Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Vermont Illinois
“Baseball”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We came to Eastland Suites for a baseball tournament with our baseball family. The hotel is an older hotel that could use an airconditioning overhaul, but it was still a nice hotel. The rooms are big, beds are kind of small but comfortable, and the pool area was nice. the one bad thing was the airconditioning couldn't keep up. It was 108 degrees the weekend we were there so I know it was just hard to keep everything cool. The breakfast was good as well, lots of choices. The best thing was the staff. As a baseball team with 12 14-15 year old boys, and families of each of these boys, they helped us out with rooms and were comfortable when we invaded the lobby area. When the lobby area was closed due to a private party they gave us a conference room free of charge so we could all be together. I would definetly suggest this hotel for groups.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just finished a weekend at Eastland Suites. I was steered to the location through the event I was attending. Very nice. I had booked the double bed suite but was very surprised at how nice it was. Mini kitchen/bar in the living room with TV, spacious 2 queen beds in the master. IF I had a knock, it would be the bathroom. Decent, but a bit small. But that hardly dampened my weekend. The staff was attentive, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in taking care of any needs. The check in and out was both smooth and fast even though quite busy. I have paid more than two times the rate at downtown Chicago hotels and gotten half the amenities and service. If in this area, do not look anywhere else. They will be sure to make your stay one that will get you to return on your own.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ks1020
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My job takes me all over the world but I usually refrain from writing reviews. I will have to make an exemption for Eastland Suites Urbana because of Tonia, Beth, Greg, Ben, Ray and many others who went out of their way to make me, and other “regulars” I met there, feel at home. I first heard about the hotel from a University of Illinois staff member when organizing a conference there. She said that albeit it is further from campus, visitors staying and Eastland Suites tend to be the most satisfied ones. So, when I needed a place to stay a few days a week for nine months I chose Eastland Suites. It was an excellent one!

Not only that I got a very good deal for a King Studio Suite with a full kitchen, thanks to Tonia, but the rooms were always clean and well appointed. Since I checked in and out every week I probably stayed in all rooms of this type and only had three issues in more than 35 stays. First time the electronic key did not work and in 10 min I got an upgraded room. Second time, the furnace was blowing tepid air. By the time I realized it was very late at night but, in fifteen minutes, Greg and Charlie moved me, luggage and all, in a new room with the same amenities. Third time a small pool of water appeared in the bathroom the morning after I checked in. When I came back in the afternoon the problem was fixed and I was informed that a faucet had an unnoticeable leak when in use and the water needed a long time to sip into a visible place. Looking back I do not think any of these issues could have been discovered during clean-up or pre check-in inspection and I am very satisfied with the staff’s prompt and professional response.

The internet connection was always reliable as was the FREE shuttle service which can take you ANYWHERE in the Urbana-Champaign area. I enjoyed the hot breakfast with the ingredients in the omelette and potato casserole changing often, the fresh fruits, the good coffee (and I know coffee) served in porcelain cups (or to go if you wanted). But the focal point of the hotel is the well-appointed bar at which hotel guests get a free drink courtesy of the manager. Besides the free drink, the liquor prices are lower compared to the other bars, the atmosphere is great and Greg, the bartender, can teach you a new twist on your favorite drink. You might mention a special, rare drink that you like only to find a few days later that Greg ordered it, or you might mention that you like cheese with fresh fruits or that the breakfast is becoming too predictable and find next morning a selection of cheeses at breakfast and a cook with a portable stove ready to make your own omlette. Add to these karaoke parties for guests, or invitations to hotel parties (such as grand opening of a wing, etc), all with nice dinner buffets combined with extra complimentary drinks and you will know why I call them great hosts!

