“Rich with texture and warmth”
Review of TARA Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Enmore
TARA Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Enmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Tara is home to a vibrant couple who have filled it with love and life. Brom and Julian are easily my new favorite aunt and uncle. They truly make you feel like family. I enjoyed breakfast as a scene of theatre one morning as their banter and cheer filled the room. I also recall the wonderful art pieces that would catch you and pull you in. The decor was extremely well assembled, creating little nooks where one can just sit and relax. The wedding I attended was simply deliteful. A pluses for the catering selection for the wedding party! I hope I get to return!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jerry F

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The location of Tara Guest House was perfect for my needs. Close to my family. 100 metres to bus stop and nearby are many good restaurants, shops, cinema & the Newtown train station.
The Upstairs Gallery Room with huge ensuite (including a heavenlyl deep bath tub) was delightful, with windows opening onto a balcony. However the piece de resistance is the amazing breakfast spread and the friendly family style presentation. Breakfast was truly something to look forward to. Julian & Brom are both culinary experts and cook up a storm for their guests. Julian said "if you need lunch then we have failed". I never needed lunch!!
I stayed for one week and wish it could have been longer.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Jan S
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed for three nights at Tara in December which was my second stay there. From the minute Julian collected me at the airport I felt like I was staying with old friends. Tara is a beautiful old house with exceptional charm and comfort. Julian and Brom add genuine warmth and hospitality with the BEST BREAKFAST you will ever have. They really care about their guests so there is no question that you will get the most delightful food made to your needs - I am a coeliac and so what was waiting for me - the best pancakes I've ever eaten - gluten free or not! So there is really no choice for me when visiting Sydney but to stay at Tara - and it's great value too....

Room Tip: A back room to avoid noise from the street or check if you can get a room with your own bathroom if...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Renzobaby
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at Tara for a week over New Year 2012/13. We cannot speak too highly of the hosts Julian and Brom who were so helpful and supportive especially when we had cause to use Sydney's health care system (without going into details). The breakfast is fantastic (my mouth is watering as I write!) with lots of home made food and excellent tea (a rarity outside the UK I find). I especially enjoyed the corn fritters, the croque monsieurs and the pancakes but I challenge anyone staying there not to be fully satisfied with the breakfast (I didn't need lunch).
The hosts have a lovely, lively Border Collie called Oscar, who is great fun.
The bed was very comfortable and the building has great character. The only thing that could be improved is the noise insulation in the downstairs bedroom suite. This does need sorting out, but we also stayed 1 night in one of the upstairs rooms and that was perfect.

The real strength of Tara is its very special hosts Julian and Brom who we want to thank profusely for all their help and care.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Tara Guest House is very special. I have been traveling backwards and forwards between Melbourne and Sydney pretty much monthly for three years. During this time I have tried many different hotels, from swanky five star to small boutique, with the odd guest house thrown in, never quite finding the perfect place to relax and unwind after long working days. Until now.

Tara Guest House is everything the owners and hosts Julian & Brom themselves are - warm, welcoming, stylish and understated. The rooms are comfortable, elegant and airy with original timber floors and interesting contemporary pieces of art and the hosts are an absolute delight.

Not only is breakfast a monumental feast, Julian and Brom worked around my tricky no gluten, dairy & egg dietary needs without breaking their stride. Simply the best sausages I have ever eaten in Australia, not to mention buckwheat pancakes and a mountain of fresh fruit and irresistible yum cha hand made locally.

Tara Guest House is now my Sydney home-from-home and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nikkihillier
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Tara Guest House is a true bed & breakfast. It feels more like staying at a friend's place then in a hotel. The bed part is wonderfull. Rooms are very spacy and cozy, just like the pictures on their site. But the breakfast part is the real attraction, this just could not get any better! Fresh (real) coffee and fresh orange juice, pancakes, dumplings, eggs any style, you name it, Julian can make it like noone else.

Just 2 things you need to consider. First, this is quite a social place. Julian and Brom are great people to get to know. Breakfast is organised at an agreed hour so all guests can enjoy it together. You will find yourself spending more time for breakfast than planned, because it's so good and it just keeps coming, and because you're socialising.

Another thing to consider is the location. It is easy to get to the touristic centre, but it is quite a busride (25 mins or so). So if for instance you want to change for the evening and go back to the centre, it will take you some time. The good part however is that this place is located in a great district with lots of restaurants. We went one night to a restaurant recommended by Julian and Brom, and we had a fantastic dinner. As a tourist, you would probably not get to know this district if not staying here.

So if you are short on time and just want an inpersonal and efficient place to stay, probably better to stay more in the touristic centre. But if you have more time, and please plan enough time because Sydney is just a great city, Tara Guest House is an absolute bonus I would recommend to anyone.

And one last thing, we got transportation from and to the airport, which is great. You can rest assured that Julian will get you there right on time even in heavy traffic, but for a little more peace of mind, maybe better to leave 15 mins earlier then Julian proposes ;)

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Patrik9S
Reviewed December 10, 2012

TARA: Good Food & Company
=======================

After a long train ride from Newcastle on the retro InterCity trains, I was really grateful to see Julian at Sydney Central, despite our really late arrival. Thanks for picking us up and introducing us to charming King's St on the way to TARA. I really enjoyed listening to Julian's extensive travel stories, as if I had been packed into his suitcase and traveled along too.

TARA Guest House is located near the charismatic Enmore Road and King's St, filled with cafes, ice cream parlors, Asian food, interesting bookshops, with streets kept alive by the students from the University of Sydney nearby. And not forgetting Cow & The Moon, Australia's best gelato is on Enmore Road just a stone throw from TARA. Their pistachio gelato and salted-caramel-macadamia flavours are heavenly (I read that the SMH agrees with me on the pistachio one!).

We had the room with the telescope and the upper-front one, both were roomy, cosy and tastefully decorated. I really liked the telescope room, and couldn't help running to the windows each time an aircraft flies past, guessing the airline and listening to their purring engines. Geeky.

Shared bathroom wasn't a problem for us, since my family had 2 rooms and we were sharing the same bathroom. The free WiFi is a plus, helps in last minute trip plannings and checking schedules. Although Victorian houses were designed to utilise the wind, but it still does get a little warm on humid summer nights.

Breakfast: the sweetest fruits, juicy homemade prunes by Brom, the fresh salmon, juicy sausages, awesome dim sum and pan sticks, delicious pancakes, and the lovely fruit bread with Ricotta cheese and Kangaroo Island honey, paired up with the freshest orange juice and aromatic coffee, it's a heavenly breakfast. I dreamt of breakfast every night. And did I mention Brom has a wonderful memory, she makes it a point to remember every guests' names and how they like their coffee or tea. Breakfast is like a family gathering, where we met other guests, shared our stories (and Julian's and Brom's too).

Brom knows Sydney inside out. She can point you to all the sights and sounds and best kept secrets all around. Armed with her map, tips and tricks with the local buses, exploring Sydney could not have been easier.

It is the perfect place to end our family vacation, and TARA keeps me wanting to return to Sydney for many more days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Seng Kiong T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enmore
Central Business District
Glebe
Alishan International Guest House
The Maisonette
#4 of 58 in Sydney

Been to TARA Guest House? Share your experiences!