Bahia Apartments & Diving
Landhuis Klein Santa Martha(Soto)(Great Value!)
$91
$120
Hilton Curacao(Willemstad)
$185
  • Pool
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club(Willemstad)(Great Value!)
$138
$120
Hotels.com
Very Good 4/5
$62
  • Pool
Curacao Suites Hotel(Willemstad)(Great Value!)
$76
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsdive shopbeach entryguided divescatch of the daynight divenice apartmentwest endamazing locationenjoyed our stayrental carfishtheaiguanasreefbedroombriefingisland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I were in Curacao for our honeymoon last week. We were staying at the Hilton which we booked specifically because it had an onsite dive center. Well, we arrived and found a note on the door of the dive center saying that it was closed. Sigh. It ended up being a blessing in disguise though because we ended up doing a bunch of shore diving at various locations instead. We had a great experience at Bahia. The dive instructor was very helpful in renting us equipment and briefing us on the best way to dive Playa Lagun. Our first dive was so nice that we decided to do a second dive at the same location. Also, the SCUBA rental prices were cheaper at Bahia than anywhere else we went during our trip. Also, I have my own equipment, but my husband rented his - the rentals at Bahia were far nicer and newer than any other place. After our second dive we stopped in the restaurant for drinks. Definitely order a Blue Voodoo - super yummy! The view from the restaurant was beautiful and everyone at Bahia was so welcoming and friendly. After leaving that day, we actually said that we wish we were staying there instead of at the Hilton. Maybe next time!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Yes, the location is amazing, the snorkeling is fantastic, the people are helpful and friendly, but it is the potato wedges that I dream about returning to. I had no idea potatoes could be so good!
One tip, the one bedroom apartments don't have insect screens on the sliding doors, so you will probably have to use the air conditioning. Go ahead and use it though, it doesn't cost much as long as you set it at something reasonable. I wish we had used it more.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent 8 nights at the Bahia Apartments. The biggest draw for us was the location, on the cliffs overlooking Playa Lagun. It's maybe 60 steps down a sturdy metal staircase to a great snorkling beach. We saw eels, turtles, seahorses, rays, and an octopus in the lagoon. It's a lovely spot, though it did get busy, especially on the weekends. The crowd is mix of locals and tourists, with plenty of scuba divers doing a beach entry. Some evenings there was a fair amount of trash when everybody left. I did my best to pick up what I could. Nobody wants to snorkel alongside plastic cups and styrofoam plates.

While we were there, a great big group of locals spent the night on the beach, and at 3am a turtle came up and laid her eggs on the beach. The campers woke up the owner of the apartments so he could watch; I just wish they'd woken us up too!

There are shade structures on the beach -- we made a point of setting up before 10am to ensure we got a shady spot -- as well as lounge and beach chairs that are free to use for Bahia Apts guests. Beach towels are not provided. You can rent them from the office; we bought ours at the California minimarket for 10Naf each. There is a small dive shop at the apartments but we didn't have need of it. They have a washing machine and dryer near the office; we didn't use them so I don't know how much the laundry tokens cost, sorry! The office is only open from like 10am to 2pm but I think you could use the machines outside of that time window, as long as you had the tokens and some soap.

Our apartment was nice: small, but it worked well for the three of us. We put our son's rollaway bed into the bedroom with us because it was hot and we needed the AC, which was mounted over the bed in the bedroom. (The AC costs extra; it's hooked up to a meter that measures how much energy you used. We set it to 26 degrees, ran it for 10-12 hours a night, and the total additional cost was under $10.) Unfortunately, our apartment had very little ventilation other than great big sliding glass doors that had no screens. Mosquitos were a problem at night, so we couldn't leave them open. That left a couple small windows, none of which were in the bedroom, and they weren't situated to get any sort of cross-breeze going.

We were surprised at how good the food was at the restaurant. The chicken sate was excellent, the roasted leg of chicken with chili sauce was fantastic, the steak was amazing. But the potato wedges were hands-down the best. Because the restaurant closes early, we originally thought we'd eat elsewhere at dinner. Instead, we'd grab an early lunch there so we could eat an early dinner, too. It's all reasonably priced, not like Hawaii-holy-cow expensive. Service at the restaurant was okay; I caught one error on our bill, and another time it bothered me to be charged fifty cents for ketchup when every other time we'd ordered wedges it came with both ketchup and mayonnaise.

On Thursday nights they have a big dinner, alternating barbecue and crioyo. We enjoyed both and preferred the crioyo. But they were both good, and a lot of fun, with entertainment and everybody kicking back and chatting and drinking. You need to RSVP at least a day in advance! Be warned, it gets pretty loud, and when everybody's leaving at 11pm they can make quite a racket.

We didn't do much cooking in our apartment. The pans were cheap scratched nonstick, which makes it so much harder. There was a toaster oven, gas stovetop, coffee maker, toaster, and an electric kettle. There were coffee filters provided. The nearest decent store is about a twelve-minute drive. We did use the fridge and freezer, of course. It was a normal fridge, small but not like you'd see in a dorm or hotel.

The hosts were nice; always checking to see if we needed something. When I discovered I'd brought the wrong cable for my Kindle, we drug through the Lost & Found box to no avail. But one of the guys was sure he had one at home, so when he came back from lunch, they charged my Kindle up and let it charge overnight. That saved us a headache!

A couple times somebody came in to swap out or towels for fresh ones, and at one point somebody came in and cleaned the place while we were gone. We didn't worry about leaving money or electronics in our room, and nothing was touched. There was a safe but we couldn't figure out how to use it.

If you go, bring soap and shampoo, maybe some beach towels. And of course, gallons of sunscreen!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 118michaelj118
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Wonderful view of the inlet and ocean. Decent menu and the food was good. The best part though was watching our daughter feed the iguana's, that was worth the price of the food alone.

The snorkeling in this bay is the best we experienced on the whole trip, just beautiful water.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We enloyed an excellent meal here with good service. The brie salad and chicken satay were both very tasty. The price is comparable to other restaurants nearby. The ocean view is lovely and the staff very friendly. We will dine here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family