“A lot to be desired”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sycamore
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“A lot to be desired”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This property was mediocre at best. It is hard to get to due to traffic laws and making u turns. It was icy and the parking lot was hard to move about. The rooms were clean but very noisy you could hear others with ease. The breakfast left a lot to be desired as the waffle batter was not mixed properly and the eggs were not appealing. The pool and hot tub were excellent and made the weather more tolerable. The value made this property a less favorable stay. Choice Hotels needs to work with this property owner to make improvements and make the staff more pleasant as it is not ran as most Choice hotels.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Moweaqua, Illinois
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Not sure why other people were not happy staying here. Perhaps they are spoiled by fancy dancy hotels. But if you are on a tight budget and need a place to stay for a short period of time I would recommend this hotel. The front staff were very nice and helpful. My room was nice, clean and the temperature was perfect when I arrived. The bed was nice and comfortable was better then some hotels that I have stayed in. I wssnt able to take advantage of the breakfast because I ws going before they served it so I cannot comment on that. The price is very good for the traveler on a budget.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sheryl S
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The only reason I have stayed here is because it is part of the Choice Hotels chain. I won't be staying again. They have BED BUGS!!! I suspected after the last time I was here because I came home with some bites but I decided to give it another chance and I checked my room over and couldnt find any evidence of bed bugs. I woke up at 12:30 AM last night and felt a bug crawling on me. I quick turned the light on and grabbed the bug. I went online and cross referenced the bug I had with pictures of bed bugs online and it matched perfect with an adult bed bug. Luckily I took precautions when I checked in and none of my luggage or clothes touched the floor. They went straight to the desk. Of course the front desk clerk was surprised by the evidence I gave her but she sure let me check out with no hassle or charges

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Casey U

Travelers are raving about these Sycamore hotels

Huntsville, AL
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Recently visited the area and stayed over the 4th of July holiday (Monday-Thursday). The staff was friendly. However, I do not recommend staying. Go across the street and pay the extra $20 (others in my family did). The room was very outdated and not worth the price. The security lock was broken, albeit there was a chain, had to hold the handle down to flush the toilet, very limited cable channels, and the tub drains really slow. All bedding, room decor, and bathroom facilities need replaced. The pool area looked okay, but we did not use it. I used the computer in the front for guests for early check in with the airline, but no printer -- had to use the computer behind the front desk. Not what I expected. A week prior to our Chicago visit, we traveled to DC and stayed in Comfort Inns in TN and VA that were great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Staff were friendly and the rooms were clean but the building needs attention. Signs are falling down, carpet torn, outside doors do not close and the office adjoining the lobby is so messy that it would be embarrasing to any business.

Room Tip: Upstairs to Avoid overhead noise
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Cortland, IL
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This hotel was terrible. We live in the area & decided for Valentine's Day to take our kids there for a family night/day of swimming & fun. The staff was VERY rude. They made us very uncomfortable by staring at us constantly like we were going to steal something. The water in the pool was freezing and the hot tub was barely warm. We asked them to turn the heater up and were told the pool was cold because it is cold outside! The bathroom in the pool area was discusting. The room smelled like cigarettes even though it was a non smoking room. I was not even comfortable enough to let my family walk without shoes on in the room. We decided not to sleep there I went to the front desk & spoke to the manager and he spoke to me like I was an idiot. While walking past the front desk with my kids getting ready to leave the manager and a woman continued to stare at us and make us feel very uncomfortable. Honestly I could not get my kids in the car fast enough. This hotel is not family friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tina S
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2011

we were in sycamore for my son's wedding. 10 of my husband's and my family stayed at comfort inn. we were treated terrible. the rooms smelled like smoke, even though they were none smoking rooms. My husband put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door so we could get dressed. When we left at 1 pm to go to the wedding we took the sign down. We got back to the room at around 11:30 and to our surprise the room was not cleaned. I ask about it the next day and i was told by the manager's wife that the housekeeper does not work 24 hrs a day. When we left at 1 they were next door cleaning so there was no reason they could not of cleaned our room. I would never suggest this motel to any one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pegary_5760
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sycamore
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
#4 of 4 in Sycamore
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Super 8 DeKalb IL
Super 8 DeKalb IL
#3 of 5 in DeKalb
Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Rochelle

Been to Quality Inn Sycamore? Share your experiences!