“Warm welcome”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Calcot
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Nice hotel stayed here on business for a few weeks. Very friendly clean hotel. Some rooms are a bit pokey but if you get lucky there are some which are a bit more spacious. Good free Wifi. Only negative is the evening meals poor choice and poor quality which is a real shame as there are not many options close by. They do make a great breakfast though !!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank sharkey1
Calcot, Front Office Manager at Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments; all feedback is important to us and your review has beed discussed with the team here at the Calcot Hotel.

We are in the processs of changing the a'la carte menu in the restaurant, to offer a wider selection for our guests. The breakfasts we serve at the hotel always receive positive comments, so I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed yours too.

Whilst the majority of our rooms are of a standard size for a three star hotel, we do have a few smaller 'single rooms' which we sell at a lower rate when all the other rooms are sold.

Thank you, once again, for your time in writing such a kind review & we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel for more times than I can remember weeks at a time as well... I don't understand the negative reviews I have read because every time I've stayed here as with the 8+ collleagues I stay with, all think this hotel is full of life and quality.. The staff are by far the most helpfull and chatty I have met and even when the bar menu is over there still prepared to please you.. The rooms are really spacious and clean modern and upto date we have made friends here and not just with the staff other companies all in all really good hotel :)

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Ashleyradius
Calcot, Front Office Manager at Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review about the hotel and staff at the Best Western Calcot Hotel.

All the staff and management team take all reviews, whether positive or not, very seriously and take pride in being part of the team at the hotel.

Reviews, like the one you have left, fills us with pride and does help motivate the spirit of all our staff, most having worked here for a very long time.
Many Thanks
Pauline Wainright
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I like this hotel. I often have to travel to reading on business and my company has an account with the calcot. I've been coming here since 1997 and have seen the place improve over that time. It has more character than a travel lodge or premier inn and the staff are attentive. Decent food and beer is on offer and the rooms are quiet, clear and well looked after. it fulfills all the requirements of the business traveler and I can strongly recommend...

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank scarface18
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I have read some bad reviews of this hotel but thought i would write my own. Just outside Reading which can be reached by bus. All the staff are friendly and make everyone welcome. The food in the restaraunt is good value. People stay here on a regular basis often on business. The local Rotary club have a their meetings here. I have never had any security issues and have periodically visit this hotel for a year. It isnt ultra modern but this lends to its charm.

Room Tip: Main building are the better rooms but can pay a little more. Overall good value for the money rooms...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Gypsy60_11
Calcot, Front Office Manager at Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your possitive feedback.

I have passed your kind comments on to the General Manager and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
Pauline Wainwright
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed October 13, 2011

stayed here on business trip in september and was put in room on upper floor towards rear of the hotel. hotel has no lift which together with no air con in rooms are my only niggles especially as the indian summer had just arrived. room clean and bright .didn't sample room service or breakfast so can't comment on food. receptionist helpful and gave me directions into city centre.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank teddymbear
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed for a longer weekend this time to visit family. Nice hotel with friendly staff who even managed to remember us. As we had a great time dining in the restaurant the last visit, we did the same again (for birthday celebration) and it was another great experience. Food and wine selection was good...brilliant atmosphere!

Good breakfast choice with friendly service.

We are thinking to come back for evening event that the hotel offer and a jazz night sounds good…

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank k3vin_y0ung
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

Your possitive comments regarding both the hotel and the staff are very much appreciated.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards
Pauline Wainwright
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed here in June on a Thursday evening while away working in Theale.

I arrived and had to park as far away from the hotel as possible as the car park was full of novelty vehicles and teenagers. By the time I got to reception, the hotel informed me that there was a 6th form prom being held at the hotel that day, and not to worry, the prom finishes at midnight. It would have been good courtesy to let me know when I booked, as a business traveller, I don't anticipate being kept up all night.

Given the above, I was put in a room on the ground floor, with the window next to the entrance, so I spent the entire evening listening to kids outside messing about and drunk until 1am. Not only is this not a great hotel experience, but as a young woman alone, not the most secure I have felt.

On top of this, there was a very basic room service menu, with a telephone number to order (they add a tray charge), but no telephone in my room. So I had to fight my way to reception to order room service- with less than helpful receptionists.

I didn't bother staying for breakfast as I was too depressed by the whole thing.

No amount of "saving money" is worth this place. Seriously.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicola R
Andrew_MacLachlan, General Manager at Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave your review after staying at the Best Western Calcot hotel, however I am concerned as to the length of time it has taken for the review to be posted so unable to fully investigate the matter in detail.

However what we do know is a school prom did take place and unfortunatley we are unable to inform all guests at time of booking exactly what functions are to be held on the premises. The fucntion in question finished at 23.15 and no alcohol was served so we cannot understand why you were disturbed during the evening and up to 1:00AM. The free car parking would have been busy, however we have 220 car parking spaces and again I am unable to comment as to where you parked, but presume onsite.

The security of all guests is a priority for us and if we had been informed of your concerns whilst staying would have been able to action, according to our records the room allocated was on the first floor, which is a policy of the hotel to not place female travellers in the ground floor rooms.

I am sorry to hear of your thoughts regarding the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calcot
Hilton Reading
Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel
Hillingdon Prince Hotel
Hillingdon Prince Hotel
#15 of 31 in Reading

Been to Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel? Share your experiences!