“Lots of good things, but they handle noisy parties poorly”

Holiday Inn Express Sycamore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sycamore
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As others have said, the hotel is impeccably clean; the front desk staff very friendly and helpful, the breakfast appealing.

My problem was that this past weekend, the hotel was full of very noisy parties, that had rented several rooms and decided to keep their doors open and include the hallways in their socializing. Awakened Fri night at 11 and again at 2 by a couple of frat boys waxing poetic about the nature of true love.

Called the desk a couple of times--they were apologetic and (finally) came up and made people go to their rooms.

Next day they offered me a Starbucks gift card--but getting them to change my room was an enormous hassle, I had to take a smoking room, which smelled terrible AND the next night there were more parties on another floor.

I had to be up early both days to work on my feet. I didn't want a gift card. I wanted at least one good night's sleep. It didn't happen. I know the hotel can't control this, but their attitude seems to be that if they give you a gift card, that's good enough.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel, at least on weekends.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tandys_trainer
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

My apologies on your recent stay. I have discussed your comments with my staff and we are retraining everyone on how to handle these situations. If you would like to discuss your stay with me I would be happy to speak with you. We were sold out on Saturday and did not have any nonsmoking rooms to move you to we try our best to accomodate but it is not always possible.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I normally don't write reviews but was very impressed with this hotel. In town for a wedding and this was the perfect option. Tons of restaurants and shops within a mile radius for a quick snack and last minute shopping. Best continental breakfast, hands down. Desk staff was great with directions to the grocery store and was able to switch us to a non-smoking room upon checkin. Super clean, very quiet and abundant (free) parking. Definitely will be my first choice hotel if I visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lauren4180
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to know that we were able to make your experience a memorable one.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

In town on biz. Simple, plain property that delivers. Check-in was quick and service was friendly. Room was plain but comfortable. Nice chair, good desk, and a really comfortable bed - what else does one need? Would stay here again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. My staff is encouraged by your words to continue their
efforts to take care of our guests. We hope you will continue stay with us whenever you are
in town.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Spent one night here the evening before my children competed in a swim meet. Everything was great. The front desk staff was very friendly, our room was comfortable and clean; fairly spacious for a room with two queen beds. Breakfast the next morning was excellent. There were lots of hot food choices plus the standard muffins, bagels, cereals, fruit, etc. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for such a positive review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
It is always nice to share such positive comments with the staff. This helps reinforce our service culture and lets us know that our work is not unnoticed.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Front Desk Agents at this property are great! They are very knowledgeable and will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. Very highly recommended hotel! I will definitely be back when I need to stay west of Chicago.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TJ F
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts and takes time to
share their feelings. Your comments will be shared with my front desk staff as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express Sycamore a leader in excellence.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here last weekend with my husband for a couples weekend out. Friday night was very good, great check-in and didn't have any issues. Saturday night was a different story. There were TONS of little kids running all over the third floor up until about 11PM. Tried to call the front desk to find out the phone didn't work. When we went down to let them know about the phone, they said we probably needed to plug it in. I advised the guest service girl I wasn't stupid, I knew that and we did check the connections and even tried the outlet on the other wall and still nothing. We also noted about the kids and she just said "yea, I've been getting lots of complaints". Did they do anything, nope. My husband finally had to ask the boys (a group of about 6-8 boys all about 9-11 yrs. old) to be quite and go to their rooms as people were trying to sleep. WHERE WERE THEIR PARENTS (sorry that drives me crazy - take care of your kids people!)!!

The next morning we went down for breakfast at 9:10AM (breakfast is noted until 9:30AM) and most everything was empty and the place was PACKED!! We had to track down the workers who thought it was more important to be on a cigarett break than tending the lobby and breakfast area! When we asked for more items to be placed, we were VERY RUDELY told "breakfast is done at 9:30AM and we don't want leftovers; besides we're busy"! Oh REALLY!? I have NEVER been treated so rudely. One the breakfast attendent finished her smoke, she came back in and started slamming things around (she almost took out this little girl trying to get a milk - and NEVER appologized!). Luckily we were checking out or I would have blown a gasket right then and there. Mentioning it to the front desk didn't help, she just looked at me and said "yea, I've been getting complaints about the lack of breakfast items out". Wow - isn't that what I heard last night about the kids!?

Room and facilities were great, clean and acceptable. The service - not so much. I personally will not go back to this hotel (and I'm a Priority Member!) until they make some personnel changes and start to remember who keeps them in business.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sonia B
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I greatly appreciate your feedback on how we are doing. We rely on our guest to let us know how we are doing and what we can do to better meet their needs. My apologies for my staff's behavior this is not acceptable behavior. We will be retraining
the staff and reinforce our standards. I hope you will come back and give us the opportunity to
show you that we can treat you right. Again, Please accept my sincere apologies for the service
and I assure you that your comments will be shared for training purposes.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was hands down the very best hotel stay we have EVER had! The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We ordered food from a local restaurant that was delivered without condiments, but the front desk staff saved the day. They even helped us find family friendly entertainment for our little ones ages 1 & 3. The swimming pool was clean and warm. Our room was equipped with wonderful amenities which really made the stay so much easier! The hot breakfast was really good - especially the pancakes which we all enjoyed. If every hotel experience was this enjoyable we would travel much more often. I have never been so impressed! We will definitely stay here again!!!

I posted this exact same review on Priceline, but I wanted to share here too since our stay was especially enjoyable.

Room Tip: We were traveling with 2 small children so I asked if there was anything bigger than a standard room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
SycamoreManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.
We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts and takes the tiem to say thank you.
Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sycamore a leader in excellence.
Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Sycamore!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sycamore
1 mi away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sycamore
Quality Inn Sycamore
Quality Inn Sycamore
#3 of 4 in Sycamore
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Motel 6 Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
#4 of 4 in Sycamore
Holiday Inn Express Rochelle
Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sycamore? Share your experiences!