“I arrived a stranger - I left a friend”
Review of TARA Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Enmore
TARA Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Enmore B&B and Inns
Hawarden, Wales, United Kingdom
“I arrived a stranger - I left a friend”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had two brief (two-night) stays at the Tara 'bookending' a working trip further up the coast. These were the perfect start and end to my first visit to Australia and gave to the whole experience something special.

As a 'B&B' it is much more than these two letters imply. My room was one of the best decorated and most comfortable in which I have ever stayed. The bed was without doubt the softest and the sheets the finest I have slept in. The breakfasts were exceptional. This is not only for the quality and range of food available but for the whole atmosphere. Breakfast is shared on a communal table next to the kitchen. One quickly gets to know all the other guests, where they are from, where they are going and what they are doing in Sydney. One soon gets to hear things about Sydney that the guide books omit.

Julian and Brom rise very early and put in more effort for their guests than perhaps meets the eye. They could very easily cut corners and provide their guests with a very nice experience and still get excellent reviews. Instead, they go the extra mile and should be lauded for this.

The Tara is an ideal place for those who like meeting people and making friends. When I say that I arrived a stranger and left a friend, that is no exaggeration. Indeed, while I was there, I felt very much a member of a family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sjlewis55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts around the world, but there is no place that does breakfast like Julian and Brom do breakfast. If your schedule will not permit you to be able to enjoy a Tara breakfast, you will be missing 80% of the experience in my opinion. It is not just the food, which is in itself overwhelming in both quality and assortment from these two accomplished chefs, but the company around the table, which is normally so eclectic and invigorating. The table will typically include guests from a wide range of nationalities, professional backgrounds, languages, and experience. Breakfast can be brief, but it is particularly memorable when the mix of people and conversation extend the experience well into the day. The meal experience and room are a great value. Add in Julian's transport services and Tara should always be your first choice when in Sydney. Our many thanks to Brom and Julian (and Oscar) for a wonderful Sydney memory. We would definitely repeat our experience under their competent care.

Room Tip: Downstairs has a gas heater in the room, your warmest option in winter. Upstairs is quieter, but a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had high expectations for this stay and they were more than met. Julian met us at the airport when we arrived about 9am. We ate a light breakfast of delicious leftovers from the breakfast they had just finished serving while Brom quickly made up our room so we could shower after a long flight from the US

Brom gave us a wonderful introduction to the city complete with maps and bus instructions that served us the rest of the week. It's an easy bus ride form Tara to all the tourist spots.

We were in the front downstairs room which is a bit loud but wasn't an issue. The whole house is pretty cold in the winter due to its age, but we had just come from 100+ Arizona heat. After a day we were used to the chill.

Every morning brought new surprises for breakfast - eggs Benedict, Dim Sum, a wonderful frittata and a crab omlete were just some of the highlights.

There are over 400 restaurants near Tara so there are many wonderful options. But you won't need lunch!

Oscar the dog is a sweetie - you'll be his friend for life if you go out and throw his ball for him. He is allowed in the kitchen and den areas but doesn't go into any guest rooms.

If we return to Sydney again this is where we will stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DbacksFn
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Julian & Brom were great hosts and the room provided a relaxing retreat on our trip. We really enjoyed our time there and will be back at our next stay in Sydney. The breakfast was absolutely divine and we connected with people. How often does that happen in big motels? Thanks again Julian & Brom. See you next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dz c
London, UK
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I chose to stay at Tara over another guest house due to the speedy and friendly replies to my questions. Julian and Brom are so friendly and are very knowledgeable about the local bus routes, restaurants and generally what is going on in Sydney. Honestly they really are people people.

Breakfast is served at 8.30am on weekdays and 9am on weekends. It's generous and quite fun to chat with the other guests. I requested soya milk and it was provided which was kind of the hosts. Brom made really lovely poached eggs one morning with her secret hollandaise sauce. Julian made dim sum a couple of days which was a great twist to breakfast.

I stayed in the upstairs front room which has its own ensuite (the other rooms upstairs face the back). It was Winter when I stayed at Tara. The only thing that could have made my 9.5/10 stay a 10/10 is another bathmat in the upstairs ensuite bathroom, another heater (the downstairs front room one is more manly than the upstairs room heater) for the bathroom, a hand-towel and the same open-faced bin in the upstairs front bedroom in the bathroom. These are minor details though. The bedsheets were lovely and clean and the house itself is delightful and characterful. Tip: bring your own stolen hotel slippers to walk around the house in as this is a guest house not a hotel.

Water is provided in the rooms.

I also stayed in the downstairs front room. There is a dedicated bathroom and dedicated separate toilet room across the hall for this room. The toilet room windows do not shut (it is an 1880s house (I think) and so it was cold but that is not the fault of the hosts. Overall I think for me it's better to have an en suite. I did not realise how often I wash my hands / need access to a sink but again others may not mind. Other than that the room is very well appointed and comfortable with some funky artwork / design items. The room is large (it's really two rooms open-plan with foldable doors dividing the two rooms) and one half of the room houses the tv, a soft, a piano and a coffee table; the other is for the bed.

Re traffic noise, it is there but it did not bother me. I lived for many years on a busy high street in London so am used to noise.

The star of the house is Oscar who turned 1 year old when we were there. He is absolutely adorable and very well behaved.

Julian and Brom have many repeat guests which says something in itself. Overall I would give this place 9.5/10 and I hope to return one day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed July 15, 2012

we had our hopes very high for this place given its past reviews. thankfully we left with the same overall impression as past guests. the hosts were kind and friends. the rooms were lovely. my only slight problem was the dog who seemed to just be free to roam around the place. but hey, i am more of a cat person and he didnt come and bother me so no problem! we would love to stay here IF were every came back to australia, but sadluy i think it is only a 1 time trip - bit far to visit from portugal :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Louisiana
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Sydney from the US for the first time in May of this year for our honeymoon, and were so happy with our decision to stay at Tara Guest House. Julian was highly accommodating in regards to our transfers to and from the airport (this adds a great deal of value to the cost of your stay), and Brom gave us a thorough orientation complete with maps and made calls for various tour bookings.

The house itself is modernly decorated. We stayed in the Gallery Room and found it to be quaint and perfect for our needs-lots of space in both the bathroom and bedroom. As some other guests have mentioned, you can hear street noise from this room, but this was mostly in the mid-morning and did not keep us from sleeping at all. The breakfast was an enormous spread freshly cooked each morning, and was no doubt the highlight of my husband's stay! Many days we were so full from breakfast that we saved money by skipping lunch. The conversation with our hosts and other guests around the breakfast table are some of our great memories from our time in Sydney.

We were also happy with the location of Tara Guest House, because it provided easy access to the city but also gave us the opportunity to explore an eclectic neighborhood with great shops and fantastic restaurants.

We would not hesitate to stay here again, and hope that we will someday be able to!

Many thanks to Brom and Julian for making our stay so lovely-wishing you all the best!

Room Tip: Read others' room reviews and choose based on personal noise preference.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enmore
Newtown
Surry Hills
ADGE Apartment Hotel
ADGE Apartment Hotel
#2 of 178 in Sydney

Been to TARA Guest House? Share your experiences!