“When are they reopening?”

Kaufman's Bagel & Delicatessen
Ranked #1 of 212 Restaurants in Skokie
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Great corned beef,deli items, pickles etc, but have been closed after a fire. Hope they reopen soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

When you come to Kaufman's you are expected to know what you want because the bakery side in particular seems aggravated if you don't. Which is a shame because their bakery products remain some of the most traditional. For a step up, however, try the Deerfield Bakery, and for bagels Bagel Country.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

I had heard about this place on NPR a few months ago. Since my son goes to school in Chicago, I put it on my bucket list. The NPR story actually noted it as having some of the best rye bread...it does. The corned beef was exquiste: warm, juicy and not too fatty. The sandwiches were huge! Too much, but my son and I could agree...so of course we each ordered one and could only eat 1/2. The chickpea and cucumber salad was fresh and tasy and the other salads looked so, as well. The pickles weren't quite salty enough for me, but crisp...so that was good. They gave us a brownie, which I wasn't going to eat and really just looked like your average grocery store bakery variety. I took a bite...big mistake! I ate the whole thing! What a pleasant surprise! The staff was so welcoming and pleasant...a real small town feel in a big city. (I don't know about the other reviews about rude staff and trying to cheat people...our experience was quite the opposite.) It is not cheap. The quality of the food is not cheap, nor is the corresponding price. Overall, I think it is a good value. I would rather pay for quality. If you don't feel that way, maybe you would be happier ordering off the $ menu at the fast food establishment across the street. Will definitely go out of my way to return! Loved it!

There is limited seating. Mostly a deli (i.e take out).

1  Thank JennATl
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very friendly staff, fresh food, and the best corned beef sandwich in town. Wonderful bakery as well (try the pistachio cheese cake, the lemon bundt cake and the chocolate brownies!) I wish they had more seating.