New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Urbana
Chicago, Illinois
“Bedbugs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I are alums of the University of Illinois and looked forward to staying at the Illini Union Hotel when we went there for our daughters registration on July 1, 2013. We checked in after the drive and then went touring the towns we hadn't seen in many years. We were back at the hotel for perhaps a half hour when my wife noticed a bug on my daughters pillow. She freaked out saying it's a bed bug. I didn't want to believe it as I was tired from the drive and walking on my surgically repaired knee. I was still fully clothed, laying on the bed, so I advocated for it just being an outdoor bug that got in (dumb, but I was tired). I got a good look at the bug as I took the pillow to the bathroom to get rid of it. There smaller bugs on it. I checked online and darned if it wasn't exactly a bedbug! Upon further inspection, they were all around the bed. We got the hell out of there at 11:30 at night and thankfully got a room at another, real, hotel in town. Fortunately, we didn't carry any out with us. However, we carried several bug BITES on us, even I who was fully clothed had bites on my ankles while laying atop the blanket.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. It isn't worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Gerry M
Illini_Union, Manager at Illini Union Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
The staff and management, again, apologize for your experience. We had the area treated immediately. We actually were told that's a common problem throughout town and our hotel has one of the better records for least occurrences. Our staff prides itself in the cleanliness of our rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at the Illini Union for a recent college visit. As an Alum of U of I, I was so excited to stay there! We areived at the Union, checked in and receuved our parking pass and went to our room. As for parking....it was "one and done". Made things so much easier and didn't have to worry about looking for legal spots to park. The Union is centrally located in campus but really everything revolves around this location as it sits at one end of the Quad. The beds were very comfortable. Room was clean and perfect for sleeping. Rooms are in need of updating but this didnt really bother us because we were really only there to shower and sleep. Continental breakfast was included and was very basic (danish, muffins, bagels, cold cereal, coffee, juice). Would definitely stay there again. Bery hard to get rooms there for cisitors weekends/football games.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank dfish1079
Thank you so much for your comments. It's so special when someone takes the time to good things. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

All in all, this hotel was quite a bit pricier than other hotels in the area and you are paying top $ for location - and nothing more.
The staff at the hotel was great. Very friendly and accommodating. I very much so appreciated that.
The rooms themselves were very bare bones and extremely outdated -- (minus the big screen TV on the wall)... I felt like I had gone back in time. The bathroom was very tiny, and again in need of some updating. The beds were very comfortable however.
My main concern was the noise factor. While people were respectful at night, in the morning, the hotel got very very noisy. I am not sure if it was people congregating in the hallways or in adjacent rooms (because the hotel is so old, I can see how this would be a concern).
Free breakfast is provided, but only until 9, so we missed it...
Overall, while the staff was great, I probably would not spend the extra $ to stay here unless I really needed to be able to stay right on campus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank hollyx113
The staff an management of the Illini Union thank you for your comments. After undergoing renovations from 2004 through 2009, we will be planning more in the near future. We'll look forward to seeing you then!
Park Ridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Took a tour of the campus. Parked once and done. Everything is within 10 minute walk which gives you a feel of the campus . The room were comfortable, clean, and breakfast was included. Nice view of the quad

Room Tip: I mentioned visiting for a campus tour received 10.00 discount.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kimdrago
Thank you so much for the kind words. It's refreshing to be able to hear the good comments and be able to pass them on the staff. We hope to see you again soon!
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Check in was easy, lots of food options in the food court, there is a student rec center in the basement where you can bowl or play arcades, and it is in the middle of campus so it is very conveniently located. Not fancy, but served its purpose.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thanks for the kind words. We really appreciate your taking the time to comment. It's morale-boosting to be able to pass along to the staff that someone's noticed the good jib they do. We hope to see you again soon!
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This bare-bones hotel is located inside the student union at UIUC. The reception area is on the side right next to a main entrance to the union, and rooms are located in various blocks in the hotel, particularly in one area of the the 3rd and 4th floors.

The rooms themselves are clean but tired, with fairly spare furnishings. The bed was okay, and the bathroom was adequate but not particularly nice. One plus at this hotel is that wifi works very well, as it's the (very robust) campus-wide network. The hotel provides "breakfast," but it's pretty poor---there are some cereal dispensers located in a room-key accessible room on the 3rd floor, some refrigerated items, and a few other things to choose from. They had some cut-up fruit available in the refrigerator, but it was particularly awful (it was mostly unripe, even the grapes). There are food options available on the bottom floor of the union, but they close quite early.

All in all, it's not really worth staying here, even if you have business on campus. It's easy to get around the local area, so next time I'd pick a nicer place.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank a_traveler54
Bolingbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We attended an admitted-student day event recently. The event registration started at 8:15 am, so after a satisfactory continental breakfast, we were just a quick elevator ride to the main event. Not having to make the drive from the suburbs in the wee morning hours, priceless! It was so convenient staying on campus, plus the added bonus of having a parking spot at the union all day. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bathroom water pressure was weak, and the shampoo & conditioner provided were in a teeny, tiny pouch. I would suggest bringing your own or asking for additional pouches, if there are more than two people in the room. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
#2 of 25 in Champaign
4.5 of 5 stars 261 reviews
I Hotel & Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana

Been to Illini Union Hotel? Share your experiences!