Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Oak Park, Illinois
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed in one of the newly renovated double/double rooms and was very pleased. The room was immaculately clean, fresh, and roomy. The bathroom was excellent - nice showerhead and plenty of hot water. Bed was comfy and sheets were nice and soft. My room was on the first floor and overlooked a large courtyard. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was a busy weekend -- Mom's Weekend at U of I -- but they had everything running smoothly. Would definitely stay here again, in fact, I already reserved my room for Mom's Weekend 2013!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Carol B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chesapeake, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I use tripadvisor anytime i'm in a new area and need to get an opinion on where to go, eat, stay, etc. there were some negative comments for this hotel, but since it was just me this business trip (and not with my family), i decided to make the jump and see how it really was. the main reason i choose any hotel is hot breakfast, free wifi, and better gym facilities. first impressions - the hotel parking lot needs redone as the asphalt is crumbling and makes me wonder what else is to come. high points - an actual gym (cardio machines do not mean 'gym', so other hotels need to learn), huge pool, hot breakfast, huge rooms with separate bedroom from living room, a little bar that has reasonably priced food and drinks, 1 free drink coupon each night, and walking distance to cracker barrel and a steak-n-shake were the good things to report. the bad things go as follows - i reported on a hotel-provided maintenance card some things in my room that needed looked after before i got back from my day and none of them were addressed, and one of them was a lack of working wifi. they quickly offered me another room but even though the layout was the same, the general feel of the room seemed "cheaper" than my previous room. the bed linen and comforter on the first room was hilton-like (please use these linens throughout), and the 2nd room was more like a days inn. while the things broken in my first room were in good condition in my second room, the wifi was sketchy at best. i ended up both nights returning to the bar area to finish doing my work from the blazing speeds offered from the lounge's access point. i did a walk through the hallways with my laptop trying out different access points and testing connection speeds via speed test.net, and realized their WLAN system needs either major maintenance or a complete overhaul. some access points connect to my laptop while others wouldn't, some had internet access and others didn't, and some had the speed of a dialup modem when others were blazing fast. just looking for some consistency here - as the rooms look like broken things are getting replaced with better stuff as they break, but this kind of upgrade could take awhile. greg, the bartender, who clearly had past hotel service experience was the diamond in the rough for this place. he was overly accommodating, trying to help as best as he was empowered, to try and make sure i had a good stay and rest of my evening. don't lose this one. the front desk staff also needed better training, as their responses to my issues (e.g. wifi issue) were met with uninformed/unqualified answers explaining how they thought wireless should work (wrong!) and it might be my computer (no). i see remnants of a great hotel at some point in it's lifetime but it appears management has let it slip a bit. i really wanted to like this hotel, but i don't know if the high points would be enough to sway my family's vote after experiencing the lows. i would try this place again in a few months assuming that was enough time for management to make some changes.

Room Tip: get a room close to the lounge so that you can 'see' and connect to the access point there.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank hoseclamp_9
Clinton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

My son wanted to have a "hotel swim party" for his 7th birthday, so we booked several of the queen suites for ourselves and our guests as well as the "Cunningham Room" to open gifts in. The front desk staff was very friendly and extremely helpful and we were very impressed with not only the size of the rooms, but how clean they were as well. The Cunningham Room was just the right size and the staff was very accommodating to our needs. The pool is amazing and since the theme for our party was swimming, it was perfect! It is by far the largest pool I have ever seen in a hotel and they even had a basketball hoop as well as some other swim toys. All of the kids LOVED the pool, especially the basketball hoop! The beds were some of the most comfortable we have ever slept in and even though we had 6 kids in our room, there was plenty of room. There is a complimentary hot and cold breakfast in the morning and it again exceeded expectations! There was eggs, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, muffins, cereal, fresh fruit and more! Even though there was a lot of people there eating breakfast at the same time we were, the staff kept everything fully stocked, bringing out new dishes even before they completely ran out of something. Overall, we were thoroughly impressed with Eastland Suites and will DEFINITELY stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mwalsh5576
Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

Oh dear this place looks neglected. The parking lot was crumbling and falling apart. The reception area and breakfast area was dingy, dark, crowded, low ceilings with a musty smell. The breakfast food was horrible quality. The room itself was "okay". The bathroom sink was full of water. The release pull to drain the sink was broken and you had to reach into the sink to manually pull up the plug. Ick! Also the chain to the toilet was too loose and the toilet was running when we arrived. There was a big yellow stain on the sofa bed mattress. The room was fairly spacious, but worn. It did have a little kitchen with a full size refrigerator and a dishwasher. It hotel appeared to be temporary housing for low income families or maybe even college students as we saw some moms with several young children carrying groceries and laundry to rooms. I see why we got such a great rate. I would never go back as it was a sad, run down place. The people at the reception desk however were extremely nice and professional.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank HoosierNana
Aurora,Il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

Huge pool with a basketball hoop and some kids toys. Newly remodeled. Awesome value. Great front desk service and free drink coupon.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Us4In07
Chicago Il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

The hotel is dated, the parking lot too dark at night but the staff was very very nice when I chekced in. The room heaters were probably 25 years old. I was either very hot, or cold. During the night I had to get up several times to turn/off the heat to stay comfortable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank larrymartin107
Raymond C, Manager at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear larrymartin107:

Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw on Trip Advisor.

