“Great, unique food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kabul House

Kabul House
Reserve with OpenTable
Kabul House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 203 Restaurants in Skokie
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Afghani
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Great, unique food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was my first time eating at an Afghan restaurant, and if they are all like Kabul House, I'm a fan. The food was different than anywhere I usually eat, portions were generally big, and the price was reasonable. We had two delicious soups (aush-rishta and tomato lentil...prefer the more complex aush-rishta), appetizer of mantoo (tasty, but only 4 pieces), and entrees of Kabuli Palau and Qorma Sabzee (would recommend both). We went on Sunday, so there was easy street parking in downtown Skokie. I do wish, however, they didn't have ESPN and the Food Network on over the bar. That took away from the authenticity.

• Visited July 2013

• Polish first
FL native in the St Louis IL side heartland
“Delicious and exquisite original cuisine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I've never had Afghan food before I came here so I couldn't tell you if it was authentic--but it was without a doubt totally delicious and the restaurant is beautiful with excellent service and dirt cheap for the ambiance, service and food they served. I will come back here every time I come to Chicago!

Visited June 2013
Cortland, New York
“Excellent place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We've discovered this place only in early March. An excellent location. Food is delicious - by far the best meat I've ever had in town. The spices used by the chef on this meat are really great. The waiters and the lady that serve and seat people are very nice and friendly. Great service. You cannot make reservations for groups below 6 people. Sometimes (and we've been here 4 times already in 3 months) we've waited even 40 minutes, but it's totally worth it. Kebabs, baklava, tea...are a must.

• Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Very nice, tasty food - must visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a great place for mediterrnean food. It is better than typical falafel + pita fare. There are different menu items. We tried lentil soup ( mild and very tasty) + Bulanee ( Aloo paratha). I loved that they give pomegranate posder to dust the bulanee. Must try! I had aushak ( veg ravioli) with mint sauce which tasted home made! We also had kabuli pulao. It is a great testing menu. Service is a bit slow but friendly. Place itself is nice. It is not cheap but not overly pricey either. Will definitely go there again!

Parking is a bit tough but there is a public lot a bit farther on the north side. It is a busy street though, so, if you go with kids, keep an eye on them.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Skokie, IL
“Always a wonderful treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our family has been to Kabul House numerous times over several years (both before and after they moved to their new location a couple of years ago - we even ate there when they shared space with a pizza restaurant many years ago). It has always been a delight to eat there. All of the appetizers are superb, the chicken dishes are great, the rice delicious, and the lentil soup outstanding.

My wife and I just ate there again this last week, when I realized I had never reviewed them on TripAdvisor. This time we had chicken kabobs (my wife) and a salmon glazed with a pomegranate sauce (me) along with both the tomato-lentil and another new soup made with chickpeas, noodles, and beans. The lentil soup was as good as always and the chickpea noodle soup was also excellent. The salmon was tender and done just right, served over a delicious green tomato chutney (kind of like a tomatillo sauce).

The Kabul House salad is also good but a warning - they use a LOT of cilantro in their salad (and their side salad served with many dishes seems even heavier on the cilantro) so if cilantro is not your favorite be sure to talk over the items with them ahead of time and perhaps choose one of their various salads with less cilantro.

The staff here is incredibly friendly. While they do not serve wine, they are very friendly and helpful with their BYOB policy. We love going here and have never had a bad experience or poor food. Definitely one of the better restaurants in Skokie.

• Visited March 2013