“The night from hell...with an inept idiot manager to help.”

Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed October 20, 2012

"Your every need is cared for at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center," touts the website, but my head is still reeling from my experience. I booked a room here for a wedding. The whole party was staying at the hotel so I chose to stay here too. After the wedding, my roommate was intoxicated and brought home the black sheep cousin. Around one am when I asked him to leave, he reluctantly did. Awhile later, he started knocking incessantly at our door. I ignored him. Awhile later at 2:45am, I get a call from Anna, the nighttime manager at the front desk telling me that my rommate was at the front desk complaining that I had the deadbolt on and he could not get in. I treid to explain to her that my roommate was asleep in the next bed. She sternly told me to unlock the deadbolt and let him in. I asked her if I could speak with the person claiming to be my roommate. A man got on the phone and I asked him, "Who is this?" He then said, "Would you please just let me in?" I was so creeped out, that I hung up on him. Within minutes, I get a push notification on my phone telling me that The Eastland Suites has just run my debit card in the amount of $116.72.
I immediately and fericiously called the front desk and asked for the manager. Anna, said, "You are talking to her." I proceed to tell her that my card has just been charged and that it is unacceptable and causes me great concern that they would run it without my authorization. She torts, "Ma'am, I am not going to get in the middle of your domestic dispute." I respond that I am coming to the front desk to work this out.
I run out of the room toting my backpack and personal belongings because I have no idea if this crazy who claims to be my roommate has a key. I am in flannel pajamas and fury. I reach the desk and inform the lady that this is horribly unacceptable. She again retorts that she is not going to get into my domestic dispute and backs away from the counter. I look over and see a police officer outside. I wave him in and tell him that this is unacceptable. I am elevated in my behavior because of this womans tone and stance towards me after she has awakened me at 3am telling me that this stranger who was harrassing me by knocking on my door should be let into my room, then to be scolded about being in a domestic dispute, now she has called the cops on me. He (the cop) tells me that I need to settle down, I show him my phone showing the recent charge. Anna tries to explain that nothing has been charged and prints out the two reservations documenting my personal address and telephone number. She states that the funds have only been 'held' and that the man stated he would pay cash at checkout. So now, I am concerned that she has:
* Called me to insist I let a practical stranger into my room at 3am.
* Run my credit card so this man can get a room for the night, did I mention he is a practical stranger?
* Has given a print out with my personal information to a practical stranger that I tried to repeatedly tell her that he was not in my party. However, when I inquired about her last name, I was refused this information even though my address, phone number, and credit card info had been breeched to a stranger. Really?!
Does anybody see the NO-NO here? Because Anna, the nighttime manager certainly does not.

The police get both sides and the go talk to Anna who states that she doesn't understand why I am upset and that my card has not been charged. (Only held to complete the reservation). The police then inform me that they understand why I am upset and tell me that she has made a horrible mistake, but that since the guy won't open the door to speak with them, that this is a civil issue. They escort me to my room where I show them my roommate, who is sleeping like a baby.
In the morning I dealt with Doug, the main manager. He was nice, listened to what I said and did his best to rectify the situation, but RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE PLACE! I have never been treated like such nuisance (rather than a valued guest) from a place that touts being in the hospitality industry to make sure, "That your every need is cared for."

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Horra956
Raymond C, General Manager at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Horra956:

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay on Trip Advisor.

I am well aware of the situation with the intoxicated cousin that your roomate brought back to your room from the wedding.

I apologize for the way that the night time desk clerk handled everything. Is was an unusual situation and she was just trying to remedy the situation the best that she could.

I am glad that our Operations Manager was able to take care of everything in the morning for you.

Best Regards,

Raymond Ceresa

Reviewed September 11, 2012

The rooms are large, and the breakfast is fabulous. I like the refrigerator and microwave in the spacious room. However, heating is only available in winter, so it can get cold before winter season. There are no vents in the bathrooms and they lost my reservation. I would go back because it is a great value and the pool is really nice.

