“Good Food, Excellent Value”

Urbana Garden Family Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 102 Restaurants in Urbana
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Home cooked meals with large portions. Service is very attentive and friendly. A wide menu sure to please any number of tastes in your party. Daily specials vary and provide additional choices.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The title pretty much says it all. Very popular local eatery directly across the street from my hotel; there was a long line at the hostess' station when I Ieft. Prices are very reasonable and the service is friendly and personable. I had the roast pork dinner, which came with soup or salad, dressing and choice of potato, also rolls and butter. The salad was a trip to their salad bar, and having seen the sparse offerings, I opted for the chicken and dumpling soup. The broth was thick and flavorful and the dumplings, which were the German type (spaetzle), were soft and light. The pork, unfortunately, was overcooked and dry; it reminded me of my mother's pork, well-done in order to avoid trichinosis. It wasn't until she brought me my plate that I realized that there wasn't a single green or orange thing on it. She forgot the rolls, but I didn't remind her, as the dressing and potatoes provided more than adequate carbs. Half the meal left me uncomfortably full. I ordered the "strawberry shortcake" to go, only to discover that it was a yellow cake with strawberries between the layers, not shortcake. Still very tasty. They serve breakfast all day and do take-out; you can call ahead and it will be ready when you arrive.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Loads on the menu, not sure why this place is not rated higher. I got the rib special for $10.95 (1/2 slab BBQ ribs, trip to the salad bar and mashed potato). Service is great and the place is always busy, rarely have to wait for a table.

Watch for news gazette deals or cisaves deals if you are a local to get half off coupons.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Urbana Garden Family Restaurant was directly across the street from our disgusting hotel. This restaurant went through a complete remodel since we went to it in 2012. Nice clean place, friendly staff (almost all is family), the food was wonderful and plenty!!
We enjoyed how nice everyone was and treated you like you belonged.
The only downside to our visit was that I asked NOT to be seated near ANY children. We just got our food when the hostess sat 2 screaming kids right behind us. Our waitress saw that I was very unhappy about something and came over to ask about my issue. I told her (loudly over the screaming) that I requested no kids area then they were sat next to me. She personally asked the RUDE parents to please quiet their children or they would have to leave.
I would eat here again and loved the food!!

1  Thank N2Travel1
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Visit here every 3 months. It is a line cook type of cooking. No chef here. Reliable "greek type" diner. Salad bar fresh every time. Fried chicken is good with breading not to heavy. Gyro plate is large portion tasty meat but Taziki sauce good but a little different. Chicken fried steak has yellow gravy and lacks creaminess of a true bechamel sauce. Good value. Service good but sometimes spotty. Remodeled last year but new carpets already showing wear and dirt. Good value for diner food. Portion good. Value good. Not gourmet. But solid.