“Won't go again” 2 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Sunny China Buffet
Ranked #48 of 97 Restaurants in Urbana
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Champaign, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Won't go again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I used to love this place. The food is good, but I will never go there again. The staff has never been real friendly and one lady who I think is the owner I've seen be rude to people before. I've gone there for 6 or 7 years with family and friends and also got take out. Well tonight I went to get the take out and we like the special house shrimp. So my son and I had two take out boxes and I was getting the shrimp first. There wasn't a lot left so I thought I'd just take the rest so they could then put out fresh. It filled about half of one of the boxes. I didn't think that was that bad considering three people would be sharing it. The cook saw me dishing it into the box and said something to the lady there and she started telling me I couldn't take that much shrimp and pointing toward the front door. I didn't understand what she was trying to tell me and said no one had told me before what I could and couldn't get. She said she could give me my money back. I asked her what she was talking about and she pointed toward the front door again. I walked over there and there was a sign that said to keep prices down you could only take 1/4 of a box of shrimp. I told her my son had a box too and that what we had was 1/4 of the two boxes but she just kept at me that I couldnt' have that much. So said OK I'll put half in his box. Not only was this irritating but embarrasing to have her saying this while trying to get food. I also had two styrofoam cups that they don't ever give you, you have to ask for them. Another customer told me once to ask for them. So I have since then and I've put the desserts in them so they don't get sauce on them. Well I had put a little rice in the bottom of one and then put one of those little cakes in it. Then the same lady came over and said the cup was only for soup and something else and that I couldn't have the cake. When paying for the take out and asking for the cup no one ever said it was just for soup. At that point I just put the cup down and said, "Take it, I'm not every coming here again" and then left. I would have paid the same price if I was dining in and would have had more than the little box. I refuse to go someplace where someone is going to watch me and tell me what I can and cannot take, not to mention it was embarassing. I didn't care how much I had paid, that wasn't the point, I would have paid more to be able to have what I wanted. I'll just go to Itchiban next to Schnucks on Mattis in Champaign from now on. They have better coconut shrimp and great sushi. They charge by the ounce and let you have what you want and don't stand there watching you dish up your food.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kay J

Houston, TX
“Did not match the previous reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Ok, normally I like restaurants rated well by Trip Advisor, but not this time. The food had been sitting on the stream table for a long time. The food not very warm. I'm not sure if it was at a proper temperature. The eggrolls were frozen, certainly not home made. The shrimp dishes were overdone, perhaps due to sitting out for so long. Very rubbery texture. I mentioned that the food was not warm enough. A member of the staff took the food away from the steam table and it came back hot, not freshly cooked, just warmed up. The staff did not seem to care about the food. I've had better pot-stickers from the grocery store. The sauces were still in the plastic packets. Nothing seemed fresh, nothing seemed like it was cooked on the premises.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Urbana, Illinois
“Best restaurant in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

Great services, friendly stafff, clean place, cheap price, two huge TV and i been there for over 4 years now. I am 54 years old, and it is the best asian food i've ever taste.

Urbana, Illinois
“Our favorite Chinese restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

Delicious food, reasonably priced, family owned & operated. This is our favorite chinese buffet.good, friendly service.