“Very Clean, Great Breakfast, Wonderful Staff! LOVED IT!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Right from the beginning I noticed the lobby and breakfast area were very clean and nicely decorated! Even at 9 in the evening there was fresh coffee and hot water and tea bags. Had a nice nite time tean before bed! The staff that checked us in was so friendly! The room was so clean, and I am such a icky picky person! The windows opened which I love some fresh air, most hotel windows do not open! There was a real thermostat rather than a high low heater. Beds so comfy, wonderful pillows! 4 of us in room all were very pleased! Hot tub and pool were both great, we were the only ones there so it was lovely! Breakfast had biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, bagels etc... Wonderful!! About 11:00 we got a call so kindly asking if we would like a late check out at 2! Of course we took it and took our time getting packed up and ready! Really pleased with whole trip! Wonderful!! Would stay again for sure!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 19, 2009

The hotel reminded me of a Hampton Inn we stayed at last week but everything was done much cheaper. The beds were Ok but nothing special, regular old TV, not a flat screen, graffitti scratched inside the elevator. The coffee pot rattled on the table when we walked past so I was glad we were on the top floor. Clean enough but had a Motel 6 feel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2008

My family and I stayed there so that we could be close to the U of I campus for my daughter's Illinois Summer Youth Music camp. The location was excellent.
We were very happy with how clean the hotel was. The kids loved the pool, and the free breakfast bar was very nice. The hotel was very quiet. Our only complaint was that the pillows were too soft, and the air fluctuated a bit too much during the night. Overall, it is a very nice, clean hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MusicinUrbana
Reviewed February 11, 2008

The night manager was very nice in checking us in at 200a. Much friendlier than I ever expected. We received a room that was right by the lobby and sort of near the breakfast area.

Overall, a typical Holiday Inn Express, and a bit pricey ($100) for one.

The vacuums started at 630a, and someone was chitchatting with whomever was doing the vacuuming. Very annoying. The housestaff also knocked several times before 900a to see if we were in. We were.

May have been an isloated incident, but it goofed up our sleep.

Also, the "blackout" drapes do not keep all sunlight out, which was equally disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Property is very close to I-57 and I-74 and is newish. Good proximity to the eateries on North Prospect (2 exits back toward I-57). Service was very good. They accommodated my early check-in request so that I could be on business calls from noon onward. Breakfast was fine, nothing special although I heard the attendant say they were renovating the offerings to include bacon and eggs in two weeks. One slight beef is that the room offered wired Internet access but I never found their wifi signal. Others in my group tried, but I was happy using the wired connection (be careful: no Ethernet wires in the rooms, so bring your own).

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank putty469
Reviewed October 1, 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Urbana on September 29, 2007. The price of the room was about $140 total which was too expensive for this particular hotel. I made the reservation online. The day before I was to stay at the hotel, I received a call from one of the people at the front desk confirming my stay for September 28. The wrong day. So I called to make sure they had my correct reservation date. The young man I spoke to was kind of clueless. He tried his best to find my reservation and I had to repeat myself several times. I told him the day my reservation was for, the 29th ,and when he finally looked at the reservations for that day, my reservation was there. So whoever called me had their information incorrect. OK, so as long as we had our days right, I was fine. I wanted a nice hotel to lay my head after some intense martial arts workshops.

I get to the hotel and my room was very nice. I had a room with two queen beds since that was all they had available (there was a football game that day so they were quite full). I don't mean to nit pick but, the bathroom had long hairs on the floor, the complimentary shampoo, had been used and the toilet had a very weak flush. Again, for $140 I expected better upkeep of course. I slept fine. The bed was extremely comfy and the TV worked just fine. No complaints there.

On checking out, I requested their shuttle service to take me to the train station. While I was waiting, in front of me, two employees (I believe they were cleaning ladies) griped about the people they worked with, complained about the work they had to do. It turned out that one of them had quit and was venting to one of her former co-workers. Then, I overheard them say that the shuttle driver had quit (I could be wrong) so the front desk called a cab at their expenses which I thought was good service.

