Cafe Paradiso
Ranked #4 of 5 Coffee & Tea in Urbana
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were visiting family in Urbana in July, 2012. For our last evening's meal we chose Cafe Paradiso, within walking distance from where we were staying. It's a small, cozy place and very comfortable. The server took our drink orders, and brought them promptly. We ordered the baked mussels for an appetizer, and they were delivered in a light tomato sauce - delicious. Our entrees varied from lasagne, lobster ravioli, spaghetti carbonara, and penne. All were very good, and there were two containers taken home. The server was very responsive to refills, and didn't constantly bother us with "how's everything folks?" questions. All in all it was a very enjoyable meal, because we were with family, and because the entire meal was delicious.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Visited Caffe Paradiso for the first time since sophomore year and ordered the hummus plate for takeout. It was decent and filling enough for lunch. Would I rush back for more? Probably not, till I run out of meal options, which I probably will soon...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I frequent Paradiso every other day for about a year -- it is a nice 5 min walk from my office. The atmosphere is very nice, I feel a little like back to Europe. However, I am not a big fan of their coffee (both espresso and brewed coffees are average ; I would go to Artmart at Lincoln Square or Copi in Champaign downtown for better coffee) but still their coffee is probably the best among the places close to Campus (after Juliani's/Green Street cafe is closed). Other alternatives, like Starbucks or Espresso Royal are certianly much worse. Not sure, why people complain about the staff -- I found them very friendly. Tried their food only once, was not impressed -- but I am not into sandwiches anyway (they also have soups though -- never tried). (If I decide to go for sandwich I would probably go for English Hedgerow also on Lincoln or to Bread Company on Goodwin).
Oh, almost forgot -- the pastries they have are from the Mirabelle bakery (the best in town), so they are quite good.

Reviewed June 24, 2009

Ever since Paradiso has changed ownership I've been hopping for some improvements. Unfortunately their coffee has gotten more expensive ($2.11 for a small coffee) and their staff more-and-more rude. The cafe plays music WAY to loud, many times its impossible to hold a conversation, let alone get any kind of work done. As mentioned the staff is often rude and they DO mess up orders on a regular basis. What is worse, is that they don't seem to run their AC over the summer. They have an open kitchen area so it can get hot and steamy, on top of the already unbearable Urbana summer heat. If you're looking for a place enjoy coffee, have a nice conversation with friends, or get some studying done your better off going to a cafe in downtown Champaign (there are several). Its too bad the new owners of Paradiso haven't improved the atmosphere, quality and price of coffee, and trained or replaced their staff. I live 1-block away, but I now take my business elsewhere.

BTW, did I mention people double-park all the time in their four-car wide parking lot...so get ready for the staff to yell and announce someone needs to move their car on a regular basis.

2  Thank UrbanaGrad
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Terrible service, snarky attitudes, and mediocre coffee at best. This place has a lot of potential and it may have been good in the past. Cafe Kopi in Champaign is a better option if you can travel; if not, skip it----Cafe Paradiso isn't worth the time or money.

2  Thank JCSubhunter