“Love fest with the Courier”
Review of The Courier Cafe

The Courier Cafe
Ranked #2 of 96 Restaurants in Urbana
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Saint Joseph, Illinois
“Love fest with the Courier”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I love the Courier. The atmosphere is nostalgic and warm, the food is superb. I love the Darcy burger and skinny dips. Wonderful

Visited July 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Champaign
“Local treasure”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

If you plan to visit the Courier Cafe on a weekend for breakfast or lunch, be prepared for a bit of a wait. It is one of the most popular places in town. And there is a good reason for that!

The Courier is a delightful independent restaurant serving great food in a lovely atmosphere. Take time to read the back of the menu and learn about all the various antiques decorating the restaurant. I love the Pullman lights in the wooden booths giving a warm glow to the table.

The Courier has great breakfast options, although my visits have been more for lunch. They have excellent soups and a wide variety of sandwiches. The salad bar is always very fresh, and has a wide variety of ingredients. One interesting thing is that the salad bar is sold by weight, so if you just want a side salad, or want to heap your plate full, you pay accordingly. I think that is very fair.

My favorite sandwich is the turkey club. The burgers are also great. Don't forget to try milkshake made the old-fashioned way and served to you along with the metal cup it was mixed in! They are the best. If you have room the "Misprint" Hot Fudge Sundae is a generous scoop of ice cream served with the warmed hot fudge on the side for a low price. It is enough to share, but I rarely want to . . .

The staff is always friendly and attentive. You can't go wrong at the Courier!

• Visited November 2012
Saint Joseph, Illinois
“Lovely little place!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great food, service....smaller lovely place. Salad bar is weight by the oz. Never had a bad dish at the Courier. The Dagwood is one of the best sandwiches....at least in my opionion. Just wish they had some apple butter for my sweet potatoe frys....lol.

Visited October 2012
Urbana, Illinois
“glad i gave this place another chance.”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I went back to Courier Cafe because my wife likes the place and also we had a $25 certificate that I had paid $12.50 for (from Cisaves.com, check this site for deals on local CU restaurants! :)).

We went with another couple at around 5:30 on a cold, wet night. Most of the front area was empty so we sat in a booth and ordered. Our waitress was friendly and gave us a lot of time to order. She answered my question and double checked about any gluten content in the meat or sauces.

My friends got their famous burgers and my wife and I got the chicken terriyaki and salad bar. I did not like my previous visit because of the numerous staff standing around. Our waitress was very attentive and checked on us multiple times so I am glad that I went again.

• Visited October 2012
BirminghamAL
“Nice Quaint Resturant”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I had just driven 11 hours to get to Champaign so we could visit my mentors from graduate school and family - and we were tired. She checked Tripadvisor for a good local restaurant and the reviews were good. I now understand why.

The building is an old newspaper building that reportedly caught fire and was restored several years ago. The antiques on the walls, and historical data made it very interesting. Our table was lit by a light from a Pullman Coach train car.

The food was good, and reasonably priced. The onion rings appeared to be homemade and were cooked "just right." The salad is sold by the ounce. You fix your plate at a very nice salad bar and they weigh it. Your order is then placed on that ticket.

The food was good and they have a good selection. However, the huge cookies taste "store bought." Even so, I'm glad we came and would come back if we're ever in the area.

• Visited September 2012