“Just don't bring the kids”

Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Tinley Park
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Since they promptly deleted my review off of their own website, I decided to write one here.... We took the kids to see the "One Direction" concert at the venue out there and decided to rent a room for a couple of nights. It has a full bar that gets rather crowded, suburban type late 20's-40's crowd. There was a wedding party hanging in the lobby our last night when we arrived back from the show, and the groom (I think it was the groom) was drunk and obnoxious. He was cursing and yelling out what the band (that the kids just saw) could do to one of his body parts. Earlier that morning, I got chewed out by a housekeeper for attempting to grab 4 towels off the cart, she reminded me of the school master on the movie "Matilda" lol. I had asked just asked her co-worker who approved, so as I bent down to grab the towels, one of the doors flew open... apparently this one was in charge and she had "17 rooms to go". I asked If I could take the towels she would be putting in our room anyway, and she told me under no uncertain terms, no. Your only coffee option is in their restaurant, $3.05 per Styrofoam cup. The same size as a grande in a nice paper cup & sleeve at Starbucks for $2.05. Problem is nothing is close by, so if you want a cup of coffee before you are fully functional, you have no choice. Really, just a decent clean hotel, with bar and pool, but you can get a decent clean hotel with a free styrofoam cup of coffee AND a free doughnut for a lot less than what you pay here. The pool is nice and the staff at the front desk are very friendly and helpful, I give them a 5 star up until the wedding party incident when they were too polite to shut the guy up.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank s r
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I was surprised to find that the review was gone as well when I went to respond on our website--the hotel has no abililty to delete them. You can see that I do in fact respond to ALL reviews--good and bad. Given that, I'm responding to yours right now! I am sorry that you experienced problems during your stay. I've referred your comments about housekeeping to that department head--I assure you it will be addressed. I cannot begin to justify the behavior in the bar, but hope that security handled it accordingly. Regarding the coffee--one of the friendly people at the front desk could have gotten you one to start your day. We are here to serve you!

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Other than this hotel being in a fairly good location for the area, it was a pretty average Holiday Inn. After checking in for business for a few days, I was surprised to find not a single hanger in my room. Since it was late, I draped all my clothes over chairs, second bed, hooks, etc. I left early the next day, assuming that when the cleaning staff did the room, they would see my problem and there would be hangers when I returned. Not at all. I had to ask for hangers and someone brought me 2, assuming I needed extras. I had to explain that there were no hangers before getting a few more.
Breakfast in the restaurant was ok, typical over priced hotel food. Best to go to the local Burger King or Eggs place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for the positive things you said. Our Housekeeping Manager is aware of the issue with the hangers and has already addressed it with her staff and inspectors--my apologies for the inconvenience.

Please come see us again!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I realize that during a concert is a very busy time and there will be some wait but the handling of this weekend we stayed at this hotel was so badly managed with rude staff..I am just so disappointed. This concert in town had been sold out for a year...A YEAR..yet they acted like it was some new concept and they were unprepared. I had booked our room over 4 months ago nonline. I arrived right at checkin time to a lobby full of guests...waited in line to find I had to wait on waiting list because housekeeping did not have rooms ready...what?? No extra staff with a sold out concert two miles away? We waited an hour only to stand in line again after seeing people who just arrived getting into their rooms while we were still waiting...shouldn't those waiting go first?? Finally at the desk I find we are getting a king suite...what?? There are four of us...I booked it online as Standard room for 4 guests...I was rudely told they don't see number of guests from online bookings and a standard booking is any room they have available..so Jotting they could do...I even had my confirmation showing 4 guests right on it...I was told next time. I should book by phone directly...hello holiday inn...its 21st century...everything is done online and in all my travels I have never had a problem before...just poorly managed. They then told everyone there would be a line of taxis out front for concert goers...they wouldn't place a call for any of us to book a taxi...but there was no line of taxis...one every 15 minutes until rude staff member came out to us over 40 people still waiting and concert in half hour that we should walk...well thanks for telling us now that your line of taxis was bull..so badly managed. Our room was clean and the girls at the Bananas bar and grille made us smile...they were great but it will be my last experience with holiday inn...I usually choose other hotels but I chose this one for this event because it was do close to the venue...they really need to reevaluate their staffing and manners for big events and learn online booking

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rose404
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

I'm sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Regarding your roomtype: a "standard" room, as defined online, is that you are guaranteed a room, but it may be smoking or non, king or two doubles. We were sold out of doubles. It's not that we cannot accommodate online booking, but that a double was not booked and guaranteed. I apologize for the cab situation--there was a traffic fatality at our exit that had all vehicles stopped or rerouted, so cabs could not get through. Yes, they normally are ready at your disposal during concert events. The front desk did try calling mutlitple cab companies with the same answer. The folks that checked in prior to you may have had a roomtype that was in fact ready, or perhaps had called to be on the waitlist for early check-in. We really did try to accommodate everyone the best we could--I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed for a convention . Attached to South Suburban convention center which is fairly new. Rooms were large and clean, The attached bar and grill is good. Better bar than grill. Large breakfast buffet with healthy options.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jon L
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for the positive review! Hearing the "good stuff" really makes our day!

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Welcomed by an efficient staff member...very quick and easy. As a priority member - received the option of points, cookies/milk or $5 off for dinner at their Restaurant, Bananas. Sure beats the usual bottle of water. Nice bathroom with a walk-in shower. Amenities included refrig/microwave, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, make up remover, soaps, hair dryer, coffee/tea maker. A note encourages reuse of towels and/or linens. Good idea. Bananas was very open and had a huge bar with the obligatory big screen TVs-OK for hockey playoffs. Dinner was excellent! Turkey burger with fresh crisp veggies and a black bean salad. Service was very good and friendly (Christina). Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Semomu

We appreciate the positive feedback! Sounds like you covered everything! I'll make sure that your comments get forwarded to Christina and to the rest of the staff!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Tinley Park hotel and convention center, one night in a regular room and one night in a suite. This was a business trip. This hotel is south west of Chicago, just off I80.

Across the street is a Culvers restaurant and at the corner is a gas station and convenience store.

I arrived early in the afternoon to find the front desk staff friendly and welcoming and my room ready. This hotel is not new however the hotel and property are clean and reasonably well kept.
Attached to the hotel is a convention center. I was here for an event at this convention center.
Staying at the onside hotel, attached to the convention center via a corridor, was convenient for me.

Also attached to the hotel is Bananas Grill and Bar. This is a restaurant with a full bar. I did have an all-appetizer dinner and beverages here one evening with a group of associates. The restaurant was busy but the wait staff did a good job keeping us hydrated and fed.

The hotel also has a pool, hot tub and two exercise rooms, one with a weight machine and the other with cardio equipment plus a steam room. All looked to be clean and well kept.

My standard room was a nice size, and of course the suite was larger plus had a walk in shower.

The satisfying surprise was the friendliness and cooperative nature of the staff at the convention center. I was there early to set up and stayed late to take down for our event. The staff helped get items as needed to make our event a success.

The hotel has password protected free WiFi and the convention center had open free WiFi.

The parking lot was well lit. I went for a walk in the morning and felt safe.

When I need a room again in the Tinley Park area I will stay here again.

Did you find this review helpful? If so please click on the “YES” below.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelVlogger
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us a positive review! Hope to see you here in the future.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My last stay here, Aug. 2011, was not a very good one......
TODAY.... May 2013 is not the greatest experience either.
As a traveler....who frequents Holiday Inns... three to five times a week... I have to say, this hotel is ridiculous.
We have several staff members who check in... at all hotels... usually at same time... with NO ISSUES.
This hotel... is so "TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED" its really pathetic. They almost act like you're going to "steal" a room or something... They are friendly, but it's not a genuine friendliness... it's FAKE... DISTANT... REHEARSED.
Loud Hallways... loud door slams throughout the day.
If you order extra soap. or some other items... plan on a WAIT... I had to go find a housekeeping lady to get some shampoo... I called front desk... NEVER SHOWED UP... thirty minutes later... I went and found a housekeeper who gave me some.
For a HOLIDAY INN>>>>> It NEEDS AN OVERHAUL.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Chrome1007
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

I'm very sorry you did not enjoy your stay.