Urbana Landmark Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed May 4, 2014

It seems like this hotel was boarded up for 50 years and the new owners just decided to turn the lights on one day and start renting rooms out. At some point in time years ago this place must have been interesting. The problem is that since that time it seems that no work has been done to keep it up.

The wife and I spent a night on the 4th floor during the Illinois Marathon, everything else in town was booked.. The elevator was like riding down to a coal mine. Banging and crashing it's way to the 4th floor. It was also covered in carpet, floor, walls , ceiling....all very dirty. 4th floor elevator lobby really said it all. Light fixture made from animal parts was broken and held together with string and covered in a thick layer of dust. The walls had overspray on them from the last time the popcorn ceiling had been repaired. All the woodwork must have been nice once but needed a new coat of varnish 30 years ago. The hallways were literally falling apart with the ceiling containing many large holes in various states of repair. It looked as if someone had abandoned the idea of repairs mid stream and left the plastic up. Hall was also VERY dark as the owners have chosen to use very low wattage lights. The room was very drab, looked like a "by the hour" place. The walls were covered in stains from years of smoking. The floor in the bathroom was missing all of the glaze from the tiles and the walls were covered in rotting carpet!!! The bathtub was newish but the shower didn't function properly.

At checkout I was all set to do some complaining but the old lady at the front desk literally spoke NO ENGLISH! NONE AT ALL! She seemed like one of those people who had been smuggled into the USA in a shipping container and forced to work for nothing.

The cost of the room was no deal either. I think we paid about $140 after taxes. They also did everything strangely, such as making you pay for the room at the start of the stay and taking a physical imprint of my creditcard like it was 1985 or something.

We also saw no staff in the hotel anywhere other than the front desk during our entire stay. No bell hop, no cleaning/room service staff, no manager running around and no maintenance personnel (which they needed badly).

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RyleyinSTL

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This grand hotel has seen better days. It needs a thorough cleaning and basic upgrade to make it an acceptable place for decent lodging. The hallways have a putrid smell. The internet service is poor. There is no breakfast served and no functioning restaurant due to permit issues. We were transferred to another room after a City fire inspector did an inspection of all the rooms and probably disallowed the use of one wing of the hotel. We had a window with a view of an inner courtyard littered with construction debris that was never cleaned during our 3 night stay. It seems like the garbage has been there for months and even years. I get the feelibg that the new owners are running the property on a shoe string budget with relatives from China.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Omega Explorer
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I was only here for one night. First, the hotel has some great qualities, including it's architecture and history. However, there are issues that should be addressed. After I checked in and received my room key, I went up to my room. It was very warm in the room so I turned the air conditioning on. I waited about 5 minutes but it never came on. I attempted to use the phone in the room to call the front desk, but there was no dial tone. I then used my cell phone to call to the front desk. The woman came up, confirmed the AC didn't work (as if I didn't press the same buttons she did), and took me to another room. When I got in this room, the air & phone worked fine, but I noticed stains on some of the towels and the outlet behind the bed was extremely loose with the cover almost removed. Customer service was below average. For $149/night with tax, I expect good service, cleanliness, and everything in the room to work properly.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were back in Urbana to see our grand parents and cousins after 10 years of working overseas. My relative told me that the Jumers hotel, now renamed as Urbana Landmark Hotel, had been renovated and reopened not long ago. I stayed at this unique hotel for four days. The entrance and lobby are just beautiful. The white marble floor in the public area is gorgeous. The guestrooms are bigger than those of most chain hotels. The new flat screen tv and free sports channels were just what I expected from an upscale hotel. Free Wi-Fi at the hotel allowed to connect with my friends and co-workers. This is a modern hotel with old style.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank jennifer d
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding and had much higher expectations. I guess I'm more used to modern. well-kept hotels, so this place really didn't appeal to me. I agree with the previous poster that the marble lobby looks nice, but it just got weird after that. The reception area looks like the set of a cheesey horror movie, with the suit of armour and creepy paintings that look like they are following you. The baroque-esque furniture was also pretty garish. The elevators were very slow and had this awful floral fabric paneling. Yuck! The room was okay, except we were right near a bell tower that rung every hour!!! Plus, there were not many channels on the TV. Further, I was not surprised that there wasn't any kind of fitness center. I like to maintain my exercise routine while I travel, but it was not possible here. And of course there is no free breakfast or even restaurants like the more modern hotels.

