“Not a bad Stay”

Quality Inn Sycamore
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sycamore
Reviewed August 22, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights with group, so we had a decent rate, and for what we paid, it wasn't bad. The double rooms don't offer much space, but the king suites are nicely sized. Both rooms had TINY bathrooms, basically enough space to do your business and leave (dressing in the bathroom is out of the question). However, they did have a full-length mirror, and comfy, plentiful pillows. The rooms weren't dirty or overly worn, but were slightly dated, they were not nearly as bad as what I was expecting for the price. Also, the continental breakfast was indeed lacking, basically boiled eggs, cereal, and a waffle maker, though our 5 year old thought the waffles were gross, and the store-bought donuts were not a great option. We did not, however, have any problem at all with the management. They even opened up the breakfast room one evening at our request so our group could eat our pizza all together without cramping into one of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed August 11, 2008

I had recently stayed in this Inn before, back in July of 2008, at that time the front desk personell was not nearly as friendly as my most recent visit. I needed a room before 11:00 am and they were more than happy to accomodate me, which was a pleasant surprise. The room was very clean and the bedding was much improved. I was pleased. The whole Inn was clean and my stay was pleasant. Seems that the Innkeepers in Sycamore are making a real effort at moving up and making their guest feel more comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I was in town for business and when I made the reservation, I was a little pressed for time and didn't read the other reviews. I should have.

While my experience was not nearly as bad as some of the previous reviewers, I have to concur with the penny-pinching attitude of the managers/owners.
The fitness center needs updated, working equipment quite badly.
The heater in my room worked intermittently and poorly.
The breakfast items were sparse, and in the stack of fruit placed out, there were many pieces that were badly bruised or partially rotting. Ick.

The room was clean and I didn't have any other problems. For just one night, it was tolerable.

However, I shall not return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We had stayed at this location previously when it was an Amerihost. At that time, it was fairly new, with a decent manager. The new managers, a husband and wife team, it appears are rude - I heard the wife yelling at some kids that did not eat all of their raw waffles. They only put out a few items at a time for breakfast, to discourage people from taking more than they need. And the husband/manager did not honor the origial price he quoted me for two rooms. They also do not know the meaing of "fund raiser".

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2007

If you're looking for a place that subjects its guests to violent outbursts from the manager, then this is the place. My family and I were down for homecoming in Dekalb, Northern Illinois University, and unfortunately this was our last resort. (and I don't mean that in a pleasant way). The manager all but let us know that if we needed any amenities, we should go to Sams Club and pick them up.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank ypatterson
Reviewed October 15, 2007

My group of seven stayed here and found the staff was rude and not helpful. Our room was not cleaned even though we saw the maid in the hall. We had to ask daily for towels which we had to go to the desk to get. They are cheap and penny pinching. For the breakfast waffles, I asked for butter and was told that they were out and it would be delivered tomorrow. Everything you asked for would be delivered tomorrow. The manager then started talking in her "outside voice" that I could go to Sams and get some butter. I asked her to just stop talking to me because between you and me, she was too loud and too close to the waffle iron.

Go across the street to the other hotel

Note to management - a certificate in hospitality does not make you hospitable - find another field.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank csmall04
Reviewed June 5, 2007

I travel quite a bit, and hotel/motel prices are going up no matter what. This hotel was average, but better than most I've seen thru-out the state. Tip: if your room is bad, move to another. Not every room is horrible as mentioned in other reviews. The pool area was clean, they are updating slowly, but surely. The front desk was very accommodating, and so was the owner. I would stay here again, if in need, for last minute plans. I was here on a business trip. Don't have high expectations, and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Barbiek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sycamore
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
#4 of 4 in Sycamore
Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb
5 mi away
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago / Aurora
Super 8 DeKalb IL
Super 8 DeKalb IL
#2 of 5 in DeKalb

Been to Quality Inn Sycamore? Share your experiences!