“Loved My Choice to Stay Here...Not far from Arthur Amish”

Holiday Inn Express Tuscola
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tuscola
Southern Wisconsin
“Loved My Choice to Stay Here...Not far from Arthur Amish”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We were taking a weeks trip...Wanted to visit Arthur Illinois and then over to Parke County, Indiana to see the Covered Bridges. This Motel is right on Highway 36 which will take you right there in a hour plus. I had reserved a King Room and requested SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS for a Non/Smoking Room due to severe Asthma.... I also requested a upper floor & AAA Discount. The staff was very kind and accomodating for me. When arriving I did 'review' my special requests and they said YES indeed and if I wasn't happy to call and let them know. The room was very nice, clean and updated. The chair was so nice I wouldn't allow hubby to use the foot rest with his boots on... (keep it clean for the next person). TV channels were just fine and my Kindle Fire HD was up and running on WiFi. I had no problems. It's a bit of a drive to Arthur and Amish Country but I had no problems... just get off at the next exit Off the Interstate and make a big circle for the day. We called Pizza in but there was a Sandwich Shop next door and a Buffet in the Flea Market Building just across the way. There was a shopping center right there as well but I was there for a Visit to Arthur. I have No complaints and did not have any issues with my Severe Asthma. I'll try to load a few photos.. I would definately stay there again and I think you should do the same. BTW there is a Elevator. Sorry I did not test the morning breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tuscola, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
We are so glad you took the time to review our property through Trip Advisor! We stive to do our best to accomidate all guests to meet their special requests and make sure their stay goes well! I'me very please to hear that your stay went so well while you were passing through the area and we look forward to the chance to serve you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Because smoking is allowed in some rooms, you do have a never ending slight smell of smoke, like you just walked out of a smokey bar and the smell lingers. I will bring air freshner next time, the room is very clean otherwise. I stay in hotels at least 4-5 times a year so have an average expectation, if the smoke smell from the air vents were gone, id say this place was excellent. They need to have the vents cleaned and maybe change the filters more often.

• Stayed October 2012
I am very sorry to hear of the smoke smell that you experienced in your room during your stay. We do try to keep the filters and vents as clean aspossible and since your stay we have deep cleaned all vent and filters in the rooms to help rid the rooms of any unpleasant odors. We hope you will give us a try again next time you are in the area.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Every six months I stay here for a week or more. It is the best hotel among the few choices in Tuscola. The desk staff are always friendly and helpful, and housekeeping is very good. I think it is bit over-priced, but the alternatives in town either aren't appealing or consistent. You might check out the chain hotels in Arcola and Savoy. Both are reasonably close to Tuscola, and I have stayed at both locations. It is a clean hotel which is across the street from a very good outlet shopping mall (sorry, fellas, but your wives could drop a bundle there). Don't miss the Candy Kitchen for lunch and treats in downtown Tuscola. It is just like it was in the 1950's. The best thin crust pizza I've ever had in the U.S. is at Monical's on Route 36 in town. The hotel's breakfast is usually very good: eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereals, fat-free or regular milk, muffins, bagles, fruit, fruit juices, yogurt, pancakes, and probably a couple more things I can't remember. It is available until 9:30 which is good for late risers. As anywhere, it can get busy at peak times. There were two girls' soccer teams and their families staying there one day, and breakfast was busy, but watching the kids and their families was very entertaining and amusing. I did catch a tiny whiff of cigarette smoke on the 3rd floor, but nothing in the room or common areas downstairs. I like to stay here for the convenience of being close to where I need to be in Tuscola, but I think I'll check out Savoy and Arcola again next time because of the cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jeremiahred
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I don't like to stay at hotels that allow smoking, but we decided to stay here when visiting family in Pesotum. The location was ok and the breakfast was good. However, I could smell smoke. The breakfast area was small. The rooms seemed clean. The price was steeper then I felt it should've been based on the location and the hotel itself. All in all it served it's purpose.

• Stayed November 2011
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This a clean hotel but there was some kind of end fighting gong on between the staff that if it is not resolved will start to show in the hotel in the long run. Nothing special to eat around so you might want to think about pizza.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank CWG_77
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We did experience a change in Management a week before your stay and unfortantely still had some kinks to work out while you were here. We now have a great new staff and hope you will try our property again next time you are in town!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed July 8, 2012

NIce clean motel, close to shopping, but the breakfast area is so small and crowded. You have kids who don't know what they want, blocking the whole area. So everybody is just standing there waiting for a chance to have some breakfast. If you normally enjoy the Holiday Inn express breakfast, you won't enjoy this one. That is why I give it a poor rating.

Room Tip: Get a room on side away from the highway. less noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Road Warrior
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The title pretty much says it all. Stayed here one night passing through town and had a pretty decent stay. The hotel probably only had 10 guests the night I stayed and was nice and quiet, in fact I never heard a peep from anyone.

The room and hotel in general was very clean. My room was a large suite that had a sink outside the bathroom, which is something I don't care for, however I have read other people like the ability to use the sink when someone is taking a shower....I am not one of those people though, I prefer the privacy of a sink in the bathroom. Water pressure in the sink was poor as well.

The beds are really firm and I didn't sleep all that well due to that and the loud AC going on and off all night.

Room also had a smaller flat screen tv with an average selection of channels. Wireless Internet worked well and was pretty quick.

Location is just across the way, within walking distance, to a large factory outlet mall and Amishland. Not a lot of eating options close by, however, next door to the hotel is a place called "The Pantry" that serves some pretty tasty sandwiches.

All in all this is a very solid hotel, what you would expect from a typical HIE, I'll call it 3.25 stars as the lousy bed knocked it down a bit for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuscola
Baymont Inn & Suites Tuscola
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#15 of 25 in Champaign
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tuscola? Share your experiences!