“Comfortable and convenient”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a clean property and exactly what we have come to expect of a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 18, 2012

very good experience in all regards. Rooms clean and nice. B'fast was good - but ran a little short of some items close to shutdown time.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were in town for a wedding, met by busloads of soccer players and parents who came for a weekend tournament. Still, the hallways at night were relatively quiet (I guess the kids were tired out). Our third-floor king suite was very clean, comfortable, and cool. Check-in was easy, and check-out at nearly noon was no problem. We simply hung the “quiet please” card on the door, and the housekeeping never bothered us, even after stepping out for brunch. There’s plenty of parking here, with easy access to I-74 via Lincoln Ave.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here while attending the Illinois Basketball Banquet. The reviews had this hotel better than the Holiday Inn where the banquet was being held. So I chose to stay here. When getting ready for bed I saw an ant crawling on my pillow. I looked further and found the source was the floor and wall behind the night stand. I called to the front desk. The guest service host Audra was very nice and told me she would switch our room. I was to tired to pack everything up and just dealt with it.We did get $20 bucks off of our bill the next morning at check-out. But needless to say I didn't sleep real well.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
jeffedwards, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area), responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Thank you for your recent reply. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the issue that you experienced during your recent stay. We strive to give the best service and product possible and in this instance we failed to provide this to you, our most valued guest. I have taken the liberty of working with our housekeeping and maintenance departments and together we have put procedures in place to ensure that what occurred with your room does not happen to another guest. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is through the input of our valued guest's that allows us to have the high quality and service that we strive to achieve.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband & I used to live in Urbana and were in town visiting friends for a night The hotel's website says the hotel is "Downtown/City Center.” There aren't really any hotels that are downtown or in the city center, but the HIE is a bit further from things. The areas between the hotel and the U of I, downtown Champaign, downtown Urbana, or the mall aren't the greatest. Close drive, not really walkable or anything. The only nearby restaurant is a truck stop/road side diner type place called Urbana Gardens. There are much more convenient areas to stay in Champaign. If you really want to stay in Urbana this place isn't awful.

Check-in was a bit slow but fine. I was really surprised that this hotel has one smallish loud elevator, which probably leads to frustration on busy weekends. Our room had two queen-sized beds. The bathroom was pretty basic with a pretty granite counter top. I was surprised the room had a small non-LCD TV. The room was large, other than two queen beds, there was also a chair, dresser w/ the TV, and a desk.

My first issue was with the cleanliness. The bedding seemed clean, as did the towels, but the room could use some real deep cleaning. The carpet was very stained. I don't know if anyone has tried to clean it, but it either needs to be cleaned or replaced. I refused to not have my shoes on the whole time. The bathroom was also not in great shape. The tub had a few hairs in it. My big issue was that all of the corners of the room had a collection of dust & hair stuck in them. Not huge dust bunnies, but enough that wiping it with a Clorox wiped cleaned it up easily enough (housekeeping might try this). I'd say what a broom, mop, or vacuum can't do housekeeping leaves on the floor.

While the beds were comfy and had the usual Holiday Inn pillow assortment, I did not sleep well. Our room was on the second floor on the back side of the hotel. Unfortunately, the back of the hotel is too close to I-74. All night I heard road noise. Lucky the highway isn't too busy I guess. In addition, the heat/ac unit was kind of loud and ran too much. We didn't have any issues hearing other guests but the hotel also didn't seem too full. We also didn't have any issues with water pressure in the bathroom, just a problem that our showerhead leaked where it connected to the pipe, which caused water to hit the faucet and splash out of the tub (yes solvable with an extra hand towel on the edge of the tub, but another long-term care issue).

Breakfast was fine. Scrambled eggs (not the preformed kind, but probably from a carton), very overdone super thin buffet style bacon, yogurt, cereal, toast, juice, oatmeal, coffee, biscuits & gravy, etc. Of course the normal HIE cinnamon rolls, yum. There was the pancake machine thing also. The machine at this HIE made rather pale, non-fluffy, rubber-like discs. YouTube leads me to believe that other machines make the pancakes a bit darker/more cooked looking, but the machine at this location makes me wish that I had a camera at breakfast. The outside was pale and barely browned; the inside was just as flat and smooth as the outside and resulted in something that neither my husband nor I wanted to eat.

I don’t know that I’d stay at this hotel again. I just think there are probably more convenient locations that are a bit cleaner. Furthermore, the price isn’t great. Maybe if you stay only at HIEs this is the place for you. If you need to be on the north side of Urbana right off the Lincoln Ave exit, I guess this might be the best option. Otherwise, they’d have to clean it up a bit for me to want to stay again. I just really don’t find redeeming qualities. In the future I'd probably stay in Champaign.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot, on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The property overall looked clean. It is a newer or remodeled property. We paid $128 per night for a 2 night stay on the weekend. For the price we paid we expected a little more than your standard Holiday Inn Express. The walls are pretty thin, so we were woken up quite often. The heating/ac unit was pretty loud and was constantly blowing cold air. The water pressure was super low on the sink and the shower pressure was average. Toiletry products were some generic brand. On Saturday morning we got a wake up call at 5:30 am that we didn't request. We told the front desk later about this later, we didn't get an apology or any form of acknowledgement other than an "ok". I don't think we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank A Y
jeffedwards, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area), responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the issues you experienced and assure you that this was the exception and not the norm at our hotel. We strive to give each of our guests the best possible product and service, obviously we failed to provide that to you our most valued guest. I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments with the other members of our team, and together we have put procedures in place to ensure that all guest issues are dealt with in an appropriate manner. Thank you again.

Sincerely

Jeffery L. Edwards, CHA

Reviewed July 7, 2011

My car broke down while on a one day trip. I was forced to spend the night, and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express where I always stay. The hotel was clean and rooms were ready. They always treat me well. Join the rewards program, it has been a beneficial one for me. I do not travel too often, but the points added up quickly. I am using them to stay in San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that does not have a bright light outside the window.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
TownePlace Suites Champaign Urbana/Campustown
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana
Wingate By Wyndham Champaign

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)

Address: 1003 W Killarney St, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61801-1036
Location: United States > Illinois > Champaign-Urbana > Urbana
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Price Range: $115 - $217 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area) 2.5*
Stay Smart at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Champaign-Urbana, IL (U of I Area) home of the University of Illinois! We are pleased to offer free high-speed Internet access and are 100% non-smoking. While staying with us join us for our famous Express Start breakfast which includes hot items as well as the world s best tasting cinnamon rolls. Located by the university access corridor, Lincoln Avenue, you are a short two mile drive from the heart of the University of Illinois, including the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, the Spurlock Museum, Campbell Alumni Center, Mills Breast Cancer Institute, U of I Admissions and Records, Beckman Institute and Illini Union and Memorial Stadium - home of Fighting Illini football and the University of Illinois Assembly Hall. Also near the Holiday Inn Express in Urbana are the quaint downtowns of Urbana and Champaign, the local Amtrak station, FlightStar and Frasca (C16) International Airports. Closest Airport: U of I Willard Airport (CMI) Closest hospitals: Carle Foundation Hospital/Carle Clinic & Provena Covenant Medical Center We re here, ready with all you need to make your trip to Champaign/Urbana a success. We re the Holiday Inn Express! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Urbana-Champaign (u Of i Area)
Holiday Inn Urbana
Urbana Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U Of I Area) IL - Champaign-Urbana