I apologize that you had trouble regulating the temperature in your room. We recently had our boilers replaced and had a certified HVAC tech go through all of our rooms to ensure that the air flow of the units in each room are working properly. I sent our maintenance supervisor to the room that you stayed in and switch that regulates the air flow needed to be replaced. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

As for the parking lot being too dark, I agree. We are actually are in the process of soliciting bids to replace all of the parking lot lights on the north and east side of the hotel with brighter and more energy efficient parking lot lights.

I have been the General Manager here for a year and a half and all of your concerns have been concerns of mine since day one. We are currently fully renovating over 50 of our double/double rooms. Once the renovation is done this February, we are excited to move forward with many other projects including the parking lot lights. Eastland Suites is a great property, we pride ourselves on great service and clean rooms. Our company is committed to bringing the hotel up to date to make our property more comfortable for all of our guests.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Best Regards,

217-367-8331
rceresa@eastlandsuites.com
Metamora, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

For Christmas, we surprised our kids with tickets to a University of Illinois basketball game, and an overnight stay in Champaign-Urbana. Based upon our previous and excellent experience at the Bloomington Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, we chose to book a double king loft room at the Eastland Suite Hote & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana. Unfortunately, this hotel experience was a disappointment. The kids didn't care, but my wife and I expected more for the price of the room.

The first room we checked in to had some dirty laundry left in one of the closets, the carpeting was stained and worn, there was a light bulb missing over the stove, the bathroom fan was annoyingly loud, the fireplace was not operational, etc. We called the front desk and asked for another room. The hotel was not overly crowded, so they were able to move us to another double king loft room. The second room didn't have any dirty laundry laying around, but the carpeting was still stained and worn, the couch had stains on it, the appliances were outdated (the bottom drawer on the stove was broken), there were only two hangers between the two closets and one hook without a hanger, not extra paper towels, etc. The property and the rooms need to be updated . . paint the outdoor stairways, new appliances, new furniture, flat screen tvs, gas fireplaces, etc. It appears that the rooms may have been painted recently . . .there were paint marks on the furniture in both of the rooms we were in. I hope the hotel didn't pay a lot for the paint job, because the painters did a poor job. We chose to buy pizzas from Papa Murphy's and cook them in the room . . . no pizza cutter, so we used a knife. We had a bottle of wine to open, but the wine opener appeared old and rusted.

The beds were very nice and we slept well. However, our oldest child didn't like the pullout couch. She said that it was like sleeping on a net of springs. Kids are resilient though . . she lived.

Breakfast was served from 6 to 10. We arrived at 9:00, and there was no coffee, no bacon, no hashbrowns, no cream cheese for the bagels, dry scrambled eggs, and obviously no one staffing the area. We had to ask someone to get all these things for us . . . apparently there were not enough guests in the hotel to warrant keeping the food open until 10:00. When the food was restocked, we got tater tots instead of hashbrowns. Also, they had brownies . . for breakfast?

Perhaps we're overly critical, but there were a lot of little things that added up to making this a let-down for us. Our interaction with college students (one at the front desk and the other drove the shuttle that took us to the game) was excellent and they were very helpful. Our kids still had a good time . . the Illini won their game in double-overtime, so we got our money's worth at the basketball game. Unfortunately, for $159 at the Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, we did not get we paid for!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank PnB430
Raymond C, Manager at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear PnB430:

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay at Eastland Suites in Urbana. I am terribly sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

I have met with our houskeeping department about the closet not being checked prior to your arrival. Finding anything left by a previous guest is unacceptable. We have made a few changes in our housekeeping department since your stay to ensure that it does not happen again.

The maintenace issued you encountered as well as the condition of the carpeting is also unacceptable. I have been the General Manager her for the past year and a half and we have our carpets cleaned on a regular rotation. We will be sure that the carpet in the room that you and your family stayed in will be addressed right away.

Our breakfast is something we pride ourselves on, I will pass your feedback about the breakfast to our kitchen manager and chef. We always have a breakfast attendent or kitchen manager in our breakfast room. I do not have an explanation of why the quality of the breakfast was poor and that you had to ask for items that should have already been stocked. We just need to do a better job.

I will address all of your issues with my entire staff. Again, my sincere apologies. We are striving to get our property up to date and in the meantime, all of our guests should experience clean rooms and great service.

Please contact me directly the next time that you and your family come to Champaign Urbana, I will be sure that we will not let you down for your next visit.

Warm regards,

Raymond Ceresa
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center
217-367-8331
rceresa@eastlandsuites.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Ramada Urbana/Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign

Been to Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana

Property: Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana
Address: 1907 N Cunningham Ave, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61802-1291
Location: United States > Illinois > Champaign-Urbana > Urbana
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana 2.5*
Conveniently located in Champaign-Urbana, just off Interstate 74 and only minutes from the University of Illinois and regional business districts, Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center offers you well-appointed accommodations and superb amenities, including daily complimentary hot buffet breakfasts, the largest indoor heated hotel pool in the region, nicely appointed standard double rooms, queen and king suites (some with fireplaces), as well as flexible meeting spaces and supporting services for conferences, banquets, and wedding receptions. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Eastland Suites Hotel And Conference Center Of Champaign-Urbana