work desk is positioned in such a way that you get blasted with cold air from the AC unit while sitting at the desk. I've noticed that most hotels have this issue so I would not consider it to be a problem exclusive to this property or chain.

Once again, pros outweigh cons. I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers face a five story atrium/lobby/pool. Rooms with odd numbers face the outside...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear SAMT2002,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your last stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate when our guests provide us with this feedback as it allows an opportunity for us to focus on specific areas of improvement. I am glad to hear that you felt the value of your stay was better than the price paid and we will be sure to share your comments with our staff. We hope to accommodate you in the future and you can see some of the changes we have made based on your feedback. Thank you again for writing a review and for your loyalty to our hotel.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

"stay impressed" is this hotels "motto", I guess they have no clue what "impressed" means.

NO refrigerators in rooms, small terrible coffee makers in room only.

and the internet is useless in my room, maybe to keep customers from doing bad reviews on the hotel!!!??? I think the internet problem has made me the most irritated. Trying to do work while staying here was terrible, a waste of time and money.

the only reason i ended up here was the scam perpetrated by price line. Why would this hotel show up in different star levels?

The "fitness center" is a joke, and probably has never been cleaned.

Price line is a joke for having this rated as a top hotel in Champaign, bidders beware. this hotel shows up in the 2 star rating also on priceline. Does not make sense pure rip off. I paid more and could of bid on a lesser star rating and got the same hotel cheaper!!!!

I am not happy at all with the no refrigerator or decent coffee maker, also the internet makes me upset. its 2013 can a hotel like this PLEASE have good to great wifi?

only good thing about this hotel is the beds....I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: none to choose from
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Foodwriter007,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay and I am extremely sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations on several aspects of your visit. Please know that I have shared your feedback with our management team and we have started efforts to address some of those issues including updating our internet.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you do change your decision in staying elsewhere on your next visit.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We rolled on around 2am. The clerk was nice enough. The place is in a decent location. We did not feel unsafe. The rooms were clean. It was affordable. But as an ihg member, I had expected more. Usually we are greeted with snacks and water when we check in. Not a big deal, but something we are used to from ihg properties. They had a breakfast cafe available to purchase from, but I really value a nice free breakfast, which most ihg properties have offered. Plus the pool is located next to their cafe, in the open air. The smell of chlorine was heavy when we checked in. I wouldn't want to eat in it. Probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear ama97,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We do truly appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experience with other guests. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations of the IHG Rewards Club. I understand that as a member, you do travel often and the extra benefits of the loyalty program are important to you. Thank you for your loyalty to the IHG Rewards Club and I will be sure to share your sentiments to our upper management team.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed on a weekend at the Holiday Inn, and I was a bit nervous to see a large group from a baseball tournament check-in.....but, I could not have been more pleased with the hotel & staff!! The service was great, our room was very clean, and the other occupants were very quiet. We had great food at the bar/grill one night, and the breakfast in the morning was very nice. I have to compliment the staff for all their service! They gave me a room away from the large groups to ensure that it was quiet. They quickly responded to my room to fix a loose latch on our door, and the bartender's service was great on a very busy Friday night!! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear PVE_11,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review! We are always excited when our guests not only share their experience but really enjoyed their stay. Please know that we will share your feedback with our Management Team as well as our staff members.

I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy both our breakfast and dinner while you were here! And though we hope that our guests do not experience any inconveniences during their stay, I appreciate you contacting our staff to address the issue with your room door so we could fix it immediately.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again hopefully in the very near future!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in Champaign for one night to attend a wedding and we booked this hotel. I will admit that we used priceline to book the hotel, but we wish we would have paid the price to stay somewhere better. Even with priceline the cost of 1 room was around $100. Breakfast isn't even included with an overnight stay. My husband is a priority club member and they gave him a voucher for a free cocktail drink at the bar...this voucher ended up being for ONE drink only, it didn't cover a drink for the guest (me). Nothing spectacular about the hotel. At least our room was quiet.

Room Tip: We asked for a corner room far away from the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Mo F,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that you did not receive the value you should have relative to the price you paid. We strive to ensure our guests fully enjoy every aspect of their stay and I apologize we did not meet your expectations. Though breakfast is not included in your room rate, I hope you were able to enjoy our good food and reasonable prices in our full-service restaurant. Our close proximity also allows for great dining close by and we would be happy to suggest places for you in the future. Thank you for sharing details of your experience and we hope to be allowed an opportunity to accommodate you again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked a last minute room via Priceline so I received a very good rate on the room. When I checked into the room, I noticed that the bathroom was not very clean (toilet was not flushed) and there was no soap. Even though the towels had been refreshed, I wondered if the room had been properly cleaned so I packed up my things and went down to the front desk and asked to be put into another room. The second room looked clean, but there was still no soap in the bathroom! The pool water was also cloudy and I couldn't get the wi-fi to work. I was disappointed in my experience - I could have stayed somewhere cheaper and gotten a better room. Not a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear srbaranczk,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at our hotel and personally apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Our goal is to meet and exceed all of our guest’s expectations and I am truly sorry that we did not on this visit. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and choosing to stay at Holiday Inns when you travel.

Please know that your feedback regarding the cleanliness of the rooms, pool and the wireless internet have been addressed with the appropriate members of our management team. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention and ask that if you do come back to the area, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here for Graduation weekend and as usual room was great, clean and quiet. I've stayed here last 3 years for MOM'S and DAD'S weekends. This last time asked if I could have some catering for a small brunch for graduation morning. Manager Amy was GREAT in assisting and suggesting some menu choices. The quiche was fantastic, fruit and homemade pecan rolls to die for. Was ready on time and piping hot. Enjoyed by my daughters roommates family and mine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear beachqueenChicago,

Thank you very much for the fantastic review! We are so happy to hear our guests' positive feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay--especially on such a special weekend!

Please know that we have shared your comments with both Chef and Amy as well as all members of our staff. I am glad to hear that your family enjoyed the breakfast that was provided to you and we are in agreement over the pecan rolls! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Ramada Urbana/Champaign
Wingate By Wyndham Champaign
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Champaign North, IL

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!