All reviewsclean and quiet hotelfront deskhotel of choicecomfortable staythe breakfast areacomplimentary breakfastindoor poolworkout rooma great place to staythe hotel staffgalenaguestsmotelinnsil
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family recently stayed at this hotel during a family wedding that was being held by Apple River. I used to work for a chain of hotels, so I am very familiar with how everything works. When we checked in on Friday we told the woman who checked us in we had some people coming to swim. I would like to add in that the woman working the front desk and the lady wearing her assistant manager pin were both VERY pleasant and treated us great the entire time we were at the hotel. Upon our guests getting there, the two ladies working graciously let us into the pool area and were talking to our family members and friends who were from the area. They asked us not to eat in the pool area and told us we couldn't have anything glass in our coolers for drinks. There was a man and his wife and two children swimming when we got into the pool room. They were apparently from town as everyone knew them, and stated they wanted to take the grandkids swimming but the cold weather wasn't helping them, so they had decided to come to the hotel to swim. They were eating McDonalds in the pool area and had a bag of snacks, but the ladies didn't seem to care that they were eating anything, which was fine.

To make a long and uncomfortable story short, the owner of the hotel came in and started yelling at everyone for swimming. She stated she "didn't care" if we changed hotels or didn't book the party room again, and said she didn't allow people who weren't guests at her hotel to swim. After leaving the pool area, I went to the front desk to ask her about it, as the bride had stated we had close to a dozen rooms booked for the weekend, and there were 13 people who weren't "guests" at the hotel there with us swimming, (out of those 13, there were 6 people swimming, 4 of whom were children) The owner starting loudly yelling at me from the front desk, making a huge scene, while her employees literally stood behind her cowering. When our family members went to leave, three of the kids who were staying at the hotel in our group actually left with my family members because they were uncomfortable being there. My husband called the hotel in Galena that we were staying at the night of the wedding, and unfortunately they didn't have any available rooms or we would have left immediately.

I don't often get to come back to the Stockton area to visit my family and relatives, but even with my two small children, I would rather drive to Galena for a hotel they next time we come back then give this hotel our business.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KansasCityTravel247
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Stockton, IL, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

It is the first time I have been in a hotel that is in the middle of a corn field. Very unique.

Travelling to galena, we found this hotel fit our budget.

This hotel is very rural, very basic, very quiet, very nice.

Check in was friendly, warm cookies on arrival.

Wifi was ok, bathroom was ok. Everything was ok.

Breakfast was good.

There are almost no restaurants in the area. We were able to find a pizza place. The real gem was a lunch spot in the center of Stockton, very affordable.

Overall standard Country Inn & suites, clean, basic, comfortable, quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with rear view of hotel, corn fields!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had recently stayed at this hotel, and there must of been some guests staying from out of town because they felt it was ok to let there whole family( who were not paying for a room) come and use the swimming pool. They also had food and people in the breakfast room and the pool area. We also had the same idea and the General Manager Helen stated that she did allow people from the area to use the pool and breakfast room, but it was $100 for 3 hours. And she stated that GUESTS are her first priority!! I think this is a very customer focused hotel! Also, reading the 2 comments right before mine angers me to the fact that they would think its ok or even put this hotel in a position to have to "kick" them out of the pool area! I guess everyone does expect something for paying NOTHING!!! (I'm sorry I'm assuming they didn't pay the $100).
I also think this is one of the nicest "small" hotels I have ever stepped foot in! Very hospitable and respectful of there guests!! Rooms are clean and updated, breakfast is AMAZING!! I urge guests looking in this area to ignore any other reviews stating otherwise!!!

Room Tip: The family suite was wonderful!! Paid a little more but the room with table and extra sleeping area was great!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family was here today with a large group of guests that were staying at the hotel for a long weekend. Our kids were all enjoying the pool while the adults were watching and a few we're swimming. We were the ONLY people using the pool. We were in no way disruptive and the kids were not at all out of control. After a little while of enjoying the pool, the owner Helen came bursting into the pool area ranting that we all needed to leave right now! The hotel guests chimed in an said they were guests and had invited us. She was very rude and informed them that she didn't care if they were guests, we were not aloud to be swimming with them. The guests were very upset and said next time they would stay else where. The owner said she didn't care if they never came back, she had enough other guests and surely didn't need their business. She was very rude, caused a scene in front of several small children and surely wasn't appreciative of their business. I will NEVER suggest to any of my out of town guests to ever stay here again! I was entirely embarrassed that Helen would treat guests this way!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here for a work trip. There were three of us traveling, but the company would only cover two rooms. We checked in on a Monday and checked out Thursday morning. The first night we were there I saw, judging by the empty parking lot, that the property was at an extremely low vacancy level, so I called the front desk hoping to secure a 3rd room for our party at a discounted price.

I told the person at the front desk that since the money would be coming out of my own pocket I would be willing to pay $35 a night for the three nights. She scoffed and said the GM would never approve that, but that it was a moot point because the GM wasn't there anyway, and that she was only there a few hours in the morning every day so I should call back.

I called back the next day at noon and the GM was already gone for the day(nice work if you can get it!). I explained the situation to the hotel employee, and she too scoffed at the notion. I tried to get her to understand that a "discounted" rate of $35 was better than a room sitting empty, that we were still paying an average of over $60 per night for the 3 rooms(in a town of 1,800 in the middle of nowhere, and with the property 85% empty), and that there are businesses and websites that exist just to fill empty rooms at a discount. I relayed a story to her about one time when I was at a softball tournament. As the weekend was winding down the guy selling beer was still charging $2 a glass. I tried to tell him he would sell more and get rid of it if he lowered the price to a buck. I asked him if it would be better to sell 200 beers at $1 a glass or 50 at $2, if it would be better to get rid of the beer at a discounted price or dump it on the ground with nothing to show for it.

I tried to use the same logic on the hotel employee: was it better to have an occupied room at a discounted price or an empty room with nothing in the cash register. All of this was lost on the employee, who couldn't see past the $35 rate, as if that wasn't a significant amount for this tiny town. At no point did anyone offer to take my info and have the GM contact me. So, needless to say, I drew a short straw and ended up having to share my room with a co-worker.

Anyway, enough about me trying to instill logic into an illogical situation. About the property: I was surprised to see this type of lodging in such a tiny town. The place was nice, but could have been better. The rooms were ok, but apparently this is the last property in America to not have updated its TVs to HD flat screens. They still have the huge 27" models from the 90's. The beds were ok, a little hard, but the sheets and pillow cases were of an obnoxious material that was loud and uncomfortable, and the pillows were the worst I have ever encountered.

The pool area was decent, but they didn't allow any food or drink in the room. I can see not allowing glass, but NOTHING? No way. I always sip a cocktail or beer while I'm relaxing in the hot tub.

The highlight of the stay was breakfast. They had a good spread including waffles, biscuits and gravy and muffins as well as the usual array of cereal, yogurt, fruit, toast, pastry, etc., but they also had a revolving main dish that was very good and different every day. French toast and sausage one day, breakfast burritos one day and do-it-yourself egg mcmuffins another. Easily the highlight of my stay.

Bottom line: In the unlikely event I am ever back in this town I would stay here again because it's the only place in town, but really, outside of coming to this town for work there is no reason to come here. There are many better options in Galena and Freeport.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business