“WILL NEVER RETURN”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sycamore
Cortland, IL
“WILL NEVER RETURN”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This hotel was terrible. We live in the area & decided for Valentine's Day to take our kids there for a family night/day of swimming & fun. The staff was VERY rude. They made us very uncomfortable by staring at us constantly like we were going to steal something. The water in the pool was freezing and the hot tub was barely warm. We asked them to turn the heater up and were told the pool was cold because it is cold outside! The bathroom in the pool area was discusting. The room smelled like cigarettes even though it was a non smoking room. I was not even comfortable enough to let my family walk without shoes on in the room. We decided not to sleep there I went to the front desk & spoke to the manager and he spoke to me like I was an idiot. While walking past the front desk with my kids getting ready to leave the manager and a woman continued to stare at us and make us feel very uncomfortable. Honestly I could not get my kids in the car fast enough. This hotel is not family friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tina S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2011

we were in sycamore for my son's wedding. 10 of my husband's and my family stayed at comfort inn. we were treated terrible. the rooms smelled like smoke, even though they were none smoking rooms. My husband put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door so we could get dressed. When we left at 1 pm to go to the wedding we took the sign down. We got back to the room at around 11:30 and to our surprise the room was not cleaned. I ask about it the next day and i was told by the manager's wife that the housekeeper does not work 24 hrs a day. When we left at 1 they were next door cleaning so there was no reason they could not of cleaned our room. I would never suggest this motel to any one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pegary_5760

Travelers are raving about these Sycamore hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed April 10, 2011

From the outside hesitated to even check in (not too impressive) but the inside lobby was clean and front desk was friendly, check in was fast.
The rooms are average (the price isn't a 5 star). The room was clean and bathroom was clean (important!) But the bathroom are TINY!!!
Our room faced the road so heard road noise and people one night loudly talking outside our window late at night. If you like a super dark room - this room is not. The light from outside shines around outer curtain and curtain doesn't completely close together so I safely pinned it. The beds were hard and a little lumpy, and pillows not great. Didn't try the free breakfast.
So not bad and not great for $89 a night

Room Tip: I would ask for a room NOT facing the road
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I should have read the other reviews. Could feel the box springs in the bed, blankets and towels looked old and dingy. Rooms not clean. The whole hotel was dated. Worst night ever for sleeping. They put us in a room with an adjoining door and the man next door coughed all night long keeping us up. Come to find out the next morning, they only had 10 rooms rented so they could have spaced people apart. Staff not friendly and even at check out no one asked how was your stay..which might have been a good thing because I would have told them (if they bothered to ask).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Mount Prospect, Illinois
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Sycamore in October of 2010. The lady at the front desk was rude. She accused me of having too many people staying in my room prior to me even checking in. She would only give me one room key and I had to bring another person in to get an additional key. The sink is not located in the bathroom. It is in the room itself. It smelled smokey in the room and the hallways. If I would have known how bad this place was, I would have paid the extra $40 for a better hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Was very expensive. A smoking room was cheaper on their web site. I should have taken it because the non-smoking room they gave me smelled terrible (not from smoke, but from whatever they used to cover it up).

I had to go across to Walgreens and buy lots of room deodorizer.

There was even a pack of Marlboro's left on the desk in the room. How nice of them.

Not particularly clean.

No plugs near the desk. What were they thinking when they designed this place?

Very obvious the owners just don't care. Take your money and run. I'm sure they don't expect anybody to stay there a second time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MS595
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Stayed at this hotel Oct. 24th. Location was good for what where we wanted to be. Rooms were clean, & beds comfortable. When using the pool however, the indoor "heated" pool was not warm. Kids swam in it, but too cold for adults to enjoy it. The hot tub was hot, but the water was murky, looked dirty, and there was so much chlorine and chemicals in it, the steam burned your eyes to sit in it. The jets went on and off by themselves, very powerful when on. I don't think they were on a timer to go on and off, just a timer to go on, and it went on and off on its own while on the timer. Also, there were large dead bugs, like crickets or something around the hot tub. Not appealing to look at for sure! (At least they were dead). Another issue was the internet. It did not work in our room. I took my laptop to the front desk when I couldn't connect in my room. Windows on my pc said it was too far from the router- it wasn't a strong enough signal. At the front desk the young man working as the desk clerk tried several times and was actually able to get on line, but back at my room, (which was on the 2nd floor, last room farthest from from desk) again it was too far from the router and too weak a signal to connect to the internet. Again, I went to the front desk and informed the clerk that I again could not connect to the internet and asked if he had any suggestions. He did not. I thought he'd offer another room closer to the router, but he did not. As it turned out, I left the hotel for a bit to use internet elsewhere. I was disappointed in the hotel for the hot tub pool area and the internet connection problem. Everything else was OK at the hotel, but I feel the free wireless internet and heated pool were included in the cost of the room and I did not get either of those....

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sycamore
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
Motel 6 Sycamore
#4 of 4 in Sycamore
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Super 8 DeKalb IL
Super 8 DeKalb IL
#3 of 5 in DeKalb
Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Rochelle

Been to Quality Inn Sycamore? Share your experiences!