Room Tip: can be noisy on the long hall facing the street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The rooms were spacious - but dated/damaged/and not clean. We had to move to a new suite after we discovered the sofa sleeper was broken. We found a doggie bag from a previous guest in the desk drawer ...and it smelled. We found double bed sheets stretched onto the Queen bed to try and make it fit. That was Day One. Day Two - we went to breakfast at 8 am - no clean tables so we got our own wet rag to clean one off - no plates and no bowls. Coffee ran out - hot food was gone. No attendant but 3 people behind the desk that had to be interrupted to find someone to take care of the food service. When we returned from our day at 3 pm - the room had been serviced but no items resupplied - including NO toilet paper for 3 people (they had removed the empty rolls though) We could not enter the property through the locked door because the key card would not work - maintenance guy told us it was broken and the part was ordered but apparently they would not post a notice so people knew that and would have to walk around to get in another door. The final piece ---they could not give me a receipt for this hotel stay on checkout because it had been booked through a third party (AAA)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mnmommykins
rceresa, General Manager at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear mnmommykins:

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, Urbana, Illinois.

From the comment card that you completed and the reveiw your shared on Tripadvisor.com, I have met with all of our department heads. We all agree, this is not the way we wish to run our business and there were too many things that we unacceptable.

Please accept our sincere apologies. We continue to make changes to out property to ensure that all of our guests are pleased.

We would love another opportunity to earn your business back. Please feel free to contact me the next time you and your family travel to Champaign-Urbana, we will not let you down again.

Warm Regards,

Raymond Ceresa
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
rceresa@eastlandsuites.com

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stay at Eastland Suites every time I come to town to visit family. We have been coming here for about 10 years now. The rooms are so spacious, the staff is SUPER friendly, and the pool is great for the kids. They have a wonderful breakfast, nice lay-outs and fantastic suite rooms. We tend to get the double queen bedroom suite, so the boys can go to bed at night and my husband and I can sit in the front room and relax without bothering them. The room has a fridge, microwave and plenty of storage if you are staying more than a couple days. I would recommend this hotel to any family and really anyone looking for a reasonably priced hotel and that is clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Try any of the suites, they are fabulous. But if you are just looking for a "typical" roo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Birdie H
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We needed a place that could sleep five. We also needed one private room that could fully separate from the other room. We got it for $114/nt. Very nice suite. Ours had 2 queens in the bedroom. A nice little kitchenette by the living room. A really good breakfast. Didn't use the pool, butitlooked really nice, big for a hotel pool. The layout is sprawling, a tad peculiar. Oh, Forgot to mention that they give you a drink coupon from the bar for each person in your party.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ksmm
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We came to Eastland Suites for a baseball tournament with our baseball family. The hotel is an older hotel that could use an airconditioning overhaul, but it was still a nice hotel. The rooms are big, beds are kind of small but comfortable, and the pool area was nice. the one bad thing was the airconditioning couldn't keep up. It was 108 degrees the weekend we were there so I know it was just hard to keep everything cool. The breakfast was good as well, lots of choices. The best thing was the staff. As a baseball team with 12 14-15 year old boys, and families of each of these boys, they helped us out with rooms and were comfortable when we invaded the lobby area. When the lobby area was closed due to a private party they gave us a conference room free of charge so we could all be together. I would definetly suggest this hotel for groups.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Richard H
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just finished a weekend at Eastland Suites. I was steered to the location through the event I was attending. Very nice. I had booked the double bed suite but was very surprised at how nice it was. Mini kitchen/bar in the living room with TV, spacious 2 queen beds in the master. IF I had a knock, it would be the bathroom. Decent, but a bit small. But that hardly dampened my weekend. The staff was attentive, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in taking care of any needs. The check in and out was both smooth and fast even though quite busy. I have paid more than two times the rate at downtown Chicago hotels and gotten half the amenities and service. If in this area, do not look anywhere else. They will be sure to make your stay one that will get you to return on your own.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ks1020
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#14 of 25 in Champaign

Been to Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana

Address: 1907 N Cunningham Ave, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61802-1291
Location: United States > Illinois > Champaign-Urbana > Urbana
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Price Range: $75 - $163 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana 2.5*
Conveniently located in Champaign-Urbana, just off Interstate 74 and only minutes from the University of Illinois and regional business districts, Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center offers you well-appointed accommodations and superb amenities, including daily complimentary hot buffet breakfasts, the largest indoor heated hotel pool in the region, nicely appointed standard double rooms, queen and king suites (some with fireplaces), as well as flexible meeting spaces and supporting services for conferences, banquets, and wedding receptions. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Eastland Suites Hotel And Conference Center Of Champaign-Urbana