“Yum” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Dog Smoke & Ale House

Black Dog Smoke & Ale House
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Urbana
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Worth the wait. Sat at the bar and could see all the meals going out. Everything looked good. Bar atmosphere. Will definitely recommend to others.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Champaign, Illinois
“decent food....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I had heard the hype that this was THE place to get BBQ in C-U. I was very disappointed. The food wasn't bad, just not the jaw-dropping treat that I was expecting. I ordered the 3 meat combo with brisket, ribs and burnt ends. The burnt ends were good, but not spectacular. The brisket was a little rubbery but okay. The ribs were not my favorite. I didn't care for the rub used on them. This is personal taste of course. I tried two sauces, the Carolina Red which I didn't care for at all...and the Chipotle which was okay. The sides I had were both pretty good....southwestern potato salad and pit beans. Overall, I have to say that I won't be returning here....there are better choices for bbq in Champaign.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, Illinois
“nothing shy of excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place is a must visit if in the area. The burnt ends sandwich is spectacular and combined with one of their many wonderful beers makes for a memorable experience. You will know that this place is a local legend by the people that stop by - everyone from blue collar workers to business elite - speaks volumes. The possible criticism is that the place in somewhat small and the line can be long if you show up at the wrong time.

• Visited December 2012
Urbana, Illinois, United States
“Great food, great beer, great setting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Being named Urbana's best anything is faint praise, so clearly we'll have to come up with a better title for this restaurant, which is loud, fun, delicious and crowded with hungry rib-lovers and beer-drinkers.

Visited January 2012
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I went there with some co-workers at the end of the day. The place is small, but cosy, there was a waiting list which I saw as a good sign for "good food." We went up to the bar to order drinks while we wait, their tab beers were all micro brews, which upped my appreciation of the place. I ordered Left Hand Milk Stout. (Yum!) When we got seated, I saw they had burnt ends on their menu, that pleasantly surprised me, since I only see burnt ends in BBQ in Kansas City. Unfortunately, they just ran out :-(. Plan B was brisket with sweet potato fries. I loved them both. I do recommend this restaurant, it is worth the wait.

• Visited October 2012