“Manager Nancy Young refuses to be reached, Casey at reception very rude”

Holiday Inn Express Sycamore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sycamore
Naperville, Illinois
“Manager Nancy Young refuses to be reached, Casey at reception very rude”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I reached the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites as planned per the reservation. The reservation was made to specifically for my kids swim meet which was scheduled in the neighboring YMCA at 6am, so we drove from our home to the hotel.

To our shock, we had been booked in a smoking room.

When I requested a change, I was further shocked by a very rude customer representative, who claimed her name was Casey. She would not allow me to escalate this to her manager who she claimed was Nancy Young (stating she was not available till Monday) or any other senior personnel to address my sincere request .

She refused to accommodate a simple request of ours - finding a non-smoking room, as I had young kids accompanying me and I thought it would be common sense for anyone to understand my need.

She incessantly argued with no avail for nearly an hour, literally living me with the feeling as if I had done some big crime and it was my fault to have booked such . Not only that, she actually ganged up with the other hotel reception personnel Ms. Marina and along with her was very abusive. I maintained my cool and was requesting her continuously and it was a very bad humiliating experience in front of my family, which I really don’t feel I deserve.

Disappointed I had to return home with no avail and will have to drive them back in the morning tomorrow.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
I am sorry that you feel you had a bad experience, my front desk was trying to explain to you that
your room was booked through a thired party as a smoking room with no requests for non. The hotel was sold out of two queen nonsmoking rooms and the only nonsmoking room we had was the king suite with sofa pull out that Marina showed you. This would have been an upgraded room and would meet your needs of two beds. I understand you declined this and spoke with hotwire. I know this because while you were on the phone with the third party I was speaking with the hotel and could hear you through the phone arguing with customer service for the third party. My staff tried to help by offering you the king suite as they could not offer you something they did not have available. I responded to your email first thing Saturday morning when I saw it. In the email I did ask you to call me if you wanted to discuss this further as I would be happy to speak with you and left my phone number. I understand that you were frustrated with how reservation is booked but the hotel did their best to try to resolve once we knew what you wanted. Please understand that you agreed to the terms of the reservation with the third party and the hotel did honor the reservation that came across to the hotel. We do our best to meet our guest needs but we can not always accommodate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
West Des Moines
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Booked online accidentally 2 smoking rooms, tried to cancel the same day and was granted only credit for 1 room. The manager showed no professionalism to resolve this. I had planned on staying several nights in the future but will stay in Chicago, Peoria, or the Quad Cities for future business in the area. Our company stays a lot a nights at Holiday Inn each week and all years of travel all but this Express helped us out. Nancy you are rude.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt S
SycamoreManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
When booking a reservation online it does give the guest several prompts to review their reservation before confirming it. If you are not sure what a room type is they can click on it to get a better description. Also adding a request to the reservation stating nonsmoking preference helps the hotel try to resolve this prior to check in. We try to accommodate all of our guests but that is not always possible especially on sold out nights. Our General Manager did apologize and explain that we were willing to wave the cancellation fee if we could resell the rooms. We did try to resell them but were unsuccessful so we tried to meet the guest half way by charging for only one room instead of two. The hotel has a 24 hour cancellation policy which also comes up before confirming the reservation by confirming the reservation you agreed to the terms and conditions of the reservation.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a very typical Holiday Inn Express. The hotel is three levels, located on a busy, highway-like street with normal, clean, uninteresting rooms. I was able to walk about half a mile to a large strip-mall development with almost every chain store. They do allow smoking in the hotel and it smelled like cigarette smoke. Breakfast was served on styrofoam plates and in plastic cups which bothered me because there was so much waste.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all feedback. I am looking into changing from
styrofoam plates to paper, which is at least better for the environment.
St. Louis
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed one night on business. The rate was very good and the room was nice (non smoking). I was on the third floor.
I did not use the pool or workout room but they looked to be nice for this size of hotel. The breakfast was very good for free and I would probably stay again.
The negative... I hate cigarette smoke and it was obvious this hotel still has smoking rooms. As soon as we drove up the front desk staff was taking a smoke break right outside the front door. Not a huge deal but not how I would run the place. As I entered the lobby, you could smell the smoke in there. The place was nice but smelled. As I walked the hall on the first floor, you could smell the cigarette smoke on the entire floor (smoking rooms).
I would probably stay again but would make sure I'm on a floor other than #1.

Room Tip: If you don't like cigarette smoke, ask if your ns room is on floor other than #1.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
SycamoreManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sycamore, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. My apologies at this time we still have a small percentage of smoking rooms. I am reviewing the employee smoking policy.
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed here on business and found the rooms to be very spacious with nice beds and nice setup. TV was too small for the room and the work table could have been larger but other than that the room was above average for this price. Nice selection at breakfast as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pvec22
Mahomet, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed here with a family of four, the night before an athletic event. Room was clean and good sized. Wish beds were queens instead of full-size. It's hard for two adults to be comfortable in just a double bed. Breakfast was good, lots of hot and cold choices. Above average for this type of hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Holiday Inn Express lacks many business amenities that travelers often expect: Such as laundry facilities and access to a refrigerator and microwave. Certainly, you can pay extra to add a refrigerator to your room, and if you need to microwave something, the staff does oblige. However, I found it fascinating that they charge an extra $10 per night for a refrigerator.

In addition, the hotel doesn't offer any paid movie options...not a big deal: however, as a business traveler, having basic amenities (laundry facilities, fridge/microwave and movie access), improves the experience.

The gym boasts of a treadmill; elliptical and bicycle. During my stay, the elliptical was broken, and the treadmill although somewhat working, had computer issues. The staff seemed unconcerned when notified about broken equipment.

On the pro side, the rooms are clean, and the staff friendly; although I must note that the staff frequently leaves the front desk unattended.

For travelers who like breakfast options, this hotel offers one of the best, I have seen: plenty of hot and cold food choices. However, the dining room is small for a hotel of its size, and during my stay, there were several mornings, where there were not any free tables, and I was forced to sit with groups with other guests. Not entirely a bad thing, but on some mornings, being forced to making small talk with strangers because you asked to share their table, becomes a bit exhausting.

The Dekalb/Sycamore area doesn't have a great selection of hotels - and on the whole, the Hilton Express is a decent place to stay if you're in the area.

However, as a frequent business traveler, I miss many of the amenities, I have come to expect at a comparable chains such as the Hilton and the Marriott.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sycamore
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sycamore
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb
#2 of 5 in DeKalb
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Rochelle

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sycamore? Share your experiences!