“Amazing Day Out!”
Review of Cranmore Tower

Cranmore Tower
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I last visited Cranmore Tower about 20 years ago, but a friend told me they now have a tea rooms, so I thought I would check it out. I'm so glad I did! I went with some friends thinking we could have a little walk in the woods and a cup of tea. Well, it turned into a whole day out, and a really good one as well.
Since I last visited, the Tower has had new stairs installed and for a small fee you can go up to the top, it was really rickety when I last visited. Now it is great, the views are amazing. I was told you can see 7 counties from the top, maybe on a perfectly clear day? You can definitely see for many miles in all directions.
The owners, who have been here for ever - well at least 20 or 30 years - have done the whole place up. There are bunkhouses where big parties can stay, I hear they have catered for 90 people on one occasion! The main attraction for me was the tea rooms, so we had to try it out. They have a choice of different teas and coffee, and the most delicious home made cakes, all served in a lovely room with views over the woods. We saw a deer through the window, he was happily grazing and didn't seem to notice us at all.
Then we thought we'd go for a walk, well the owners have thought of that too. They have researched some circular walks of varying lengths that you can do from the Tower, so we thought we'd try one of these. It was fabulous, paths lined with bluebells, wild garlic and loads of other wild flowers that I can't name! Views as far as The White Horse at Westbury. Anyway when we got back we'd worked up an appetite, so we went back in the tea rooms. They serve light lunches as well as teas. There was a choice of four different soups and quiche, all home made. We tried the stilton and broccoli; and the mushroom soups; they came with lovely hot bread rolls and butter, and a huge bowl of soup. We ate this in front of a lovely roaring woodburner stove, a perfect end to a perfect day!
We will definitely be visiting again. In case any of you want to try it for yourselves - you won't be disappointed - they have a website....

1  Thank Marigold50
in 4 reviews
"westbury"
"somerset"

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely spot for tea! the tower tea room is just a short walk from the path and well worth it. the cakes are amazing and the host are welcoming to,the log fire was lovely to warm you up after a walk in the woods, can't wait to go back and try lunch