“Convenient but needs some upgrade investment”

Ramada Urbana/Champaign
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Cincinnati, OH
“Convenient but needs some upgrade investment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Needed a place to stay while visiting U of I and this hotel was convenient and priced right. It was the middle of the week and the place looked deserted (which was OK and quiet). The staff was very friendly and helpful and checkin/checkout was very easy. Booked the hotel on the Ramada website only an hour or so before getting to Urbana and everything worked well with the booking (the desk clerk and I were both pleasantly surprised :-)). Very convenient to the University and downtown areas by car.

The rooms are old and showing their age badly. The shower curtain had significant mold on it, the lamp shades were cracked, and the furniture was chipped and scratched. The TV was a big picture-tube model that never worked. It was too late at night for me to worry about it then. I mentioned it to the front desk in the morning and apparently it was a simple fix by first going to channel 3 (or something like that)...in other words, a pretty old set up.

The non-smoking rooms are on the same floor as smoking rooms and you can smell the smoke if you had a room too close to the smoking section. I would ask for a room far away from the smoking section if available.

Breakfast the next morning was very average without much variety. However, it was adequate and the hotel staff was good about keeping it stocked.

Wasn't there long enough to see other amenities. Wireless internet woked fine.

This place is a few notches down from similar grade hotels from other chains but for the price and location, this hotel is just fine for short stays. The staff is doing a great job, keep it up!

Room Tip: If a non-smoker, ask for a room away from the smoking section.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank outofcvg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel and is clean andhas friendly desk staff. The pool was nice and warm. The breakfast is the typical hotel breakfast. Not for low carb diets.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Friendly staff. Large rooms with comfortable bed. Also included microwave and mini fridge in room. Only complaints, toilet ran all night, and some areas smelled smokey. Very quiet. Breakfast was average, but suited our needs. Indoor pool and exercise room. They had a mini mart to purchase snacks and misc. items. Everything was clean. Great location right off the exit. Close to everything. Stayed one night and would recommend. Decent price.

• Stayed November 2011
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

This hotel was ok for the money. It was relatively empty which was fine with me. It did the job in a pinch but I would not stay there if I was planning on staying at a hotel. It is clean and the staff was very friendly. It truly does suit the purpose of somewhere to lay your head with a bit more.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

The service is terrible!! We accidentally booked a smoking room that absolutely smelled, when we tried to switch rooms they told us they would charge us almost double the rate. The breakfast is a joke, and the attendant was literally yelling for help! We ate at mcdonalds. Never Again!!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Jenson6
NW Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

We stayed here during the state wrestling tournament for three nights. The hotel is not terrible but it is need of updating. What lacks here is the service! Throughout our stay it was consistently bad! From the breakfast room attendant getting upset that people were actually eating the food provided and using the microwave to heat up the frozen egg and sausage patties to the front desk staff who was irritated in rekeying our key cards every day because the cards all stopped working after noon, the service was almost laughable except that we were paying more than $120 a night for it! If you enjoy outdated and dingy rooms with bad service then this is the place for you. If not, try to find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank nwilslp
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Hotel was OK, nothing special, receptionist was nice, BUT!!!! here it comes! For the night I had parked my car directly in the front of the hotel, directly under the light. In the morning, when I got into my car I realized that it had been vandalized: the windshield was cracked! I could not find any rocks or other objects around the car, so it was obvious that someone walked directly to my car and hit the windshield. I thought we could figure out who has done this but the hotel manager refused to check the tape (they have a big monitor at the reception that shows 9 cameras watching the hotel inside and out). I have called the police, filed a report. The manager promissed to give the tapes free the next wednesday. (why would you have to wait, it doesn't make sense). The next week when I called, the police officer told me that the parking lot camera was turned off that night, and there was no tape. So I had to pay the $600 for a new windshield myself. I never got one SORRY from the hotel, from the manager, nor I could find a glass doctor in the area who could fix the windshield on the week end.
I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. Very bad experience, not safe for you, your family or your car.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank timetraveler005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
La Quinta Inn Champaign
La Quinta Inn Champaign
#5 of 25 in Champaign
Baymont Inn & Suites Champaign

Been to Ramada Urbana/Champaign? Share your experiences!