“This is a great hotel for the price.”

America's Best Inns & Suites
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stopped by this hotel during a recent trip to U of I and asked to see one of the rooms. I was quickly given a key to one of the rooms. I was already booked at a hotel for that week, but was returning the next week and decided to stay there. I was surprised by the poor reviews, which were dated before the current owners (who live on premises with their children) took over.

The room I stayed in had clean bedding and a very comfortable pillow-top mattress. The carpet was not new, but showed no wear. The room also had a microwave and fridge, which was bigger than the small square fridges in other hotels. I never had any issues coming or going at night, as there were no longer any people hanging around the premises as per previous reviews.

The only negative is that the hallway was not air-conditioned during the summer, which should be OK during cooler months. This was not an issue for me as I only spent a minute in the hall, and because the daily price and the incredibly low weekly price (ask about their special) more than made-up for this issue. Also a plus is that U of I is right down the street, and the food from the Korean restaurant right next door was very good. There is also a gas station across the side street where I was able to buy some things.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ronald H

Reviewed September 3, 2011

It's only a mile from campus and I'll go back to this hotel again when visiting my kid at school. It's not a huge room but comes with a small fridge and micro. For $50 it's a really good deal. Has a gas station right across the street if you need any coffee, food, or pop etc for the room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JamesWorthy
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My friends and I stayed here during my cousin's graduation weekend. This place is a great value when visiting family and friends at U of I. We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Huskies08
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I was visiting Urbana for a seminar in University original for a short trip but discussion with group led to me further chat on next day, so I had to stay. I selected them randomly, checked in. I found this motel neat and clean. Owner/Manager was co-operative. I was happy with room and the service. I may consider it for future stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ChicagoBrad81
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I received an email (on the day of my supposed "stay") from Expedia saying I had booked this hotel--which I had DEFINITELY not. It did not show up on my Expedia page. It looks like my account had been hacked. I called Expedia, and they said to call the hotel. The hotel owner, barely understandable, just kept saying "call expedia, call expedia." No matter my attempts to explain, he said I could not cancel and would be charged. I kindly advised the owner that if I was charged, I would call the police, the state attorney general and sue. Disgusting.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Lobby smelled of curry. Hall carpets torn and stained. Room carpet was stained. Mattress was dirty. if this joint was remodeled in 2009, I would like to know what was done! Did not spend the night as this place was terrible.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Ok, so here's the deal on this place. I'll start by saying that if you normally stay in 5 star hotels or are pulling up in your new rolls royce, then you probably shouldn't be booking a room at this place anyway...you can afford better. However, if you're looking for a cheap place to stay for a night or 2 in an excellent location in regards to closeness to campus, then I would recommend this place.

Yes, it is a bit run down, and the hallways smell a bit. Yes, the cab driver told me it was known as the "crack motel". However, I would stay here again, and no, I do not do crack! I stayed for one night with some friends after a football game. We checked in, went to the room and I was pleasantly surprised (after reading other reviews). The room was clean, the bathroom, while aged, was clean. The sheets seemed fresh, I did not have any stains or cigarette holes in mine. The bed was comfortable enough that I slept through the night, but no, it's not the greatest bed in the world. What can you expect for $85 a night on a home football game weekend where other motels were charging over $150? I did not see any shady characters or people doing crack, in fact there were a lot of "normal" looking people staying there for the night after the game. I didn't feel unsafe and did not get any bug bites, or even see a bug in the room. I wouldn't spend more than 2 days in this place, but if thats all you need a motel for, then this is not a bad choice.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
#22 of 25 in Champaign
1 mi away
TownePlace Suites Champaign Urbana/Campustown
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area

Been to America's Best Inns & Suites? Share your experiences!