The service was okay. The girls working the front desk were nice, but very unorganized. It took them awhile to find my reservation. They also wore shorts and T-shirts, which is unprofessional, in my opinion. The owner was friendly, even opening the bar early for us, but he really didn't seem to know what he was doing.

The room where the wedding reception was held cleaned up nicely, but the chairs were so high, it made it hard to chat with people behind you or to walk around and socialize.

Until this hotel is renovated a bit more, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am not someone who typically writes negative reviews (you can see other reviews I have written), but this specific hotel really freaked me out. There were positives as well. Obviously, I will explain in detail. I was visiting for my sister's graduation from the University of Illinois and stayed with my family. I was excited to return because we had stayed there when it was Jumors for a wedding a LONG time ago.

The lobby and entrance is redone wonderfully. There are marble floors and all of the older decor has been preserved. The Alumni Tap (the bar) has been redone as well and looks very nice. The hotel used to have a restaurant in the library and it is not reopened, but you can go in there- they have everything open with the tables and chairs. Since it was 3 hour waits at the restaurants during graduation, my family ordered out food and ate it in there, which was very nice and a big positive of this hotel. They have lots of space on the first floor and allow you to use it.

The problem starts when you hit the elevators. The walls are fabric and have not been changed, they are stained and smell very bad. One elevator runs slower than the other.

The rooms overall are fine, especially if you are on a budget, because they run about 120 dollars cheaper a night. The beds are new and comfortable, which is great. There is also a mini fridge in the dresser which is really nice to have. My main concern is how unclean our room was. The cleaning staff definitely did not do their job- when I entered the room I noticed popcorn on the floor and a piece of gum on the wall, but did not think too much of it. Then I walked next to the bed and noticed I had kicked something. Upon looking under the bed I found half-drank bottles. I wasn't thrilled to find garbage under my bed. Later, when getting into bed, I noticed something lumpy. Upon lifting the covers, I found very DIRTY socks in my bed, which means my sheets were NEVER CHANGED. We had to go downstairs and get new sheets for the bed. At this point, I was very grossed out.

On another note, the beds are lower, which makes them much easier to get in and out of for people who are handicapped. Also, there is free wifi.

If you stay here, BRING EARPLUGS or ask for rooms that do NOT face the parking structure. There are two major sleep interruptions- the first being that the bells in city hall ring on the hour, EVERY HOUR. Secondly, the buses for the town sit outside the parking garage running all night and park there for about fifteen minutes at a time.

If you love historic things, you will enjoy this place. If you like things more modern, you will not enjoy the old wallpaper with a musty smell or the minor renovations done to the bathrooms. This hotel could be improved dramatically if it were cleaned properly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank chicagotraveler1189
Reviewed April 21, 2013

After reading many reviews about this hotel and failing to reserve a room for mom's weekend elsewhere, I called the Landmark the NIGHT BEFORE Mom's weekend and got a room! I should have known better. Plenty of parking upon arrival. We walked in to beautiful floors with very old pictures and furniture decorating the lobby. One side room with red velvet couches and an old piano looked like something out of the Addams Family show. The armored suit in the lobby was strange but fun to pose with. So we checked in and took the elevator suggested by the manager because it worked better...Hmm!

The elevator and hallway leading to the room were VERY creepy! If that wasn't bad enough,
the room was incredibly creepy. Everything had a musty odor to it and the furniture was ancient. Think Addams Family meets the Munsters and that's what our room looked like. We tried to turn on the only renovated thing in our room, the Flat screen TV and lo and behold, it didn't work! Then we tried to turn on the heater and you guessed it, it didn't work either! So I went down to the lobby to talk to the manager, but the only person at the front desk was the BARTENDER! She said she was COVERING for the manager and would let him know as soon as he returned. I went back up to my room and we went to dinner. Upon returning an hour later, the BARTENDER was still behind the counter and no manager in sight. Again I spoke to her and she said she would talk to the manager upon his arrival. We went back up to our room and tried to enjoy our cold, quiet, and extremely creepy room! I decided to freshen up in the strange bathroom, but the water would not warm up. Now I was upset! I returned to
the Lobby and requested that the bartender call the manager. 3 hours have passed. No one can help us...REALLY?? Upon the managers arrival, I requested my money back and ran out of that hotel. Later that night, I met another lady staying at the same hotel. I asked her how her room was and surprisingly she too said her room was very creepy and had NO Heat, but she had nowhere else to stay. I think warnings should be given to all guests. NOTHING BUT THE TV AND PARTS OF THE LOBBY HAVE BEEN RENOVATED AT THIS HOTEL! IT'S DARK AND CREEPY! STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family