“Never disappointed with anything I eat here!”

Black Dog Smoke & Ale House
Ranked #1 of 101 Restaurants in Urbana
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed May 9, 2017

It's hard to say what my favorite BBQ is when I eat at Black Dog. This time I had the pulled pork and my husband had a 1/2 chicken. Both were equally delicious! The sides are innovative and flavorful. I think the potato salad has to be my favorite side. The service is very good, too. You can expect a wait--it's not very large and there's always a line.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Psyprof51
Write a reviewReviews (617)

Reviewed April 29, 2017 via mobile

We are from out of town and this is where the locals go for a reason! The food is excellent. We both had the Saturday special, spicy bacon wrapped meatloaf sandwich with chipotle cole slaw. It was a large portion, most and very flavorful. Burnt ends were also excellent. The place is busy but worth a little wait. Food prep is all in an open atmosphere and friendly staff as well.

Reviewed April 26, 2017 via mobile

Tried the burnt ends, smoked Amish turkey and pulled pork. Very tender! Tried the mild Georgia Peach sauce (yummy), Texas sauce (DH liked), Lexington Dip (kinda thin) but tasty, Carolina Vinegar (ditto) and Milo's Mustard sauce which was too hot for me but DH liked. We both had the Twice Baked Potato Casserole (OMG YUM) and Pit Beans. Got there early b/4 the crowd. By the time we left around 5:30pm the place was filling up!

Reviewed April 25, 2017

is offered when it is 'supposed to be', on Mondays of course. And, they are as tasty as any one finds in New Orleans.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed April 19, 2017 via mobile

Had a pork rib sandwich with fries and a locally brewed IPA on tap. Good stuff! Would go back in a heartbeat if I ever return to Urbana. Fast and friendly service too.