“check it out”

South Union Roadhouse
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Takeout
Description: South Union Roadhouse, located in Union, IL, right next to Donley's Wild West Town features fresh entrees that the entire family can enjoy. Whether it's just on your lunch break, dinner for a special occasion, or drinks with friends, you will find it at South Union Roadhouse. With a fresh menu and an interior straight out of the Wild West, what is not to like?
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Fantastic food , our party on 2 separate days had everything from steak, to fish to burgers. Not one complaint about the food or prices. One small hitch was the wait staff seemed a bit inexperienced and for that it didn't get a 10 out of 10.. Also it was a tad cold for my elderly parents and we heard another family complain about the cold. I was fine and am sorry we don't live close enough to eat there more often!

1  Thank lauraflanni

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We ate lunch here and enjoyed the food. Watermelon slices are a side option, which made everyone happy. The staff was very nice as well.

1  Thank ShariandFamily
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We have visited Donley's a few times in the past and enjoyed it, but the experience we had tonight was so appalling that we left furious and amazed at the unbelievably bad treatment we endured while waiting for a meal that, sadly, never arrived.

My mom, dad, two-year-old son and I stopped by tonight for the fish fry. Things started off great. We were seated right away and our sever immediately took our drink orders and was back in a few to take our food orders as well. After we waited for about a half hour for our food to arrive, the server stopped by and said "hm, I'm not sure what's taking so long. Let me run to the kitchen and find out." 5 minutes later she returned to say our order was "on it's way out". Great. 10 minutes later, she stopped by again to say she wasn't sure what was taking so long but she would run back and check. 5 minutes later she came back to say it was "just about to come out" and gave us some corn bread because we had been waiting so long (I can only assume that because we hadn't gotten bread yet that they were giving us something extra). She didn't bother giving us plates or anything so I ate my corn bread off of my son's kids' menu.

10 minutes later she stopped by to tell us, once again, that our food was "on its way out." This time we questioned her. We pointed out the folks at a nearby table who came in after us and were already being served seconds and thirds on fish. At this point she became short with us and said "Look. I'm annoyed too. There's nothing I can do about it." No apology, just defensiveness.

Another 5 or 10 minutes of waiting and we noticed the server chatting with the manager and pointing to our table. The manager glanced up, said "Ok" and went back to whatever she was doing. 5 or 10 minutes after that she skipped by the table, yelling to us over her shoulder that (wait for it), she was going to go back to the kitchen to see what was up. When she returned, she said, with a smile, "good news, only 2 small tickets in front of you!" At this point we became angry and said that our food should have been out quite some time ago and we shouldn't be behind anyone at this point as people who arrived after us were nearly done eating. She told us we were wrong and walked away.

10 minutes later she once again sprinted by and yelled "It's on its way out" over her shoulder as she passed. At this point we all had some choice words in response and my dad got up and followed her out to the front to confront her and ask her what was going on. She basically reiterated what the server said. The kitchen was backed up (news to all the folks eating around us I'm sure) and there was nothing she could do.

We waited, fuming, for another few minutes until we saw the manager cheerily chatting with some people at another table (who were enjoying their food). By this point the restaurant was beginning to empty out and my son was getting restless. My dad approached the manager again and demanded that someone at least explain what was going on. She snapped "I'll get you some bread" at him and waved him off. When I saw that I approached them and told the manager that we were leaving. Her response? She laughed and said "Ok, Bye!"

It's clear that the only reason this tourist-trap, embarrassing excuse for a restaurant is still in business is because they are the only game in town, not because they care a lick about customers or anything but themselves. We left hungry and disgusted and will never, Never, NEVER set foot in that place again. I can count on one hand (minus thumbs) the number of times in 40 years that I have walked out of a restaurant due to poor service, and those rare occasions don't hold a candle to what we experienced tonight. Do yourself a favor and drive out of town if you want to be treated like more than a piece of meat, and definitely move along if you actually want to eat one

2  Thank Squindy
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am sure that everyone has a different idea of what "quality" food is. But, when we go out and spend $11 on a meal, we expect it to be better than average (and that price was the lowest on the menu for something other than a sandwich or salad). We went for the fish fry, and were disappointed. I got baked fish, which had no flavor, and the consistency seemed to be undercooked. My husband got baked, and then fried, hoping it would be better, but it was worse. The fried fish was very dry and the coating was overcooked. His baked potato had black spots in it and both of our potatoes were very dry. The only vegetable was cole slaw,and they only gave us about 2 Tablespoons worth in a tiny plastic cup. I got a salad, but they offered no low fat or fat free dressing, only oil and vinegar. The only positive things I can say is that the waitress was very friendly (because our friends knew her) and the atmosphere is fun with lots of things to look at. However I don't spend that much money just for atmosphere, I want good food.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We've been in the area about 15 years, and after our first couple of visits the quality seemed to get very lackluster. After a couple of disappointing visits we quit going. Last year we participated in a Cowboy Shooting club dinner, and were extremely pleasantly surprised at how great the food had gotten. Renewed our faith and we started going back occasionally. We went to this dinner again this year, and the quality has been kept high. The service is great and the atmosphere can't be beat - very old west - colorful and nostalgic. I miss the buffets they used to have, but understand the incredible cost and amount of waste that must have been generated as the economy tanked. If you haven't been in a while, like we weren't....give them another chance. The food is really good, and the attractions terrific. Check out their website for specials in food and attractions. They also have week-end events in the banquet room.

1  Thank MaryAnn H