“Restaurant - what a lovely meal :D” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The New Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kidmore End B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Restaurant - what a lovely meal :D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

We went to dine at the New Inn using a Groupon voucher - purchased last November for the express use of something to look forward to & cheering us up on a cold, dark (pre pay-day!) January evening.
There was only one other couple dining on this Wednesday evening. We were in a small room with very few tables off of the main restaurant - which I felt was a nice touch rather than being in a larger (empty) room.
The service was attentive without being obtrusive, and we had a very leisurely meal - not hurried in any way.
The food:
Starters - fishcake & chicken parfait - trust me, my brief description does NOT do them justice!
Mains -Slow cooked Duck leg (en croute) served on a potato rosti (one of the "specials") & grilled chicken with olives & chorizo with a madeira sauce served with sauteed potatoes - both mains served with brocolli & we ordered a side of buttered fine green beans & sauteed shallots.
Desserts - home-made chocolate brownie served with ice cream & home-made sticky toffee pudding served with ice cream (home-made custard was an option with both)
We also each had the house red.
The food was divine - I cannot stress how pleasantly surprised I was - everything was great, presentation, temperature, taste, texture & portion size - not to big or small, felt pleasantly sated at the end - not overstuffed!
Its completely soul destroying for a chef to only have 2 couples to cook for - and still went to great effort with the food & service.
would highly recommend this restaurant - nice for a quiet & cosy evening out for a couple, but sure it would be great for a group of foodie friends.
I guess the only down-side for me is the very rural location - would need to drive there.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Earley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We first visited the New Inn in September 2011 on a Groupon Voucher. Excellent food, service and value. Shortly after our visit the Management changed and another Groupon deal was taken up.

There were only two other diners in the restaurant but the bar was quite full with locals and as it was a dreary Wednesday evening with strong wind and heavy rain this in itself was an achievement, considering that the New Inn is in an out of the way location down narrow country lanes.

The food once again was good and certainly value for money with the benefit of the discounted Groupon Voucher, the service attentive and the house wine at £17.00 was of good quality.

The starters of Fish Cakes and Chicken Liver Pate were both good and well presented but the main courses of Liver and Bacon and Pork Belly were a little disappointing. One piece of liver was very tough, which was possibly more down to the butcher than the chef and the Pork Belly was the size of a matchbox, which although was cooked to perfection left you wanting more when there wasn’t any.

Overall the New Inn was a friendly welcoming place but the portion sizes of food let it down which was unfortunate.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

Went here in October,again on a Groupon voucher and would cetainly reccommend! The food was so good,and the wine was very nice.

I had the Sunday roast which was very good and also the pudding. My partner had fish followed by a platter of cheeses. Must have been good as he ate it all!

The waiter could been a little more attentive and the tables a little less close too others but overall we would definately go back.

Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed on Sept 27th 2011, the pub was under new management with a new chef. The meal was very enjoyable with good wine, I couldnt fault the service we received.

We stayed overnight - there was no hot water (warm only), the modern roon was rather worn, with no heat in the towel heater. The managed did aplologise for the hot water but didnt offer a reduction in price for this. The breakfast fare on offer was v limited - boxes of cereals and orange juice, and a standard cooked full english with white toast, nil else. I think that Smoked Salmon Royale or fresh smoked kippers would be easy options. For the price I expect better quality all round - I hope the standard is raised by the new management, otherwise it will be changing hands, again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank Steve0001
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

We dined at The New Inn, we found out that it was under new management with a new chef. I have to say the food was outstanding. We had a Sunday roast, I had lamb, the potatoes and vegetables wer cooked so beautifully. I had an apple and blackberry pir with creme anglaise for dessert. It was homenade and the pastry was to die for! All in all we had a fantasitc time, the staff were all attentive, professional and friendly. Me and my family will definatley be going to The New Inn for all our get together meals now!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
      Location
Oxted
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Booked this B&B full of hope. Very helpful on the phone and tried their best to assist, even though they only had two double rooms left, for three lady friends.
I received a call the day before our arrival to let me know the 'wet room' in our suite wasn't fully installed but there was a bathroom for our use and they would take £20 off the room rate - Great service.
The setting was lovely and we were chuffed to pieces. When we walked in, we didn't know where to go to check in and had to go into the pub to find someone to help us - We were shown to our rooms; which we loved BUT the unfinished 'wet room' actually had constant running water (leaking pipe) throughout the night!! We also weren't told that there was a glass door on the bathroom that didn't close - which may be ok for a couple but not so hot for to ladies sharing - I would like to have known this at booking too.
LOVELY breakfast...........Yum
Local cab firm were fab!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

My wife and I went to dinner along with relatives on Saturday night (20/08/11). We were greeted by a completely charming girl who seemed to run the dining area all evening on her own despite only having been there for two days; very impressed with her. Two of us are vegetarian and so disappointed to be offered 'Hobson's Choice'of Stuffed Peppers. The waitress asked the kitchen if they could do anything else or modify another dish but the response was negative. Our relatives had Boeuf Bourguignon which they were told would arrive with vegetables perhaps. It did not and the salmon which I reluctantly chose as the peppers were not a treat to dine out for had only a few leaves and some pesto sheltering beneath it also. My wife's Peppers were very ordinary and without any accompaniment. We had chosen potato skins with dipping sauce for starters and these were greasy limp (Iceland?) bits with a ramekin containing meagre amount of sweet chilli dipping sauce straight from the bottle.
Puddings were actually ok and the food arrived swiftly but as a dining experience where you go out to savour something special or even beyond your normal level of expertise, (my bro-in-law and I are both accomplished cooks!) this left a great deal to be desired. Especially as the prices should merit something better.
We had gone as a special deal with a Groupon offer and had great difficulty actually making the booking as emails were not answered and when we queried why the phone was not answered despite repeated attempts one Monday, we were told "Oh we didn't open that day!"
We have been to The New Inn on many occasions over many years but this experience, purporting to come from a "Chef" as per their website, indicated a real decline in standards.... goodness knows what Gordon Ramsay would have said!!!
Thank goodness for the waitress who is worthy of better things and the beer that is excellent too.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
The Baskerville
The Baskerville
#1 of 1 in Shiplake
Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel

Been to The New Inn? Share your experiences!