“Almost a European Ambience”

Bread Company on Goodwin
Ranked #10 of 102 Restaurants in Urbana
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Bread Company is right on the campus of the University of Illinois, and is well used by university folk as well as the local residents. It sells very good bread, and great lunch snacks, like pizzas, sandwiches, soups and salads, either to eat in or to take away.
It is also a very good cafe/restaurant. In the evenings, you can choose from the pizzas, but they also have a good selection of lovely appetizers, salads, and fish or meat dishes. Beer and wine selection is good too, and many students and/or faculty like to go there for "Happy Hour".
We go there fairly frequently and have been happy with the food and the service. The atmosphere is especially nice in the cooler months, when they have a fire in the fireplace. They also have a Valentine's Day special, which is when we were last there (just a few days ago). They offer a set-price menu for couples, which consists of a choice of salad, then a choice of fondue (comes with a raw vegetable plate) and a glass of wine. This year, the price for that was $42, which we thought was very reasonable. We actually had different salads and a bottle of wine, but many couples took advantage of the special offer.
For good food, in a relaxed, casual atmosphere, we think this is hard to beat.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My Sweetheart and I have especially enjoyed the Bread Company's Sunday brunch, which starts at 11 AM. Their coffee equipment was broken, but we could get what we wanted at the Espresso Royale next door. There is plenty of seating if you come early.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The daily soup and bread lunch special is great at the Bread Co. For about $3.50 its a great deal. The fondue makes for a great appetizer. My favorite is the Corn Chowder and Swiss Bread.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

When picking up my student from UIUC, we stopped at the Bread Company for a late, light dinner. My kids split a veggie pizza of some kind & ate it all. I had salad (wonderful fresh mozzarella & delicious vinaigrette dressing) and a homemade soup - vegan, I believe. Next journey to Urbana, will definitely try to schedule in a visit to the Bread Company.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just popped in to see some friends. Saw the salad on the website before going so i ordered it. SWEET! really fresh, Croutons were just out of the oven. wow ill be back. The staff was perfect; for a college town that was a pleasure. My girl got the yellow fin tuna, small plate, but plenty of flavor. Crafte of wine, way to go! cool place to chill, talk, eat good food. I will be back