TARA Guest House
The Urban Newtown(Newtown)(Great Value!)
$76
$73
Agoda.com
Cambridge Lodge Guest House(Stanmore)(Great Value!)
$62
$110
  • Pool
Glebe Space(Sydney)
Priceline
All reviewsb bwonderful hostsother guestsbreakfast tableflight pathenmore theatreairport pickuplovely homenewtown stationevery morninghome away from homesydney airportbuses and trainsyogurtinner citynew zealandensuite bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at Tara for a week over New Year 2012/13. We cannot speak too highly of the hosts Julian and Brom who were so helpful and supportive especially when we had cause to use Sydney's health care system (without going into details). The breakfast is fantastic (my mouth is watering as I write!) with lots of home made food and excellent tea (a rarity outside the UK I find). I especially enjoyed the corn fritters, the croque monsieurs and the pancakes but I challenge anyone staying there not to be fully satisfied with the breakfast (I didn't need lunch).
The hosts have a lovely, lively Border Collie called Oscar, who is great fun.
The bed was very comfortable and the building has great character. The only thing that could be improved is the noise insulation in the downstairs bedroom suite. This does need sorting out, but we also stayed 1 night in one of the upstairs rooms and that was perfect.

The real strength of Tara is its very special hosts Julian and Brom who we want to thank profusely for all their help and care.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Tara Guest House is very special. I have been traveling backwards and forwards between Melbourne and Sydney pretty much monthly for three years. During this time I have tried many different hotels, from swanky five star to small boutique, with the odd guest house thrown in, never quite finding the perfect place to relax and unwind after long working days. Until now.

Tara Guest House is everything the owners and hosts Julian & Brom themselves are - warm, welcoming, stylish and understated. The rooms are comfortable, elegant and airy with original timber floors and interesting contemporary pieces of art and the hosts are an absolute delight.

Not only is breakfast a monumental feast, Julian and Brom worked around my tricky no gluten, dairy & egg dietary needs without breaking their stride. Simply the best sausages I have ever eaten in Australia, not to mention buckwheat pancakes and a mountain of fresh fruit and irresistible yum cha hand made locally.

Tara Guest House is now my Sydney home-from-home and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nikkihillier
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Tara Guest House is a true bed & breakfast. It feels more like staying at a friend's place then in a hotel. The bed part is wonderfull. Rooms are very spacy and cozy, just like the pictures on their site. But the breakfast part is the real attraction, this just could not get any better! Fresh (real) coffee and fresh orange juice, pancakes, dumplings, eggs any style, you name it, Julian can make it like noone else.

Just 2 things you need to consider. First, this is quite a social place. Julian and Brom are great people to get to know. Breakfast is organised at an agreed hour so all guests can enjoy it together. You will find yourself spending more time for breakfast than planned, because it's so good and it just keeps coming, and because you're socialising.

Another thing to consider is the location. It is easy to get to the touristic centre, but it is quite a busride (25 mins or so). So if for instance you want to change for the evening and go back to the centre, it will take you some time. The good part however is that this place is located in a great district with lots of restaurants. We went one night to a restaurant recommended by Julian and Brom, and we had a fantastic dinner. As a tourist, you would probably not get to know this district if not staying here.

So if you are short on time and just want an inpersonal and efficient place to stay, probably better to stay more in the touristic centre. But if you have more time, and please plan enough time because Sydney is just a great city, Tara Guest House is an absolute bonus I would recommend to anyone.

And one last thing, we got transportation from and to the airport, which is great. You can rest assured that Julian will get you there right on time even in heavy traffic, but for a little more peace of mind, maybe better to leave 15 mins earlier then Julian proposes ;)

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Patrik9S
Reviewed December 10, 2012

TARA: Good Food & Company
=======================

After a long train ride from Newcastle on the retro InterCity trains, I was really grateful to see Julian at Sydney Central, despite our really late arrival. Thanks for picking us up and introducing us to charming King's St on the way to TARA. I really enjoyed listening to Julian's extensive travel stories, as if I had been packed into his suitcase and traveled along too.

TARA Guest House is located near the charismatic Enmore Road and King's St, filled with cafes, ice cream parlors, Asian food, interesting bookshops, with streets kept alive by the students from the University of Sydney nearby. And not forgetting Cow & The Moon, Australia's best gelato is on Enmore Road just a stone throw from TARA. Their pistachio gelato and salted-caramel-macadamia flavours are heavenly (I read that the SMH agrees with me on the pistachio one!).

We had the room with the telescope and the upper-front one, both were roomy, cosy and tastefully decorated. I really liked the telescope room, and couldn't help running to the windows each time an aircraft flies past, guessing the airline and listening to their purring engines. Geeky.

Shared bathroom wasn't a problem for us, since my family had 2 rooms and we were sharing the same bathroom. The free WiFi is a plus, helps in last minute trip plannings and checking schedules. Although Victorian houses were designed to utilise the wind, but it still does get a little warm on humid summer nights.

Breakfast: the sweetest fruits, juicy homemade prunes by Brom, the fresh salmon, juicy sausages, awesome dim sum and pan sticks, delicious pancakes, and the lovely fruit bread with Ricotta cheese and Kangaroo Island honey, paired up with the freshest orange juice and aromatic coffee, it's a heavenly breakfast. I dreamt of breakfast every night. And did I mention Brom has a wonderful memory, she makes it a point to remember every guests' names and how they like their coffee or tea. Breakfast is like a family gathering, where we met other guests, shared our stories (and Julian's and Brom's too).

Brom knows Sydney inside out. She can point you to all the sights and sounds and best kept secrets all around. Armed with her map, tips and tricks with the local buses, exploring Sydney could not have been easier.

It is the perfect place to end our family vacation, and TARA keeps me wanting to return to Sydney for many more days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Seng Kiong T
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We wanted to begin our Australian trip in Sydney staying at somewhere 'interesting' and Tara certainly fitted the bill. The sight of Julian and his green jeep at the airport after a gruelling 23 hour flight was most welcome. The warm welcome continued on arrival at the house and continued throughout our 5 day stay. Brom and Julian guided us through the intricacies of travel around Sydney with aplomb. Add to that the legendary breakfasts (which left my weight-loss plan in tatters), huge rooms with comfortable bedding, convenient location for travel to town and you have the recipe for the (almost) perfect stay. The only downside was traffic noise in the room. This was not a problem for us but may deter others who demand absolute perfection.

In summary this was the ideal start for our holiday and without any experience of other houses, I feel it would be difficult to improve on Tara

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple