“What a lovely little find.. lovely rural location”
Review of Dinton Hermit

Dinton Hermit
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ford
Dinton Hermit
Ranked #1 of 1 Ford B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you're looking for a rural country location this place should be considered. Our bedroom was overlooking unspoilt gorgeous opens fields. The pub was cosy we had a wonderful seat right in front of the large open, inglenook fireplace. The food to be honest was fabulous! Yes, if you are after huge, overwhelming portions this place is not for you. We found the portion size to be perfect for us & the taste was fantastic - it was the best red snapper I have had for a very long time. Our en-suite was compact but perfectly formed with a lovely warm towel radiator & the power shower was excellent!! The staff were all very friendly. Our bedroom was perhaps a little tired but it certainly looked like the bathroom has had a recent refurbish. Really hard to fault & we definitely plan to visit again in the summer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had been looking forward to the meal, but we were put in a the small cramped noisy room next to a hot radiator, so we asked to be moved. Menu is limited, only 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 sweets - no specials. Starters were very small portions. The wine bottle was not opened for us to taste, we also had to open the water bottle ourselves. Main course - again small portions and one ingredient was missing from one of them! Asked for black pepper and a pepper mill was put on the table containing white pepper and which was all clogged up. We decided against a sweet as these were tiny as well. Was still hungry when I left, and had to have cheese and biscuits when I got home. It was a dreadful waste of money and have already recommended to friends who were going to go, not to bother.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DaveB614
Reviewed March 15, 2013

When I travel I like to find interesting and nice local hotels instead of big, impersonal chains. This is absolutely one of the former not the later. I've stayed here multiple times and tried out 3 different rooms, they are all charming and unique. The restaurant - bar has excellent food and because the Dinton is small the staff gets to know your likes and dislikes pretty quickly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I bought this KGB deal sometime ago and should have been staying with my husband, but as he had died in January I brought my daughter instead. We had to share a bed as the hotel has no twins.
We stayed for two nights in bedroom 5 which was beautiful and clean and had a view out over the fields, the ensuite shower room was more than adequate and the shower was as good as any I have used before. The staff were more than helpful and very friendly,the young waitress who was serving on her own worked extremely hard to keep everyone happy, the food was excellent.
Breakfast a particular triumph, smoked haddock with very tasty poached eggs done to perfection.

I would gladly stay again and so would my daughter we had a lovely time. Thank you.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have just returned from an overnight stay at the Dinton Hermit. It is a picturesque building down a little lane in Buckinghamshire. The building appears to be ancient and in the bar the beams and roaring open fire plus a good supply of daily papers give it a cosy feel. There's plenty of car parking and guests have a choice of staying in a room in the pub or in the annexe outside ( a converted barn).
We checked in early afternoon and ascended the steep stairs ( not suitable for those who have access difficulties) and attempted to get into our room. We eventually managed only to find some-one sleeping in the bed amidst their belongings!
Back to the bar for another room. This time no-one in or under the bed but as is the way with medieval houses it was as dark as night. Yes, there were lamps but none bright enough to be able to see to do makeup. Off to the bathroom I went but unfortunately two of the lights in here were malfunctioning so again couldn't see.
The room posessed a 4 poster bed, a selection of coathangers on a rail, a dressing table and a small table with complimentary bottled water and tea making facilities.
Now here's the rub: I noticed that many other people who have stayed here have used various vouchers and obviously not paid the full whack. We did not have a voucher and so paid £99 for a characterful room, with bathroom outside the room ( only just but still not ensuite). In the bathroom 2 lights didn't work, the tap was broken and the loo paper had failedto make it to the holder. In the bedroom lights could only be controlled from the left hand side of the bed so I had to stay awake in order to turn lights off for reading husband. The T.V.is the other side of this spacious room and binoculars might be useful if you want to actually see the scree!
We returned early from our event ( 9p.m.) but not early enough for food. Not even a sandwich could be constructed so we had crisps and pork scratchings. Even theis small request met with disaster as the scratchings were off!The expiry date was September 2012.
Breakfast was good. Cold coffee was soon replaced with hot and toast arrived eventually.
I mentioned the bathroom lights on checkout but there was no interest, no "sorry that must have been inconvenient" just a muttered 'yes'. In fact i don't htink there was any enquiry as to whether we had enjoyed ourselves.
My point is, i will happily pay the amount requested if everything is of a high standard - but it wasn't. Yes I am aware it is an historic building and I have lived in such properties myself. I'm sure that many will enjoy the ambience, the gloom and maybe what could be desctibed as quirky characterisitics BUT I would like lights which work, a tap that doesn't come offf in my hand, toilet paper on the holder and a TV I can see, oh and no rancid scratchings. Surely it's all about attention to detail. The place is beautifully reatored, now set about making sure everything works and that goldilocks finds another cottage to stay in.

Room Tip: Rooms1 and 2 have external bathroom and difficult access for the less mobile - uneven steep stairs...
2  Thank lotsofspots
Reviewed February 18, 2013

A 1 night stay and extremely good value for B&B, although the choice of evening meal was very limited with only a Valentines menu or the a la carte available. The Valentines menu was unappealing and so I asked to eat from the a la carte menu. This was when I was told that KGB clients had only £15.00 allowed for their meals, KGB stated a 3 course dinner. The only way to get a 3 course dinner was to have a starter, a dessert and a coffee!
We ate from the a la carte menu and paid the difference. The steak was wonderfully cooked and tasty but the chips were frozen, why?
The room, no.11, was warm, cosy but needed de-cobwebing.
The shower room was fantastic.
Breakfast was very good and all fresh.
The staff were friendly and very pleasant. A wonderful setting and a lovely weekend.
Oh, I forgot to mention the log fire-it was difficult to tear ourselves away!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just got back from a one night stay at Dinton hermit with some friends where we had a kgb deal voucher. On arrival the staff were very welcoming and friendly. We were given our keys to our rooms which were the outside barn rooms. I must say the room was really nice but had I paid the full price I would say it was overpriced , the bathroom was a wet room so there was no bath or shower enclosure so everything got soaking wet !
The menu at the pub was very limited for KGB clients which I felt a little disappointed with, we decided to have the rump steak ( the only beef on offer ) and was told they didn't have any but could have rib eye for an additional £3, as there was nothing else I liked I didn't have a choice but had to pay the extra. The food was of a good standard and very nicely cooked.
The log fire in the bar area was lovely on such a cold evening. Breakfast was lovely and a good choice and it seemed the same breakfast for everyone rather than a separate one for kgb.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank p18tey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ford
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Wendover
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#7 of 41 in Aylesbury

Been to Dinton Hermit? Share your experiences!