“Great Place”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
SPRINGFIELD
“Great Place”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great place to stay with no problems. nice rooms with a great hot tub in the king suit. Will stay there if im in town again. The only problem I had was when I checked out the final bill said 140 after taxes but u guys billed my card for 168.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was worried after reading the reviews about this hotel, but after staying there this weekend I feel compelled to disagree with the negative reviews. I found the place VERY clean, and the staff very pleasant and helpful. The hotel was quiet, which is saying a lot on "game day" at Champaign.

The room was clean, and included a refrigerator and microwave. Large, clean bathroom and spotless tub. Comfortable mattress. The breakfast in the morning was a typical hotel breakfast, but the person managing it was extremely pleasant and helpful.

A hidden benefit of this hotel is that it is only 2 or 3 miles from downtown Champaign, but is easy to get to -- much easier traffic-wise then trying to get to the hotels on 74.

I don't work for Ramada, I am simply a parent visiting their kid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our stay at the Ramada was okay. I had reserved 2 rooms and both rooms were not made up when we arrived, so they had to set us up with new rooms. One of the rooms reaked of must...just not a pleasant smell.
The breakfast was nothing special...just cereal, fruits, yogurt, juice. For the price we paid, the place was not horrid. We were there for a family wedding, so we were barely at the hotel so it wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The floors had not been swept, stickers from aspirin bottles were stuck to the side of the table. The table looked like it had not been wiped down and hairs from the previous occupants were all over the bathroom. Cleanliness is the most important thing to me when traveling and they missed the mark.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Nick6182
Purcellville, Virginia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This place overwhelmingly smelled of cigarette smoke and deodorizer. The furniture was old and worn. The hallway trashcans were overflowing. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We would have moved hotels, except hotelsone.com used Expedia to book the room and charged my card in advance, without my knowledge or consent. There's a brand new competing hotel across the street which is a great alternative!

Room Tip: Rooms at other hotels probably don't smell as bad
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PJ S
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had reserved a room at this hotel on line through their site. A few weeks prior to my stay I checked the reviews and was concerned to see the review on ants, but decided to stick with it and hoped for the best. Everything was fine until my family settled in and I started to notice small ants crawling on the wall. Had I not read the review I would not have noticed the ants, because they were the small ones. The front desk clerk seemed very complacent about the situation and did change my room. When I asked if ants were a problem throughout the hotel he responded that "ants are like people and have their own minds...they go where they want to go." We did switch rooms however, before my family was even done moving luggage my husband had killed several ants in the second room! When I told the clerk we were leaving, he did not offer any apologies or remedies. Do not stay here! Or you may wake up with ants all over...like another reviewer! Good value, but I may as well donated the cash, because we paid out to sleep at the hotel next door!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Denise W
Clayton, Ohio
Reviewed June 5, 2012

First of all I would like to start out by saying how nice, courteous and helpful the night shift person was. We got there at night and there was a power outage, he made sure he found me and my 3 children a room with electricity and made sure the air conditioning worked in the room. He actually walked us to the room! Woke up the next morning, went to the continental breakfast in the dining room, very nice, clean with the exception of juice that had spilled by the juice machine that had become sticky on the floor. My two older girls noticed it then my 2 y/o thought it was fun that her shoes were sticky from the floor. (The stickiness was there before us) Went to the front desk to check out, put the key card on the front desk counter, the front desk person was in the dining area, as she was walking up to the front desk HER cell phone rang, she answered it and was having a casual conversation with the person, talking about the weather, etc. I said to her, "we're just checking out" She replied back with "ya, I gotcha". There was no, how was your stay? Or, anything. My 2 y/o had spilled her cheerios, so me and my other daughter were down on the floor picking them up. When I stood up there was a receipt on the counter, I said, "am I all done?" She said, "ya". Again, no thank you for staying with us, or anything. And the entire time she was on her cell phone!! That's when I asked for the manager's phone number. She was fumbling around and couldn't find a card. I walked away to throw something away, came back and I had to ask her again. She wrote down on a scrap paper the phone number to the hotel. Then I said, "you know, it's very rude and inconsiderate of you to be talking on your cell phone on a personal call while you are helping customers" She replied back with, "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT AND YOU NEED TO MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!" "YOU NEED TO TEND TO YOUR CHILDREN!" I said, "excuse me? I need to tend to my children?" She said, "YES THEY MADE A STICKY MESS ON THE FLOOR IN THE DINING ROOM!" I told her, "THAT STICKY MESS WAS THERE BEFORE WE GOT THERE!" By that time I was raising my voice! She again said, "YOU NEED TO TEND TO YOUR CHILDREN!" Now, my girls are the most well behaved children, IF they spilled something they would have cleaned it up and I was in there with them the ENTIRE time. BUT, it was there before us. It would have had to dry to become sticky! I proceeded to call the main Ramada customer service phone #, submitted my complaint and received a letter in the mail from the acting general mgr. Not a phone call, a letter! It starts out apologizing, then it says, "However children are also our concern, we do have guidelines we must follow at all times when children are present in our dining area. Parents must accompany under aged children and supervise them during breakfast and in pool areas." Really?? NO S#$@!!! I never left my children unattended! And this letter is EXTREMELY INSULTING! The issue was NOT my children, the issue was the front desk person taking a personal call on her cell phone while helping customers and her response back to me when I confronted her. So obviously the acting general mgr only listened to her incompetent, rude, lazy employee.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Faith Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
La Quinta Inn Champaign
La Quinta Inn Champaign
#6 of 25 in Champaign
Baymont Inn & Suites Champaign

Been to Ramada Urbana/Champaign? Share your experiences!