“Dissapointing”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Nice traditional pub for drinks but felt the restaurant very dated. Food very average.... Smell of the deep fat fryer very off putting.
My king prawn starter was delicious... My partners potted prawn was 97% salmon and not good... No prawn in site tbh.
The "thin cut sirloin" was no more than minute steak with more McDonald's skinny chips than you would have ......dreamed of/dreaded - personally I am the latter. It was unseasoned, fatty and tasteless.
My partner chose the venison with haggis mash - the venison portion was tiny (for the money) and the haggis mash did not work at all.
If you are a foodie.... Give it a miss! We drove home feeling very very disappointed.

1 Thank MissSallySunshine

Reading, United Kingdom
“Reunion”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Every year we meet a group of friends from around the UK (6 couples) who meet every year and this year it was our responsibility to arrange the weekend. We all had dinner here Friday night and it was excellent in every way. As some of the folk were late the staff looked after us very well. The food was great too. Thank you. We can highly recommend this pub for both a group meal or as a couple.

Berkshire
“Always fab food, service lets things down”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been here twice recently as we live locally.

The food is always exceptional and today was no different. Perfect dishes cooked well and brilliant flavours.

However, on both occasions recently we have experienced poor service especially today.

Our main waitress was miserable, bordering on rude. She came to takes a drinks order (something she then didn't bother to do again) and didn't smile or interact at all.

The same occurred again when she came to take our order. My fiancé and I requested a couple of alterations to our meals (nothing major just no cheese in burger etc) which was met with a mumble and continued face like thunder.

As I said when the food arrived it was excellent. However, the waitress didn't ask if we wanted any sauces and no-one came to ask if the food was ok. I had to go and ask the waitress for more drinks as she didn't come back over. Again when I asked her for them she just said "Yes, yes ok" and waved me away.

Once we finished our meal only 4 out of 6 plates were cleared, the other two we had to stack and leave at the end of the table. We then had to ask for the dessert menus as these weren't offered (which the another waitress huffed "I was just about to bring them") and due to the length of time we waited for someone to come back over we decided against a dessert and just asked for the bill.

The restaurant was busy but nothing that rivals a Saturday night I should imagine. I've been a waitress as a student so I know how important it is to be attentive to your customers. I also know not to be unreasonable when it comes to waiting for plates to be cleared, orders to be taken etc but even the basics were sadly neglected today.

The lack of good service has put us off returning, especially as this is the second time recently. The last time we were here the waitress was equally miserable and everything seemed liked an inconvenience. Today was sadly no different. We even had to say goodbye first despite several members of the staff at the bar. Being ignored at the final moment just continued the tone of the whole meal really.

Please improve your service George and Dragon it sorely lets your fab food down.

1 Thank PinkSparkle85
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Traditional and cosy pub with broad food choice”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Attractive, traditional interior (much nicer in reality than it looks in the website photos) with good menu choice for Sunday lunch - much more than just a traditional roast. Great choice for the confirmed carnivores plus decent options for the rest of us. Would definitely come back if in this area. Very handy for people staying at Wokefield Park btw.

• Visited December 2013
Hertfordshire
“A proper British pub! ”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Went yesterday for lunch. We hadn't booked and whilst they were busy they still found us a table. The food was delicious, really hot and all homemade. Even the homous that I had as a side with flatbread was homemade and very tasty. The decor is cosy and comfortable and it isn't posh but it's what I call a 'proper pub'. The north is full of pubs like this but I find they are harder to find down south, this is a great one.