“Pleasantly surprised!!”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Evansville, Indiana
“Pleasantly surprised!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was somewhat apprehensive after reading some of the reviews below. I was pleasntly surprised. This was a priceline bid. When I arrived at the front desk, I asked about switching from a double to a king. The clerk was very friendly and gladly made the switch. The room had a couch, nice work area, flat screen and very comfortable bed. All of which appeared to be fairly new. The bathroom was spotless. My room faced outside so I did not hear any noise from the indoor pool area.

This was a great stay and I will gladly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Alanta Georgia
Reviewed April 10, 2012

When I stayed here I wasn't expecting a whole group of red hat club memebers but to my surprise the staff wasn't trying to just help them they treated everyone with great care. I appreciate the housekeeping department for the generosity that they showed on helping me carry my luggage to my car Casey and Jim didn't have to do that but it showed me that they cared. I didn't feel like a number I felt at home and I thank them.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

Where do I begin? First of all, shame on me for not giving enough credibility to the Trip Advisor reviews. They were spot on.

Upon arrival, I ask about PAYING MORE to upgrade to a suite and was rudely told because of the way my company booked room, they couldn't see what I was paying and couldn't upgrade even for MORE MONEY.

Needed to print something but no ink in printer in business center. Brought this up as an FYI to same front desk person since I had to find a FedEx Print location 1 hr before my Monday morning meeting. Only to return Monday night to find out nothing had been done about the printer. Guess I'll get up early tomorrow as well.

Wanted a drink at the bar so I walked up and after waiting 5 minutes for the waitress to finish a text message on her phone, I am ask "what do you want?". I'm not going to say anymore.

Pool - this is small, but my family joined me this trip as the kids are on spring break and there were only 2 towels left. Giving the benefit of the doubt, I assumed we went down after a big rush and they would restock shortly only to find 2 hours later (I went back to check) there were still no towels. .

Day 2 - no housekeeping at all and again, I do not need to say anything else.

I travel frequently and do public speaking on sales and customer service and at least I have a number of examples of how to guarantee someone will never stay at your place again. I have a 6 month engagement in the area that I intend to spend $8-10k on extended hotel stays and this one has disappointed the holiday inn reputation in every possible way.

I read the reviews again tonight and expect if Jeff Edwards is still the GM, he will apologize like he has had to do on previous reviews, but hope that his "hands are tied" because I would have fired on the spot individuals acting like those have acted here. You are throwing money away and worse, destroying a great brand that has enjoyed a LOT of my business. This is an exception for Holiday Inn and I will stay at one again, but never in the CU area. I'm here two more days and believe strongly in exceptional customer service recoveries so I'll update again after I check out.

I don't believe in asking for a manager while on site so I have not but I cannot wait until I leave before writing a review. $100/night deserves and should expect better.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank zahnpilot
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
zahnpilot,

Ben J
IHG Care
Southern US
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The property is easy to find right near the Interstate, and close to campus without being right in the middle of it. The rooms were well decorated and the bed was comfortable. Would have liked a newer heating system as it was hard to regulate, but at least it blocked noise as the hotel was hosting a bunch of teenagers there for a sports competition.

The bathrooms were large but the lighting could use an upgrade. The front desk service was nice - she could have used some extra help as the line got long unexpectedly, and when I finally got to the front she finally had someone to help. I did not try the restaurant, the bar was full of the teenagers' parents (who were obviously not looking after them while they ran wild in the hallways and smoked outside), so I didn't hang out there either. I would stay at this hotel again, but hope for an adult clientele next time!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
jeffedwards, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! We as a staff always enjoy hearing when our guests have a pleasant stay with us! From your review, I understand that you were probably here on one of our busy team weekends, and I assure you our hotel is not normally filled with that many kids! We certainly appreciate your understanding of the situation! I have also mentioned the issue you encountered with the heating unit to our chief engineer so he can resolve that problem. We certainly hope that upon your next trip, you will take the time to try our restaurant as we have many wonderful options available for you! Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future!

