“Sorry” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Urbana Champaign

Knights Inn Urbana Champaign
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Urbana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Champaign, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The last time I was at this hotel, my son stepped in some broken glass in the upstairs hallway. When asked to clean up the glass, the desk clerk informed my son that someone would clean it in the morning. Outraged,I called down to the front desk & got told his boss, Khalid Hussein, informed all of his employees NOT to leave the front for any reason! Upon asking for his name, to try & report him, he then lied to me,telling me his name was JACOB & told me to leave the hotel for being so upset!!!
I understand it was a Friday night.......& homecoming, but there's NO reason he could not get off of his laptop to ensure safety, but there are TONS of reasons I'm not going to be staying at that hotel!

Room Tip: You want to stay in the southeast end, of the hotel.....it is the quietest end of the building since...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank jacob j
Bolingbrook, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

DO NOT stay here. We went for my son's soccer team tournament and the entire team stayed here. The moment I walked into the lobby, the SMELL hit me. Cross between Bad Body Odor or cat urine is how I would describe it. Our room was on the 2nd floor and smelled worse. They used a chemical to try to "cover" the smell which made it worse. We slept with our window open. Our room still had socks by the bed, left by the previous occupants and the bathroom was not entirely scrubbed down. The hairdryer was broken as well. We left to play in the tournament and when it was time to come back, I dreaded it. I did not want to face the smell again. The same staff memeber (as noted in other reviews) was not helpful at all and was hard to understand. 1/2 of the team got nauesous after swimming in the pool which had too much chlorine. :( NEVER going back!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kathy d
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

It was a football weekend and this was the only hotel left within 30 miles. It wasn't terrible, but If you can, stay somewhere else.
On the plus side:
front desk staff friendly and helpful
location was good, although access street off the freeway was wierd until you got used to it (use your GPS)
pool looked inviting although I didn't use it
On the minus side
Room could have been cleaner, trash not completely empty, toilet needed scrubbing
Beadspread had a large hole in it with stuffing coming out
"Free breakfast" was pitiful
Expensive on football nights

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Robert R
Springfield, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

They obtained my credit card information somehow, without a mailing address or any confirmation, and fraudulently charged my credit card. They sent a two page letter to my credit card company defending their conversion after being notified of their "accidental" charging of my card number that should have been suspicious as it had no address listed but just ANY STREET2 and ANY PROVINCE, IL pursuant to their own admission. I actually have real house and mailing address, and I really cannot imagine the audacity to defend charging a card where you were never given any identifying information. I have reported them to the Illinois State Attorney General Fraud Bureau for insisting on taking my money for a clearly fraudulent transaction they initiated.

I did not stay here as I never reserved a room here. However, based on their conduct I would STAY AWAY.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Springfield_Tiger
Kelseyville, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

They say you get what you pay for -- and after reading many reviews, this place got okay marks for the price -- and we're really hurting right now so we need the lowest price we can get. So when we arrived on a Tuesday evening and asked for two rooms, we thought we might be getting a deal. After all, other hotels in the area were in the coupon guide for $39 and up. The price was $148 for one night for two SMALL rooms. But we were road weary and needed a place to crash for the night so we figured we would give it a shot.

One of our travelers was bitten by a copperhead in Tennessee three days prior, so we asked for a lower floor room near the door. There are maybe 5 cars in the parking lot and 3 or 4 big rigs and all of the first floor rooms are apparently full. So we get two rooms on the second floor. They inform us that we can drive around the back and park next to the door and go right up to the rooms. When we go around to the back, not only does it appear really sketchy but they have a large sign letting us know that damage, vandalism or property loss is not their problem. We laugh about it and go inside -- and feel like we stepped into a sauna. Then we realize there's no elevator -- and Michael (the snakebite victim) has to climb the stairs.

Upon reaching floor 2 of "Hotel Purgatory", we find ourselves in another hallway sauna, with hallway carpet that is stained to the point that I think there may have actually been a murder out there. We notice an air conditioner so we turn it to cool and turn it on and go into our rooms. Ten minutes later we realize we forgot a bag in the car, so we head back out -- and discover that someone has turned the AC off in the hall again. Ugh.

We've now been here for over an hour and our room AC has barely dropped the temperature of either of our rooms. And now we smell cigarette smoke -- in a row of non-smoking rooms. This is building up to be a miserable night.

I haven't experienced the pool or sauna because it just feels "gross" or something, so I can't speak to how it really is. And the "continental breakfast" does NOT look promising. We'll have to see in the morning.

I've stayed at a hundred hotels and this one is among the very worst. The room is clean enough, but it's very small and very overpriced for what it is. If these rooms were $49 or something, I would have expected this -- but when it's the same price as the local 4 star hotels, forget it.

Room Tip: I can't really make a reservation because both of our rooms were mediocre at best. Maybe you co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AskGriff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Sleep Inn Champaign Urbana - University Area
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#13 of 25 in Champaign
4.0 of 5 stars 74 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
Baymont Inn & Suites Champaign

Been to Knights Inn Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!