Overall, this Holiday Inn Express is a good place to sleep. Beds are comfy. Hopefully they'll see this message and pay more attention to cleaning their bathrooms. Oh, and tell their employees, if they're going to complain loudly about working there, do it out of earshot of guest.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank fluffystella2004
Reviewed January 21, 2007

This new-ish Holiday Inn Express is a good one. It's directly across the parking lot from the Holiday Inn in Champaign (on Liberty Street & Kilarney). The location is convenient to the University of Illinois, as well as to Highway I-74 and the various malls on Neil and Prospect. As of August, 2006, the Holiday Inns in Champaign are Smoke Free. I believe all hotels in that city are.

Check-in was a breeze, as was checkout. The desk staff was friendly and efficient. I had booked through the Holiday Inn website. I was attending a conference at the "regular" Holiday Inn, which was booked full. The cost was $109.50 plus tax per night, as opposed to ca. $114/night at the "full service" Holiday Inn across the parking lot. The regular Holiday Inn is older, and the rooms are smaller, BTW.

The Express hotel has an indoor pool and fitness center. Ditto a business center accessible using room key card. Local calls were free, but there was no wireless or high speed internet access in the rooms.

We had a large room with two Queen size beds, 4 pillows on each bed (soft, medium and hard and mushy). The pillow cases were actually labeled (except for the "mushy"). The hotel has given up using bedspreads, and so the beds were done up in big white duvets and a fluffy chenile blanket. Very homey. There was a desk and a nice "lounge" chair, two desk chairs, sufficient lights, a small TV that sat on a 3 drawer chest of drawers. The bathrooms were reasonably large, and there were actually enough towels for 2 people! Toiletries were basic: shampoo, body wash, and 2 bars of soap. There's a coffee makers and hair dryer, too. Both worked well. Nothing fancy.

Breakfast is complimentary. Coffee, tea, peeled hard-boiled eggs, bananas, toast, muffins, bagels, sweet rolls, and juice. There's a large screen TV in the "breakfast" area. The only meal served is breakfast (6:30 - 9:30 a.m.), but you can buy snacks in a small "pantry" throughout the day.

Now for a very few negatives: The walls are thin. Although we couldn't hear the elevators, we could hear people in the hallways. The in-room heating system was extremely noisy. The sheets were not changed every day, although the room was cleaned and straightened, and new towels and toiletries set out.

If I were going down to the U of I or attending another conference in the Champaign-Urbana area, I would probably stay here again.

Stayed: January 2007
6  Thank Travelingmaven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Drury Inn & Suites Champaign

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)

Address: 1003 W Killarney St, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61801-1036
Location: United States > Illinois > Champaign-Urbana > Urbana
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Price Range: $94 - $133 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area) 2.5*
Stay Smart at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Champaign-Urbana, IL (U of I Area) home of the University of Illinois! We are pleased to offer free high-speed Internet access and are 100% non-smoking. While staying with us join us for our famous Express Start breakfast which includes hot items as well as the world s best tasting cinnamon rolls. Located by the university access corridor, Lincoln Avenue, you are a short two mile drive from the heart of the University of Illinois, including the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, the Spurlock Museum, Campbell Alumni Center, Mills Breast Cancer Institute, U of I Admissions and Records, Beckman Institute and Illini Union and Memorial Stadium - home of Fighting Illini football and the University of Illinois Assembly Hall. Also near the Holiday Inn Express in Urbana are the quaint downtowns of Urbana and Champaign, the local Amtrak station, FlightStar and Frasca (C16) International Airports. Closest Airport: U of I Willard Airport (CMI) Closest hospitals: Carle Foundation Hospital/Carle Clinic & Provena Covenant Medical Center We re here, ready with all you need to make your trip to Champaign/Urbana a success. We re the Holiday Inn Express! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Urbana-Champaign (u Of i Area)
Holiday Inn Urbana
Urbana Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U Of I Area) IL - Champaign-Urbana