Sara Fredrickson
Front Desk Manager
Red Lake, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed here the night of Feb 10,2012. When we booked online(Feb 10, 2012) the hotel offered a $20 coupon to be used towards breakfast. When we arrived we were told that they no longer offered this coupon and there was no further explanation offered. When asked about the wireless internet they said it had been down for a couple of days and were not sure if it would be working, it was not working when we left on the morning of the 11th. On checking in a welcome check-in slip of paper was given to us that said "enjoy the free bottled water", there was no bottled water in the room, we had to ask for it at the desk. The ice machine on the second floor was not operational. Getting hot water for showers in the morning took a LONG time and it only got better than luke warm, enough for a chilly shower.You could see remnants of carpet powder on the rug in the room as well as in the hallway of the second floor, it was quite viisible. Would not recomend this hotel at all !!

Room Tip: do not stay here!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
jeffedwards, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the unfortunate incidents that occurred during your recent stay. Let me assure you that what you experienced was the exception and not the norm at our hotel. We strive to provide the best quality and service, obviously we failed to provide that to you our most valued guest. I have taken the liberty of working with the department heads and together we have taken the appropriate steps to ensure that what happened during your stay does not happen to another guest. I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay and hope that you would give us another opportunity to show our true Holiday Inn hospitality.
Springboro, Ohio
Reviewed December 7, 2011

After a long day of travel, we were anticipating a restful night. The check-in took forever as the desk clerk a. completed what sounded like a personal phone call, b used three computers for whatever reason to check us in and c. offered some vague excuse about why it took so long. We were the only ones checking in. We went to eat dinner in the bar area in the atrium. The waitress was eating her dinner, so we had to wait until she realized we were there. She brough us beer but no glasses, which we requested. I had to get up and go to the bar and ask if I could get them before she responded. I ordered a bowl of soup, which was delivered without a bottom saucer or crackers, something that should be standard. The bathtub/shower ceiling leaked. When I informed the desk clerks in the morning, they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. The hotel was NOT busy at all and I can see why. No recommendation from us to stay here. We couldn't use the heating unit because the fan made a horrible racket and noise from outside the room continued all night long. With so few people staying there, I can't imagine what was going on.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jettan
jeffedwards, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
To our valued guest,

Thank you for your review and informing myself and our staff of the issues you encountered during your stay. We, here at the Holiday Inn Urbana, strive to provide our guests with all of the comforts of home, along with the best service possible and it is truly humbling when we fall short on these aspects. I can assure you that the problems you mentioned in your review with the check-in process have been address by myself and have been resolved. The issues you encountered in our restaurant have also been address and resolved so they will not occur in the future. Our maintenance staff has been informed of a room with a leaky ceiling, and they have gone through all of our rooms to resolve this issue as well. Myself and our staff certainly appreciate you making us aware of where we may improve so we can ensure that these particular problems will not arise again. I sincerely apologize that your stay with our property was an unpleasant one, and I certainly hope that you will give us a chance to provide you with the best possible service and accomodations upon your next trip to the Champaign-Urbana area. Please feel free to use myself as a point of contact for our hotel and I will personally assist you in any needs you may have. I can be reached by email at sfredrickson@holidayinnurbanail.com or by phone at 217-328-7900 ext. 2120. Thank you for your time and we hope to see you in the near future!

Sara Fredrickson
Front Desk Manager
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This place is not terrible, the rooms are nice and have flat screen tvs in them. The place an older holiday inn in the Holidome style, with a big atrium like lobby. There is a bar and restaurant in the lobby area. My biggest complaint was that my door had to be slammed to really latch and close, and twice I returned to the hotel to find it able to be pulled open with no keycard. Not a terrible hotel, but for the same price there are better hotels in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
jeffedwards, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the issue that you encountered with the door. Let me assure you that the issue you experienced was the exception and not the norm at our hotel. We strive to provide the best product and service, obviously we failed to provide this to you our most valued guest. I have taken the liberty of working with our chief engineer and together we have taken the appropriate steps to ensure that the issue you experienced will not occur with another guest. Again, thank you for your comments.

Sincerely

Jeffery L. Edwards, CHA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign
Wingate By Wyndham Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#15 of 25 in Champaign
Ramada Urbana/Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!