“go elsewhere”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Troy
A TripAdvisor Member
“go elsewhere”
Reviewed April 12, 2006

After visiting this motel several times when it was the Ramada, I was excited that it was bought by the Holiday Inn chain. We are priority club members. We booked the kids suite. I will not return. They had soccer teams there and the parents are to blame. The kids ran rampant, the parents were drinking beer out of coolers in the main room next to the pool. The pool was dirty, then once the rampant soccer kids were all in it and running all over the entryway, hall ways, you name it, it only got worse. My kids couldn't swim. The parents were as loud as their kids, the staff ignored them since they were paying customers. I guess my money isn't anything. After a full night of the other kids thumping up and down the hallway,making as much noise as they could, and racing each other I was surprised my kids got up early since we all had a hard time sleeping. They wanted to go swimming. The pool was horrible. I wouldn't let them. Thank goodness we had a whirlpool tub in our room. They played in that. NOW the best of all, we got bit by bugs. The boys were scratching...I did but thought maybe I had an allergy from something. No, the Dr. said it was bites from insects and suggested it must have been bedbugs. I called the manager and she said she had tons of people to call and apologize for the way the other "guests" were so we weren't the only ones. She was going to spray our room and offered about 1/8th our money back. This isn't the way to do business. This isn't the way holiday inn should be. We won't be going back.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Osage City, Kansas
Reviewed August 8, 2005

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express, located in Troy, IL for four nights. It is located approximately 20 miles from downtown St. Loius. The hotel is located right off of exit 18, on I-55 in Troy, IL. There are a few truck stops and places to eat in the area. The hotel was a Ramada Inn a few years ago.

The hotel is in a convenient location to reach downtown St. Louis. It was clean and in decent shape. Our room was clean. We stayed in what they called a Kidsuite. It had two queen beds, a TV, a microwave, small refridgerator, sink and coffee maker in the room. Since the room was located at the end of the hall, the area that protruded over the stairwell was made into a small room with a bunkbed, small TV and lights. The sheets on the bunkbeds were of a cartoon charater. That was the extent that the suite had anything to do with kids.

The bathroom had a whirlpool tub wich was very large for one person. Problem was the water pressure was not that great and it took over 30 minutes to fill the tub. The bathroom contained a very small bottle of shampoo and conditioner, and one small bar of soap. A big complaint of mine was in a room that could sleep six people, there were only two towels. I asked the housekeepers three times to leave more towels, but they never did. I finally went to the cart in the hall and took some extra towels. The room was missing a light bulb from one of the lights over one of the queen beds. Again, I asked housekeeping three times to bring a bulb for the light. After two days, I went to the front desk and was given a lightbulb. I had to wait while the person at the desk chatted for a few minutes on the phone, on a personal call. When I asked why housekeeping did not bring a light bulb or more towels, I was told that the housekeepers did not speak english.

On day two of our stay, housekeeping showed up a bit early. I asked them to give me a towel and come back later to clean the room. Told them we would be leaving in about one hour. When we returned late that night, the room had not been cleaned.

On day three, we left early, and returned around 1:30 PM. Our room was not cleaned yet. I went to the front desk. Told them about the day before the room not being cleaned, and their excuse was the housekeepers did not speak english, and did not understand I wanted them to return to clean the room later. As for this day, they said they had until 3 PM to clean the room. They did not offer to contact housekeeping to expidite the cleaning of our room. We waited in the lobby for over an hour. We again asked the front desk when our room was going to be cleaned. Someone did decide to ask housekeeping when our room would be cleaned. We were told since it was a larger room, it was being done last. We decided to go back to the room. At about 3:10 PM housekeeping came by. Since we were going out at 5PM for a late night and wanted to nap before leaving, we asked them to just clean the bathroom and empty the trashcans. They left three bath towels this time, even though they could see four people in the room. I went down to the desk later to inquire why we again had only three towels left, when I kept asking for four. Again, I was told that the housekeepers did not speak english. I am not against hiring non-english speaking people. However, when it affects the quality and service of your business, you should address the issues. When I asked if the manager was in, I was told no. I asked if the owner was in, I was told yes, but they could not find the owner. They did not ask if they could leave the owner a message, or did I wan t the owner to contact me. Again, I might mention, the front desk person was on a personal phone call when I went to the desk.

The pool area was so-so. It has a small indoor pool, which had what looked like a huge ball of chewing gum on the bottom of the pool. There were no dry towels for the pool, even though no one was in the pool at the two times we were there. The whirlpool was big enough for about five people. Problem was, I saw several times people with very young kids, (in diapers) in the whirlpool, with the young children. This is not snaitary and I think the hotel should restrict the age for enterance in the whirlpool.

The free continental breakfast was OK. It had cereal, juice, waffles, bread, juice, milk, tea, coffee, pastries and a toaster. On Sat. they added bagels.

For the price $94. and $113. night on weekend, I would not return. The room was a disappointment. When I made my reservation, on the internet, I asked in the reservation form if they could email me a description of the room. Never did get a reply. We also had a problem with our room keys on Sat. night and had to go back to the desk to have them reset. I know what happened, but will not go into details, only to say that it was another breakdown in their customer service area. The customer service was very poor. No apologies, no offer for solutions, just oh well, the housekeepers can't speak english and the manager is not here and we can not find the owner. No effort at all was taken to help resolve any problem.

I doubt that I will ever stay at this hotel again. Not a good value for the price, in my opinion.

4 Thank Randy244

Travelers are raving about these Troy hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Red Roof Inn Troy
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edwardsville
Drury Inn St Louis Collinsville
Drury Inn St Louis Collinsville
#2 of 11 in Collinsville

Been to Best Western Troy Hotel? Share your experiences!