I am looking forward to staying again at Eastland Suites Urbana when I am in the area. I’d like to check the pool and the fitness room, say hi to Rocky the macaw, see what kind of surprise upgrade Ben might give me, talk to Greg at the bar, and check out the party Beth and Ray might be organizing. I highly recommend the place not only for its excellent rooms, prompt and highly professional service but also for the entertainment it can offer if you have time to unwind.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank pdewiz N
Indianapolis
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed here Illinois Marathon weekend (the city was packed!), and received a great rate on priceline. The property is a little strange looking-made up of a large building and then satellite buildings. At check-in, Stephanie was obviously alone and very busy, yet she was beyond polite. She had to inform us that the pool was closed for 24 hours, which was VERY disappointing to us- I asked and she informed us it was due to a fecal accident, which made me more understanding, since this was out of their control. She then informed us of a free upgrade to a 2 room, 2 queen SUITE! We had booked a double/double room. The room was unreal! It was huge, definitely apartment sized. Fridge, microwave, desk, recliner, sofabed, 2 queens in bedroom, it was terrific...which was nice considering we spent more time in there than originally planned due to inclement weather and the pool closure. The hotel was in a nice location, with Steak and Shake and Cracker Barrel within walking distance across the parking lot. The breakfast was very nice, the staff serving was very friendly, but the eating area was packed full. To be expected, though, since this is one of the busiest wknds in Champaign/Urbana. Some areas of the property have been updated, some have not. The room was so very clean! Housekeeping did a fabulous job. Overall a terrific stay!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank indyhug111
Spring Grove, Illinois
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Excellent indoor pool,nice,better than average breakfast.Internet worked vey well.Had the two bedroom loft room which was very large.Plenty of room for 4 adults 2 chidren . Only stayed one night
The facilty is somewhat older,but well maintained in the areas I visited. I would go back

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Paul B
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed in one of the newly renovated double/double rooms and was very pleased. The room was immaculately clean, fresh, and roomy. The bathroom was excellent - nice showerhead and plenty of hot water. Bed was comfy and sheets were nice and soft. My room was on the first floor and overlooked a large courtyard. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was a busy weekend -- Mom's Weekend at U of I -- but they had everything running smoothly. Would definitely stay here again, in fact, I already reserved my room for Mom's Weekend 2013!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Carol B
Chesapeake, VA
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I use tripadvisor anytime i'm in a new area and need to get an opinion on where to go, eat, stay, etc. there were some negative comments for this hotel, but since it was just me this business trip (and not with my family), i decided to make the jump and see how it really was. the main reason i choose any hotel is hot breakfast, free wifi, and better gym facilities. first impressions - the hotel parking lot needs redone as the asphalt is crumbling and makes me wonder what else is to come. high points - an actual gym (cardio machines do not mean 'gym', so other hotels need to learn), huge pool, hot breakfast, huge rooms with separate bedroom from living room, a little bar that has reasonably priced food and drinks, 1 free drink coupon each night, and walking distance to cracker barrel and a steak-n-shake were the good things to report. the bad things go as follows - i reported on a hotel-provided maintenance card some things in my room that needed looked after before i got back from my day and none of them were addressed, and one of them was a lack of working wifi. they quickly offered me another room but even though the layout was the same, the general feel of the room seemed "cheaper" than my previous room. the bed linen and comforter on the first room was hilton-like (please use these linens throughout), and the 2nd room was more like a days inn. while the things broken in my first room were in good condition in my second room, the wifi was sketchy at best. i ended up both nights returning to the bar area to finish doing my work from the blazing speeds offered from the lounge's access point. i did a walk through the hallways with my laptop trying out different access points and testing connection speeds via speed test.net, and realized their WLAN system needs either major maintenance or a complete overhaul. some access points connect to my laptop while others wouldn't, some had internet access and others didn't, and some had the speed of a dialup modem when others were blazing fast. just looking for some consistency here - as the rooms look like broken things are getting replaced with better stuff as they break, but this kind of upgrade could take awhile. greg, the bartender, who clearly had past hotel service experience was the diamond in the rough for this place. he was overly accommodating, trying to help as best as he was empowered, to try and make sure i had a good stay and rest of my evening. don't lose this one. the front desk staff also needed better training, as their responses to my issues (e.g. wifi issue) were met with uninformed/unqualified answers explaining how they thought wireless should work (wrong!) and it might be my computer (no). i see remnants of a great hotel at some point in it's lifetime but it appears management has let it slip a bit. i really wanted to like this hotel, but i don't know if the high points would be enough to sway my family's vote after experiencing the lows. i would try this place again in a few months assuming that was enough time for management to make some changes.

Room Tip: get a room close to the lounge so that you can 'see' and connect to the access point there.