“Love it”
Review of Spurlock Museum

Spurlock Museum
Ranked #7 of 33 things to do in Urbana
More attraction details
Owner description: The Spurlock Museum’s five feature galleries house exhibits representing peoples of the following cultures and geographic areas of the world: Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, and Africa; Ancient Greece and Rome; East Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania; Europe; and American Indian Cultures of North and South America.Special exhibits, based in the Campbell Gallery, serve as a springboard for unique programs, tours, and special events.Through our collections and educational programs, we help interpret the diversity of cultures through time and across the globe.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We took my in laws there. I thought we'd get through it in about an hour and a half. I was wrong. They were closing and I wish we could have stayed a lot longer.

They have some really great exhibits. My favorite is the Africa one. They even have a mummy.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon. It's a $3 suggested donation. Can't beat that!

Kim S, Assistant Director of Education at Spurlock Museum, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. Let me know if you would like to be on our mailing list and hear about upcoming exhibits, programs, and special events.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

took my office staff for a team building outing - really nice place. look out for their crack barny five staff.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This small museum has much to offer, including a thoughtful reminder of how important a museum like this can be. It has a superb collection of plaster casts of the great works of Greek, Roman, and Egyptian art--and for those who are inclined to snub plaster casts, , as I once was, there is an irrefutable counterargument expressed by the plaster casts of the Parthenon frieze. The originals, the so-called Elgin Marbles, are in the British Museum, but these have deteriorated since the casts were made, so the casts give viewers a more complete array of what the frieze looked like. The museum makes it possible to see actual-size precise reproductions of magnificent sculptures in central Illinois. The original works are no less impressive, including fragments of a papyrus New Testament, and a spectacular collection of South American native art.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great museum for educators, kids, and culture enthusiasts. It is wonderfully organized by area and theme and does a great job pointing to both cultural similarities and difference across time and place. Solid.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Excellent small museum on the University of Illinois campus. Has great revolving exhibits. It has a mummy where CAT scans and research has been done on it.